Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cm 10/Franco

Default 8 gig enough?

Okay, I'm sure this has been covered. Couldn't find it so I decided to take whatever ripping I receive. That being said, here is my question..

For those of you how have the 8 gig version, is it enough space? I am a little bit of a tight wad and don't want to spend the extra $50 if I don't have to. For the most part I don't play a lot of games so this is not a concern. Mainly I would use it for web browsing and book/magazine reading.

I am seriously thinking about getting the 8 gig. I am just fearful that it will not be enough memory.

Thoughts?

Default Re: 8 gig enough?

i have the 8 gig, i stream all my movies and music, netflix etc, i have installed a ton of apps, loads of games including dead trigger, shadowgun, sprinkle, lots of books, and i have 2+ gig left so i would say your good with 8gig if you want it just for browsing etc.

As long as you don't like to store video or large apps, you're fine.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

8gb fine for me. If you want to carry music etc consider rooting and using stickmount with an otg cable and a flash drive.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    Manning the AC Euro office since 2011

ROM
    Stock

I figured the 8GB would be plenty for me since I don't really intend to load much local stuff to it. So I bought the 16GB anyway, because in 6 months I will probably be doing things with it that I can't anticipate today.

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts

8 gigs is enough for me. I stream everything, and any music I need for offline I have on my phone. I still have a little over 3 gigs left of storage after several apps, games and a few LWP.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Banned

Global Posts
    4,377 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by svfd757 View Post
    Okay, I'm sure this has been covered. Couldn't find it so I decided to take whatever ripping I receive. That being said, here is my question..

For those of you how have the 8 gig version, is it enough space? I am a little bit of a tight wad and don't want to spend the extra $50 if I don't have to. For the most part I don't play a lot of games so this is not a concern. Mainly I would use it for web browsing and book/magazine reading.

I am seriously thinking about getting the 8 gig. I am just fearful that it will not be enough memory.

Thoughts?
    If you can, shell out the extra $50. It's always better to have more storage space than what you need. You're really getting about 6gb which you can fill up easily.

8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cm 10/Franco

Thanks for the responses. Leaning toward 16 right now.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    BB World Edition->Moto Droid->BB Tour->Moto RAZR->Samsung Galaxy Nexus->Google Nexus 7->iPhone 5
    Always remember to wipe your Davlik!!!
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

Lest you forget space for nandroids, roms, and associated loveliness .

16GB isnt enough!
    MichaelPayton21 likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    4,377 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DreamSTi View Post
    16GB isnt enough!
    I totally agree if there was a 32 available, that's what I would have gotten. The last thing I would want to worry about is running out of space. 8gb simply wasn't an option for me.

MichaelPayton21 likes this.

8GB is enough, I have loaded all the apps I want on my 16GB and i still have 11GB left, so im only using 5Gbs, so again 8 should be enough
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cm 10/Franco

Quote Originally Posted by dmmarck View Post
    Lest you forget space for nandroids, roms, and associated loveliness .
    That was going to be my next question. Let's say I get the 8 gig version. How much space is required for let's say a rom, Gapps, 2 nandroids? I'm sure that stuff adds up. A gig?

BB World Edition->Moto Droid->BB Tour->Moto RAZR->Samsung Galaxy Nexus->Google Nexus 7->iPhone 5
    Always remember to wipe your Davlik!!!

If you aren't interested in offline viewing of movies, etc, the 8gb should be fine.
    If you are interested in offline viewing, but are willing to root (then use stickmount and USB OTG), 8 GB should be fine.
    If you are interested in offline viewing, but don't want to root, get the 16gb.
    VickMackey#AC likes this.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

That was going to be my next question. Let's say I get the 8 gig version. How much space is required for let's say a rom, Gapps, 2 nandroids? I'm sure that stuff adds up. A gig?

Some nandroids are a gig and above, at least some of mine are. So if a rom and gapps is 200 to 300 megs, you're looking at what, maybe 1.2 to 1.5 gigs?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:

16 is better resale...

Sold 2 already...

I got the 8 gig. I installed every possible app I can think of the that I might need. That includes one super large video game. I have 125 apps and still have two gigs left over.

How much of the 8 gigs is actually available?

Quote Originally Posted by icwhatudidthere View Post
    NookColor running CM10.1
    Galaxy Note running RootBox
    Nexus 7 Running JellyBam v7
    Thanked by:
    Banned

Global Posts
    4,377 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by icwhatudidthere View Post
    with 16GB you actually get 13.24.

So with an 8GB you have to figure that at least 2.76GB is dedicated to the OS.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    543 Global Posts

I bought the 16 just in case. I've installed every random thing I could think of and I've managed to use 1gb....lol...well you never know.

I own more than 1 tablet and I think that has alot to do with how much space you really need. If you use your devices purposely then you can keep the right data on the right device and not everything on every device. You will find that you don't really need ALL your data on the Nexus7 but if you don't have other tablets/PCs then you will be more likely to need more space than the 8gb. I bought the 8gb model and it fits my purposes perfectly.

Global Posts
    18 Global Posts

Thanks for the responses. Leaning toward 16 right now.

Funny, majority of people are telling you that 8 is enough. So do I.

I side load mkv movies (500-700M in size) and have Droid TV which I download TV episodes to my Nexus 7 for offline viewing. Also have downloaded lots of apps The trick is to delete what you have already seen.
    Definitely save the $50 and do not worry about the future (I might need this, I might need that!).

Now if you are a heavy duty gamer that is another story. Some games such as the new Batman and Spider man are almost 1.5 gig in size. Then even the 16 is not enough, get another hi capacity tablet.

FWIW, I got a 16GB. Have not loaded any music or movies -- just apps and a couple of ebooks. I only have 5GB free now.

Some of the more graphically intensive games require large downloads (GTAIII, Shadowgun, etc.). It's better to spend the $50 now and not have to run into a "space" problem that you'll regret later.
    Banned

Global Posts
    4,377 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iphart View Post

Funny, majority of people are telling you that 8 is enough. So do I.

I side load mkv movies (500-700M in size) and have Droid TV which I download TV episodes to my Nexus 7 for offline viewing. Also have downloaded lots of apps The trick is to delete what you have already seen.
    Definitely save the $50 and do not worry about the future (I might need this, I might need that!).

Now if you are a heavy duty gamer that is another story. Some games such as the new Batman and Spider man are almost 1.5 gig in size. Then even the 16 is not enough, get another hi capacity tablet.
    bad advise what works for you might not work for the OP. I would never suggest the least amount of space available especially if it's only $50 more to get double that space. Always err on the side of caution when choosing disk space. I just downloaded Sonic 4 part two and it was over 500 MB. Luckily I don't have to worry about space because I have a 16GB (actually a little over 13gb). On the other hand those with 8gb(less than 6gb) have to think twice of what to download. It's always better to not worry than wind up deleting apps, music and movies because you chose to skimp on a measly $50. Just my two cents.
    Thanked by:
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast