Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 21 of 21
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By natehoy
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    jonmall's Avatar

    Posts
    17 Posts
    ROM
    BCM ICS 4.1U2 (Desire)

    Default How many of you guys have fixed the screen lifting issue?

    Hey I was just wondering how many of you guys fixed the screen lifting issue? I have it on the left side of my Nexus 7 and am contemplating whether or not to fix it myself or keeping it that way. Returning it would mean sending it abroad and I don't want to wait a month to have it back .

    If you did fix it, how hard was it? Any broken parts?
  2. #2  

    Default Re: How many of you guys have fixed the screen lifting issue?

    I've tried tightening screws, loosening then tightening screws, heating it up (by running a cpu intensive application for hours) and then administering pressure to "reseat" the glue all to no avail. Finally I broke down and applied some superglue--very carefully--to the problem area (center left hand side) and left clamped over night. Since then no problems at all. The screen is solid and everything seems good to go. I also would have needed to send my Nexus overseas for a replacement and didn't want to wait.
    Thanked by:
  3. #3  
    natehoy's Avatar

    Posts
    1,648 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: How many of you guys have fixed the screen lifting issue?

    My separation was so small as to be virtually unnoticeable, and the screen eventually settled down on its own - well, under the influence of me holding it at the point where it raised while reading a book. There may be a little raise left, but I honestly can't tell and the "releasing from glue" sound is entirely gone.

    I've had it for exactly a week - one week to go for an easy return/exchange at Staples. Honestly, though, you can have this Nexus when you pry it from my cold, dead hands. Now that the screen has settled in, there's not a single thing I can find fault with.

    Not too shabby for a $250 toy!
    jonmall likes this.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: How many of you guys have fixed the screen lifting issue?

    after holding it down with heavy object, it came back out.
    im just going to use it as it is.
  5. #5  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by natehoy View Post
    My separation was so small as to be virtually unnoticeable, and the screen eventually settled down on its own - well, under the influence of me holding it at the point where it raised while reading a book. There may be a little raise left, but I honestly can't tell and the "releasing from glue" sound is entirely gone.
    Same here.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
  6. #6  

    Default

    I have the stock nexus case that has an edge all the way around,so my glass no longer separates

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
  7. #7  

    Default Re: How many of you guys have fixed the screen lifting issue?

    I fixed mine by pressing it between the clamps on a children's clothes hanger. I used a sock to provide some cushion to the glass. Once I got it clamped down, I simply left it in my car for about 3 hours while I was at work. The temperature hit about 99 that day so it was probably about 110 in the car. Its been about 6 days and it hasn't popped back up yet.
    Thanked by 2:
  8. #8  
    ldfeat's Avatar

    Posts
    14 Posts
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts

    Default Re: How many of you guys have fixed the screen lifting issue?

    I saw a vision at visit where they disassembled the N7 and there is no glue. They separated the the unit by Prying it loose with a thin plastic screwdriver. It just snaps back together. The battery is easy to change too.

    Larry
  9. #9  

    Default

    There is a tiny bit of lifting on mine that tightening the screws didn't fix. It isn't bad enough, however, to make me go through the hassle of getting it replaced. It's barely noticeable.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  10. #10  

    Default

    I thought I had a perfect unit but maybe I have a slight separation...will keep an eye on it as I just got it yesterday. But I really had to look for it so not sure that it isn't just paranoidal :o

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
  11. #11  

    Default Re: How many of you guys have fixed the screen lifting issue?

    I too used three small clamps with folded up kleenex on the glass for cushion. Placed it in my car while at work with temperatures that day hitting above 100. Let it cool down before removing the clamps, and it is completely set. Hasn't raised at all in over a week.
  12. #12  

    Default

    I've noticed a slight creaking on the left side of my n7 but in my case it's so minor I wouldn't call it a separation. I wouldn't try glueing it in case you want to open the case some day to change the battery.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
  13. #13  
    monotok's Avatar

    Posts
    33 Posts
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts

    Default Re: How many of you guys have fixed the screen lifting issue?

