8 gig enough?

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I bought the 16 just in case. I've installed every random thing I could think of and I've managed to use 1gb....lol...well you never know.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I own more than 1 tablet and I think that has alot to do with how much space you really need. If you use your devices purposely then you can keep the right data on the right device and not everything on every device. You will find that you don't really need ALL your data on the Nexus7 but if you don't have other tablets/PCs then you will be more likely to need more space than the 8gb. I bought the 8gb model and it fits my purposes perfectly.

iphart

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the responses. Leaning toward 16 right now.

Funny, majority of people are telling you that 8 is enough. So do I.

I side load mkv movies (500-700M in size) and have Droid TV which I download TV episodes to my Nexus 7 for offline viewing. Also have downloaded lots of apps The trick is to delete what you have already seen.
Definitely save the $50 and do not worry about the future (I might need this, I might need that!).

Now if you are a heavy duty gamer that is another story. Some games such as the new Batman and Spider man are almost 1.5 gig in size. Then even the 16 is not enough, get another hi capacity tablet.

Questhate

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
FWIW, I got a 16GB. Have not loaded any music or movies -- just apps and a couple of ebooks. I only have 5GB free now.

Some of the more graphically intensive games require large downloads (GTAIII, Shadowgun, etc.). It's better to spend the $50 now and not have to run into a "space" problem that you'll regret later.

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site

I side load mkv movies (500-700M in size) and have Droid TV which I download TV episodes to my Nexus 7 for offline viewing. Also have downloaded lots of apps The trick is to delete what you have already seen.
Definitely save the $50 and do not worry about the future (I might need this, I might need that!).

Now if you are a heavy duty gamer that is another story. Some games such as the new Batman and Spider man are almost 1.5 gig in size. Then even the 16 is not enough, get another hi capacity tablet.

bad advise what works for you might not work for the OP. I would never suggest the least amount of space available especially if it's only $50 more to get double that space. Always err on the side of caution when choosing disk space. I just downloaded Sonic 4 part two and it was over 500 MB. Luckily I don't have to worry about space because I have a 16GB (actually a little over 13gb). On the other hand those with 8gb(less than 6gb) have to think twice of what to download. It's always better to not worry than wind up deleting apps, music and movies because you chose to skimp on a measly $50. Just my two cents.

Reactions: svfd757

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
FWIW, I got a 16GB. Have not loaded any music or movies -- just apps and a couple of ebooks. I only have 5GB free now.

Some of the more graphically intensive games require large downloads (GTAIII, Shadowgun, etc.). It's better to spend the $50 now and not have to run into a "space" problem that you'll regret later.

Exactly! It's only $50 more which is a minimal amount when you think of the headaches you'll avoid if you find yourself running out of space. Someone today might think today they don't need more space but that can change in an instant. No device at this day and age should have less than 16GB.

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
BTW If I were on a trip and didn't know where I was going, I would rather go out on a full tank of gas rather than a half tank. This can also apply device storage, you just never really know and it's better to have more then what you need.

svfd757

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site

Well, the rooting aspects of storage size are what might sway me to the 16gig version. I plan on flashing AOKP when I get it. I am worried about running out of usable space with a chunk of the memory used up in nandroids and roms. Maybe I should just leave the hackery to my phone.....

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Well, the rooting aspects of storage size are what might sway me to the 16gig version. I plan on flashing AOKP when I get it. I am worried about running out of usable space with a chunk of the memory used up in nandroids and roms. Maybe I should just leave the hackery to my phone.....

You don't have to keep any of that stuff on the device. You can transfer the nandroids off just keep your latest one and only the current rom your running the rest can be left on your computer. Plus most ROMs use less space than the stock ROM does.

Dizzo1992

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Think I might go with the 16 gb I dont really want to do the extra $50 but thats not too bad for double the memory guess :) Does anybody know when best buy is going to start selling them?

junglesnake98

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
For 50 bucks just wait and get the 16. You can never go up if you need to and if you start using different ROMs and such, you will need it. That's my 2 cents my friend.

ldfeat

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Well, remember what Bill Gates said back in the 80s. "No one should ever need more than 256k of memory." You can't have too much memory (IMO).

Larry

svfd757

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
Well, remember what Bill Gates said back in the 80s. "No one should ever need more than 256k of memory." You can't have too much memory (IMO).

Larry

Lol. I went with the 8 gig version. Thanks for everyone's input. It should be here Monday or Tuesday. Can't wait

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

twashington4

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
I think you'll be fine with the 8GB. If you do alot of ebooks, just keep them on Dropbox or Google Drive. If you do alot of offline movie viewing, I'd say put them on an external disk or thumbdrive until you need them. It's too easy to mount drives once you got the Nexus 7 rooted. That way you'll always have room for a large game if you wish. I like the Nexus 7 because it actually gives me file system access, unlike my IPad. If I want to download a TV show torrent while I'm sitting watching the football game, I can do it with my Nexus 7 tablet, but not at all with my IPad. IPad is great tool and has a lot of good apps and very visually appealing apps also.

F34R

F34RTEHDR01D
Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I had to at least have the 16GB... what I use in regards to the space available only increases the longer I have the tablet. 8GB would have been fine to start out with.. unfortunately it wouldn't have lasted long. :)

May 23, 2012
Visit site
Okay, I'm sure this has been covered. Couldn't find it so I decided to take whatever ripping I receive. That being said, here is my question..

For those of you how have the 8 gig version, is it enough space? I am a little bit of a tight wad and don't want to spend the extra $50 if I don't have to. For the most part I don't play a lot of games so this is not a concern. Mainly I would use it for web browsing and book/magazine reading.

I am seriously thinking about getting the 8 gig. I am just fearful that it will not be enough memory.

Thoughts?

I have 2GB left on my 16GB N7 and I really wish it had more space. I hate depending on free wifi on the go. It's not secure or dependable. I want to take my entertainment with me. I feel like I am obligated to pick exactly what books, comics, music or movies that I might be in the mood for later on and hope that I'm still in the mood for them later.

I'd prefer the option of just storing a couple dozen GB of media on my device and pick what i'm in the mood for OTG. I really hate the idea of having to shell out for a adapter to attach a flash drive to my N7. Samsung pulled that crap with the original 10.1" Galaxy Tab, where they sold a SD Card and USB attachment to load files OTG. That's three items I need for OTG media. The tablet, the adapter and the flash drive. I'd rather keep it simple and have either more internal memory or a microSD card slot.

I could unload a huge chunk of media from my laptop onto a 64GB microSD card and never need to carry my laptop with me on a trip. Both Samsung and Amazon realized that storage was an issue and corrected the mistake with their second generation. Hopefully Google does as well and adds a 32GB or 64GB model to their next tablet.

ZachA

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I went with the 8GB model. Loaded it with everything I wanted and still have 3.5 GB left over.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

quamdar

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
8GB easily holds apps, photos, etc. but personally I like having movies/music for trips (or any other time I'm idle and can't get wifi) which just wouldn't be possible with 8GB.

Depends how you plan to use yours but a big part of having a tablet for me is having something to keep me entertained on road trips.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol