Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
    Banned

Global Posts
    4,378 Global Posts

Default Re: 8 gig enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Questhate View Post
    FWIW, I got a 16GB. Have not loaded any music or movies -- just apps and a couple of ebooks. I only have 5GB free now.

Some of the more graphically intensive games require large downloads (GTAIII, Shadowgun, etc.). It's better to spend the $50 now and not have to run into a "space" problem that you'll regret later.
    Exactly! It's only $50 more which is a minimal amount when you think of the headaches you'll avoid if you find yourself running out of space. Someone today might think today they don't need more space but that can change in an instant. No device at this day and age should have less than 16GB.
    Banned

Global Posts
    4,378 Global Posts

BTW If I were on a trip and didn't know where I was going, I would rather go out on a full tank of gas rather than a half tank. This can also apply device storage, you just never really know and it's better to have more then what you need.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    4.1.2 stock JB

i picked 8GB and i'm happy! i've 16gb on my phone and mainly use my phone for files!

Nexus 7 is for home use..
    TootNBerry likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #29  

Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cm 10/Franco

Quote Originally Posted by iphart View Post

Funny, majority of people are telling you that 8 is enough. So do I.

I side load mkv movies (500-700M in size) and have Droid TV which I download TV episodes to my Nexus 7 for offline viewing. Also have downloaded lots of apps The trick is to delete what you have already seen.
    Definitely save the $50 and do not worry about the future (I might need this, I might need that!).

Now if you are a heavy duty gamer that is another story. Some games such as the new Batman and Spider man are almost 1.5 gig in size. Then even the 16 is not enough, get another hi capacity tablet.

Well, the rooting aspects of storage size are what might sway me to the 16gig version. I plan on flashing AOKP when I get it. I am worried about running out of usable space with a chunk of the memory used up in nandroids and roms. Maybe I should just leave the hackery to my phone.....

Quote Originally Posted by svfd757 View Post
    Well, the rooting aspects of storage size are what might sway me to the 16gig version. I plan on flashing AOKP when I get it. I am worried about running out of usable space with a chunk of the memory used up in nandroids and roms. Maybe I should just leave the hackery to my phone.....
    You don't have to keep any of that stuff on the device. You can transfer the nandroids off just keep your latest one and only the current rom your running the rest can be left on your computer. Plus most ROMs use less space than the stock ROM does.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    509 Global Posts

I'd say go 16. I'm glad I did. Thinking about an 8gb for the wife though

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:

Think I might go with the 16 gb I dont really want to do the extra $50 but thats not too bad for double the memory guess Does anybody know when best buy is going to start selling them?

ROM
    Bugless Beast! Vicious

For 50 bucks just wait and get the 16. You can never go up if you need to and if you start using different ROMs and such, you will need it. That's my 2 cents my friend.

Global Posts
    17 Global Posts

Well, remember what Bill Gates said back in the 80s. "No one should ever need more than 256k of memory." You can't have too much memory (IMO).

Larry
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #35  

Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cm 10/Franco

Quote Originally Posted by ldfeat View Post
    Well, remember what Bill Gates said back in the 80s. "No one should ever need more than 256k of memory." You can't have too much memory (IMO).

Larry
    Lol. I went with the 8 gig version. Thanks for everyone's input. It should be here Monday or Tuesday. Can't wait

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    BB World Edition->Moto Droid->BB Tour->Moto RAZR->Samsung Galaxy Nexus->Google Nexus 7->iPhone 5
    Always remember to wipe your Davlik!!!

I think you'll be fine with the 8GB. If you do alot of ebooks, just keep them on Dropbox or Google Drive. If you do alot of offline movie viewing, I'd say put them on an external disk or thumbdrive until you need them. It's too easy to mount drives once you got the Nexus 7 rooted. That way you'll always have room for a large game if you wish. I like the Nexus 7 because it actually gives me file system access, unlike my IPad. If I want to download a TV show torrent while I'm sitting watching the football game, I can do it with my Nexus 7 tablet, but not at all with my IPad. IPad is great tool and has a lot of good apps and very visually appealing apps also.
    F34RTEHDR01D

Global Posts
    544 Global Posts

I had to at least have the 16GB... what I use in regards to the space available only increases the longer I have the tablet. 8GB would have been fine to start out with.. unfortunately it wouldn't have lasted long.

Quote Originally Posted by svfd757 View Post
    Okay, I'm sure this has been covered. Couldn't find it so I decided to take whatever ripping I receive. That being said, here is my question..

For those of you how have the 8 gig version, is it enough space? I am a little bit of a tight wad and don't want to spend the extra $50 if I don't have to. For the most part I don't play a lot of games so this is not a concern. Mainly I would use it for web browsing and book/magazine reading.

I am seriously thinking about getting the 8 gig. I am just fearful that it will not be enough memory.

