The iPad just officially got Amazon Instant Video

Aguaski

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Apple is still in control!!!!!

I would be willing to bet that Amazon is restricting access because the iPad is jail broken. Amazon probably has tools that allow them to identify rooted and jail broken devices. I love to bash Apple, but I don't see a basis for blaming Apple for this restriction.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Here's something funny. My grandson has an IPad and he wanted to use my Prime account to stream videos. In order to use this on an IPad, you have to download a special app. Well, it turns out that he couldn't d/l the app because his IPad is "jail broke"!!!! Apple is still in control!!!!!

I have no problem with companies that restrict their apps from "jail broken" and even rooted devices.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
They can't ignore that there are more iPads and Android tablets out there than Kindle Fire devices. I'd argue that it's cheaper for them to support the other tablets than it is for them to take a loss on their own hardware.

Yes, but also a lot less certain.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt

Irvgotti

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Would the different screen size have anything to do with it? Aren't all the iPads the same in screen size? I know I've read some post where its just easier to do something app wise on the iPad. U have android tabs in ,many different sizes , so ,maybe they are working to get it on all devices instead of the 7in tabs.

mkiker2089

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
I think we are all getting a little paranoid here. We don't NEED an app. Well actually we do as in Jellybean, but Android doesn't NEED the app like the iPad people do. Amazon.com works on Android, it didn't on the iPad. It's really that simple, there are no conspiracy's. The man behind the curtain is the window washer, I promise.

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Sure, we don't need an application but I would love to be able to "rent" movies and download them locally for short times like you can in Play Video. It may seem unnecessary, but I travel a lot by plane and like to watch movies while in the air.

Steve

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

ravenas

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I think you've all missed one important thing. You can already watch amazon on <4.1 devices with no hacking and 4.1 with little effort via flash. IOS has been totally in the dark.

Also consider that the Nexus and Fire are both loss leaders.

Precisely!

Releasing the Amazon Instant Video app just gave new life to my iPad2, which had been collecting dust in a corner. Amazon needed to do something if they hoped to remain relevant in the digital content sphere. There was no other way to consume Amazon content on iOS.

I suspect we'll see an Android app around the time the Fire 2 is announced. Now that the Nexus 7 is popping up in Walmart, there's a push of new digital subscribers. They'll go to the Google Play store unless Amazon makes it easy for them.

I doubt the real money is in the Prime subscribership. The service gives Amazon a steady cash stream, but it is relatively tiny compared to the cost of licensing video. The real money is in getting people to rent or buy video.

retsaw

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
I have no problem with companies that restrict their apps from "jail broken" and even rooted devices.

And I have no problem not doing business with companies who don't provide content in a way that is most convenient to me. Amazon blocking jailbroken devices is stupid, it won't make a lick of difference to people who want to pirate content (they'd get it from elsewhere anyway), but it will annoy some of their customers who would otherwise be willing to pay. Amazon (or the media companies) are absolutely free to be stupid in their business practises, just as I'm free not to give them money when they are stupid.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
And I have no problem not doing business with companies who don't provide content in a way that is most convenient to me. Amazon blocking jailbroken devices is stupid, it won't make a lick of difference to people who want to pirate content (they'd get it from elsewhere anyway), but it will annoy some of their customers who would otherwise be willing to pay. Amazon (or the media companies) are absolutely free to be stupid in their business practises, just as I'm free not to give them money when they are stupid.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

And that's what you should do. More people should speak with their wallet rather than moan and on an internet forum.

Aguaski

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I doubt the real money is in the Prime subscribership. The service gives Amazon a steady cash stream, but it is relatively tiny compared to the cost of licensing video. The real money is in getting people to rent or buy video.

Prime is larger than video and the associated licensing cost. Prime is a benefit to your entire Amazon relationship. Check out all the benefits of having a Prime account. Amazon understands that if you are a loyal Prime account holder that you are more likely to buy all kinds of goods and services they offer. I don't see why Amazon would not want to make Instant Video available in the form of a true app on every device and every OS. Making video available would drive more Prime subscribers, and more Prime subscribers translates to more profits from goods and services available through Amazon.

dportal2006

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
again, why does iOS get everything first? I don't get it. I would love the Amazon Instant Video app on my Nexus 7. That is really the only thing I miss from my Kindle Fire.

I have amazon prime but also Netflix so I don't think I am missing a whole lot. I find the Netflix app to be a little bare bone though.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
again, why does iOS get everything first? I don't get it. I would love the Amazon Instant Video app on my Nexus 7. That is really the only thing I miss from my Kindle Fire.
because Amazon is cunning!!! They dont want us to buy Nexus 7 and they are restricting so that people will buy Kindle fire!!!

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Uh. iOS gets stuff first because it's easier to support 2 SKUs vs. hundreds.

