Is Google Now Device Specific?

icwhatudidthere

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I read an article yesterday about how the author had to walk around with his hotspot on so Google Now could track him and update his cards. That got me to wonder if Google Now will be smart enough to consolidate a user's profile from multiple devices.

I'm guessing there aren't too many people yet with Google Now on multiple devices, but if there were any, they'd be here.

So will Google Now display one set of cards on my future Jelly Bean tablet and another on my Jelly Bean phone? Or will it know that it should display my commuter traffic report on my tablet in the morning even though I've only ever used my phone in the car?

ziggster

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Yes, Google Now consolidates information from multiple devices.

I usually leave my N7 at home during the day. If I locate something on Google Maps at the office (on my desktop) using Chrome & signed in to my gmail account (not signed in to Chrome), a card will appear on my N7 in Google Now (at home) offering to navigate to whatever I mapped. I have had the same thing happen for flight info.

Once you get past the whole 'Big Brother' thing, its pretty cool. There is not much practical application for me considering the N7 is wifi only, but on a phone Google Now would be great.

Reactions: icwhatudidthere

icwhatudidthere

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
That is pretty cool. Seems to be a competitive advantage for Google too. iOS is limited to devices only and their online offerings are skimpy at best. Can't wait to get Google Now on my Galaxy S3.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I wanted to download it onto my cell phone but I can't find it in google play. I don't think it's available there.

geewiz2k1

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
I noticed that my location history in Maps always shows me at home even though I have checked in to many places that day on my phone. I know my Transformer Prime and Nexus 7 must be messing up the location info. I just set the report location from this device on all three to see how it goes.

Keeb13r

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Google Now technically isn't even its own application, it's just an extra part of the "Google Search" app on 4.1+ devices.

Xopher

Trusted Member
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Google Now is on my Galaxy Note 2, so it is not Google-specific. It does probably require Jellybean, though.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I noticed that my location history in Maps always shows me at home even though I have checked in to many places that day on my phone. I know my Transformer Prime and Nexus 7 must be messing up the location info. I just set the report location from this device on all three to see how it goes.
set the reporting location to one device you always carry and disable on others. it is efficient that way.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Google Now technically isn't even its own application, it's just an extra part of the "Google Search" app on 4.1+ devices.
it is the "Google search" app. Google now was updated a few times. the update came as google search update but it will only showup for jellybean and above devices.

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
it is the "Google search" app. Google now was updated a few times. the update came as google search update but it will only showup for jellybean and above devices.

wish they'd allow some features offline. the voice search is particularly useful when your hands are tied and you're not in a wifi zone. like if you're driving and you want to choose a song by saying "listen to: xxx"

stirling

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I saw something in settings the other day that will allow you to download a language pack to use when you're offline. I don't have it in front of me right now, but poke around the settings a bit.

christopheralanward

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
Yes, Google Now consolidates information from multiple devices.

I usually leave my N7 at home during the day. If I locate something on Google Maps at the office (on my desktop) using Chrome & signed in to my gmail account (not signed in to Chrome), a card will appear on my N7 in Google Now (at home) offering to navigate to whatever I mapped. I have had the same thing happen for flight info.

Once you get past the whole 'Big Brother' thing, its pretty cool. There is not much practical application for me considering the N7 is wifi only, but on a phone Google Now would be great.

"Once you get past the whole 'Big Brother' thing, its pretty cool."

Well said. Thanks for saying that. Some of these advances coming out are literally mind blowing. Sure I hesitated at first about these companies knowing so much about me, but as soon as I relaxed just a bit, I realized it's advancement, not spying. And personally, some of these people up in arms about anybody knowing anything about them irritate me a bit, they aren't forced to take advantage of this technology, and it's amazing some of the lengths some of these companies have gone to to give people the options to turn their GPS off, turn their WiFi off. Whenever you download an app, you know exactly what parts of your phone/device it has access too. My gosh! Sit in your house with the blinds closed if you don't want anybody knowing anything about you, but don't leave your GPS on and complain that somebody knows where you are. You wonder if they believe they're entitled to their own personal satellite or something. Sorry for the rant, I just thought it was really awesome to see someone finally say what I think is on a lot of people's minds.

I now have 2 Google Now devices. This stuff is awesome!

christopheralanward

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm new to forums in general so forgive me if I'm not following proper order, but I was hoping I could ask a question about using 2 Google Now devices.

I was wondering if anybody has a suggestion for not having both devices respond when I say "OK Google"?

I thought I read once that Google was working on possibly giving the option of choosing which word(s) activate the "OK Google" feature, but then it seemed to kind of disappear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junkie XL