    I had the raised screen on the left side. I too didn't want to return it as I'm a tinkerer and wanted to fix it myself. I tried tightening the screws which did not work, I then tried using the plastic washer method which worked but if you looked at it directly from above the left hand side silver strip was a few millimetres apart from the screen compared to the other side which was touching the bezel. Also a slight touch on the left side would cause a lot of LCD liquid distortion and I decided I should return it.

    It is effort but I thought I would rather have a working unit, I didn't want dust getting in the screen or anything either and I'm a little OCD about these things haha
  14. #14  
    ldfeat's Avatar

    Posts
    14 Posts
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts

    Default Re: How many of you guys have fixed the screen lifting issue?

    Quote Originally Posted by zeus042581 View Post
    I've tried tightening screws, loosening then tightening screws, heating it up (by running a cpu intensive application for hours) and then administering pressure to "reseat" the glue all to no avail. Finally I broke down and applied some superglue--very carefully--to the problem area (center left hand side) and left clamped over night. Since then no problems at all. The screen is solid and everything seems good to go. I also would have needed to send my Nexus overseas for a replacement and didn't want to wait.
    The N7 is not glued together. Saw it on Fixit . They used a thin plastic screwdriver to Separate/unsnap the two halves. Battery is easy to replace too.
    Larry
  15. #15  

    Default Re: How many of you guys have fixed the screen lifting issue?

    Why have they not fixed this problem yet? just got mine other day and it is separating damn that makes me mad
  16. #16  

    Default Re: How many of you guys have fixed the screen lifting issue?

    Quote Originally Posted by ldfeat View Post
    I saw a vision at visit where they disassembled the N7 and there is no glue. They separated the the unit by Prying it loose with a thin plastic screwdriver. It just snaps back together. The battery is easy to change too.

    Larry
    Quote Originally Posted by sixstring2012 View Post
    I've noticed a slight creaking on the left side of my n7 but in my case it's so minor I wouldn't call it a separation. I wouldn't try glueing it in case you want to open the case some day to change the battery.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by ldfeat View Post
    The N7 is not glued together. Saw it on Fixit . They used a thin plastic screwdriver to Separate/unsnap the two halves. Battery is easy to replace too.
    Larry

    we're not talking about the back cover being glued to the nexus, the screen is glued to the bezel and/or the screen backing I believe. It is defienitely glued to the bezel and mine came loose on the left side, causing the lift.
  17. #17  
    vzwty's Avatar

    Posts
    189 Posts
    Global Posts
    509 Global Posts

    Default Re: How many of you guys have fixed the screen lifting issue?

    Quote Originally Posted by phatboy29m View Post
    I fixed mine by pressing it between the clamps on a children's clothes hanger. I used a sock to provide some cushion to the glass. Once I got it clamped down, I simply left it in my car for about 3 hours while I was at work. The temperature hit about 99 that day so it was probably about 110 in the car. Its been about 6 days and it hasn't popped back up yet.
    I tried the clamp but didn't get it very hot. I might give this another try since tightening the screws didn't fix it.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: How many of you guys have fixed the screen lifting issue?

    These tablets should NOT have lift issues...if yours does..return for one that doesn't...my first was a C70 that had it plus screen became unresponsive...my new is a C60 and is perfect!..bought from Walmart...there are just bad units out there...


    Luck!
  19. #19  

    Default Re: How many of you guys have fixed the screen lifting issue?

    I had slight creaking on the right side but it wasn't really enough to bother opening up the back for. Now that I have a case for it, the screen doesn't creak as I am no longer holding the Nexus in the same way. So for a quick fix, get a (secure) case.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: How many of you guys have fixed the screen lifting issue?

    My screen lift was so incredibly minimal it wasn't in the slightest worth complaining about.

    But then my screen cracked in two places when I was holding it, so it's suddenly become a bit of a fiasco. Hoping ASUS doesn't give me the bird as they've given countless other people... but I'm counting on it. I foresee many long winded arguments in my near future.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: How many of you guys have fixed the screen lifting issue?

    For customer service and repairs, ASUS is the point of contact instead of Google, right? Has anyone tried to get ASUS to repair it under warranty?

Posting Permissions