Reactions: Jussumguy88

Jussumguy88

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
Does Amazon really care if you buy a Kindle Fire? I thought the whole point of the Fire was for Amazon to provide a gateway device for selling you Amazon content. Amazon is not making much money on the Fire, and early articles even suggested that offering the Fire was an Amazon gamble that required Amazon to realize a small loss on each unit sold. I believe more recent analysis shows that Amazon breaks even when they sell a device. But my point is that Amazon offers the Fire so that you will buy more from Amazon. Since content is what Amazon is really interested in selling you, I think it would be to their benefit to allow all content on any device. It may be even more profitable for Amazon when you are willing to bring your own device to consume their services.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

You, sir, make an excellent point.

Sid Samuels

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
That can't be it because I have the app on my jailbroken iPad.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Would the different screen size have anything to do with it? Aren't all the iPads the same in screen size? I know I've read some post where its just easier to do something app wise on the iPad. U have android tabs in ,many different sizes , so ,maybe they are working to get it on all devices instead of the 7in tabs.

This right here.

Developing for iOS is easier, because there are very few differentiations in aspect ratio and resolution. With Android it seems like every new device is a little different, and if you look around at different apps in the Android store, you'll see people with this phone or that tablet having issues with an app, forcing the developer to debug their apps for specific devices.

Also, there are more iOS devices than Android, so it's a larger market.

Finally, I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon is looking at non-Kindle Android tablets as competition, and thus much more hesitant to develop for them. When you look at Kindle vs iPad, it's a whole different device & pricepoint, so while they are somewhat in competition, in many ways they're really not. It's like KIA viewing BMW as competition. While they both sell cars, they're appealing to very different people. Android tablets, however, tend to be more budget friendly, and in direct competition with the Kindle Fire. So that leaves Amazon in a quandry: should they offer a Prime Video app on Android and increase the appeal of getting a Prime membership, but potentially lose a lot of Fire sales (and thus possibly lose other sales that would've been made by keeping users locked into the Amazon ecosystem). Obviously for users, the more accessible the services are, the better for us, but Amazon has to look at things in terms of profits, both short and long term.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
This right here.

Developing for iOS is easier, because there are very few differentiations in aspect ratio and resolution. With Android it seems like every new device is a little different, and if you look around at different apps in the Android store, you'll see people with this phone or that tablet having issues with an app, forcing the developer to debug their apps for specific devices.

Also, there are more iOS devices than Android, so it's a larger market.

Finally, I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon is looking at non-Kindle Android tablets as competition, and thus much more hesitant to develop for them. When you look at Kindle vs iPad, it's a whole different device & pricepoint, so while they are somewhat in competition, in many ways they're really not. It's like KIA viewing BMW as competition. While they both sell cars, they're appealing to very different people. Android tablets, however, tend to be more budget friendly, and in direct competition with the Kindle Fire. So that leaves Amazon in a quandry: should they offer a Prime Video app on Android and increase the appeal of getting a Prime membership, but potentially lose a lot of Fire sales (and thus possibly lose other sales that would've been made by keeping users locked into the Amazon ecosystem). Obviously for users, the more accessible the services are, the better for us, but Amazon has to look at things in terms of profits, both short and long term.

Here's the thing. If you use Amazon Instant Video, you're more likely to be a Prime member - you're already locked in the Amazon ecosystem for at least a year. I don't think Amazon cares if you're watching on a Kindle Fire or an iPad. They already have you.

Some would say that they might prefer that you watch on an iPad so they don't have to sell you a Kindle Fire at a loss to them.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Here's the thing. If you use Amazon Instant Video, you're more likely to be a Prime member - you're already locked in the Amazon ecosystem for at least a year.

Not at all. I'm a Prime member, and I buy most of my music through Google, order a lot of my electronics through Newegg, etc. I'm not at all locked into their ecosystem, but if I had a Kindle, it would be more of a pain to buy stuff through other venues on my tablet.

Some would say that they might prefer that you watch on an iPad so they don't have to sell you a Kindle Fire at a loss to them.

And those folks don't understand how these ecosystems work.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Not at all. I'm a Prime member, and I buy most of my music through Google, order a lot of my electronics through Newegg, etc. I'm not at all locked into their ecosystem, but if I had a Kindle, it would be more of a pain to buy stuff through other venues on my tablet.

Curious, what are you paying Amazon $75/year for?

You say most of your music. Does that means some still comes from Amazon MP3?

You say a lot of electronics through Newegg. Does that mean you comparison shop and Newegg usually has the better deal?

And those folks don't understand how these ecosystems work.

Saying "locked" probably isn't the best description for Amazon. I can turn an iPad into a Kindle Fire if I was that deep into Amazon but didn't want a Kindle Fire. The main missing piece is Amazon Instant Video for Android if I wanted to turn an Android device into a Kindle Fire. Amazon's approach to it's ecosystem has always been to make their content available in as many places as possible, even video game consoles.