Thoughts?
    I have 2GB left on my 16GB N7 and I really wish it had more space. I hate depending on free wifi on the go. It's not secure or dependable. I want to take my entertainment with me. I feel like I am obligated to pick exactly what books, comics, music or movies that I might be in the mood for later on and hope that I'm still in the mood for them later.

I'd prefer the option of just storing a couple dozen GB of media on my device and pick what i'm in the mood for OTG. I really hate the idea of having to shell out for a adapter to attach a flash drive to my N7. Samsung pulled that crap with the original 10.1" Galaxy Tab, where they sold a SD Card and USB attachment to load files OTG. That's three items I need for OTG media. The tablet, the adapter and the flash drive. I'd rather keep it simple and have either more internal memory or a microSD card slot.

I could unload a huge chunk of media from my laptop onto a 64GB microSD card and never need to carry my laptop with me on a trip. Both Samsung and Amazon realized that storage was an issue and corrected the mistake with their second generation. Hopefully Google does as well and adds a 32GB or 64GB model to their next tablet.

I went with the 8GB model. Loaded it with everything I wanted and still have 3.5 GB left over.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    127 Global Posts

8GB easily holds apps, photos, etc. but personally I like having movies/music for trips (or any other time I'm idle and can't get wifi) which just wouldn't be possible with 8GB.

Depends how you plan to use yours but a big part of having a tablet for me is having something to keep me entertained on road trips.

I have had my 8gb since July 21st. I am not a big gamer and being 66yo, my eye/hand is not what it once was so Temple Run is type game I can handle. I have 125 apps including Kindle, Nook, Kobo, Aldiko, Overdrive Media, HBOGo, Xfinity Player, running a custom ROM with Nova Launcher and have 2 other ROM,s backed up. And I still have 1.5gb unused.

I keep my music in the Cloud along with Pandora for when I'm around WiFi. When I'm on a trip I have all my movies on a 16gb mini flash drive and my music on another 16gb mini flash drive.

8gb's are just fine with me!!!! It's all about different strokes for different folks!!!!
    NookColor running CM10.1
    Galaxy Note running RootBox
    Nexus 7 Running JellyBam v7

If you use USB OTG, the 8GB should be fine, as you'll have unlimited external storage.

IMO if you want to store music or photos on the device it is not enough. I have 8 gb of music on mine.

Global Posts
    224 Global Posts

I think you should be OK, get a USB on the go if you wanna watch a movie or to, some games take up ridiculous amounts of memory though.

20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #45  

Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cm 10/Franco

I'm enjoying my 8gig. Music stays on my phone because I put it in my pocket when listening to music. I keep only the newest Maxim magazine then delete it. I'm happy with 8 gig. I have 3 "big" games and still have over 4 gigs left.

BB World Edition->Moto Droid->BB Tour->Moto RAZR->Samsung Galaxy Nexus->Google Nexus 7->iPhone 5

If/when I get one, I'll go for the 16GB version. Simply because in Canada a lot of Google's services are not available (in this case Google Music is a big one for me), so I would have to rely on storage rather then cloud. On top of that I have limited data (2GB/month) so even if it was available, heavy streaming would only be done where I have wifi anyway as opposed to tethering to my phone.

Different usage, different needs, and all that. 8GB might be enough for me, but I think I'd rather spend the extra $50 and NOT need the space then constantly be juggling stuff back and forth and wishing I had spent the money.

(FWIW, my Gnex also has 16GB storage and I think the most I've used was a total of 10GB including ROM and nandroids, etc). Usually less then that but its nice having the space should I need it.
    Banned

Global Posts
    4,378 Global Posts

the new Amazin tablets were all made starting at 16 GB. Amazon knows that 8GB is useless in today's tablet and mobile device market. Google also should have never made an 8gb model,instead they should have offered 16 and 32gb models. Lets hope they get it right next time around.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #48  

Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cm 10/Franco

Quote Originally Posted by jd914 View Post
    the new Amazin tablets were all made starting at 16 GB. Amazon knows that 8GB is useless in today's tablet and mobile device market. Google also should have never made an 8gb model,instead they should have offered 16 and 32gb models. Lets hope they get it right next time around.
    Let's also hope that they get the quality issues worked out BEFORE release. I've experienced zero issues, but there seems to be a vocal minority out there freely expressing their issues.

Quote Originally Posted by ldfeat View Post

Larry
    Actually it was "640K" the maximum amount that the original PC supported. But ya'll get the point.

- - - Updated - - -

The Kindle Fire and new Kindle Fire HD are made to lock you into the Amazon content world, like the iphone, iTouch and iPad do for Apple. They will give you the memory you need to get enough of their content, until it's time to upgrade.

Google is a bit different, yes they want you to want their content, however their content is the "clouds". But with 8GB you are very limited, if you don't go $50 more for 16GB now you will not be able to make the best use of the device, and will regret it later, IMO.
    Maxwell was the 1st "Smart" phone user......

Have the 16GB and to this point seems fine to me, I haven't done any of the rooting.
    Follow Ya Boy @BiGTo0T
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast