Nexus 7 or ipad mini

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Not trying to bring on the fire, but I must say as someone who has only android devices and not one apple product ( except a very old ipod mini), I'm quite curious about this ipad mini. I have the nexus 7 and wondering if anyone else is interested in this new possible ipad as well. Are the apps really that much better on the other side? I think that's what has me the most curious.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
It really depends on the apps. Some apps, like NetFlix, will be pretty much the same. Same with some games, like Angry Birds.

A topic like this will start a debate, which ends up going no where. Bottom like it it's your money and you know your needs, so get what you like. It's all subjective anyways. The N7 is a solid device, and iPads are as well, so you can't go wrong either way.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I've also got an old iPod Touch so it's not a fair comparison, but there are very few things I've wanted to do that didn't have a decent Android app available.

Of course, it's hard to form an opinion about the iPod Mini because Apple hasn't even announced it yet, and it's hard to tell when it will actually be available, what the specs will be, and how much it will cost.

Personally, being already heavily invested in the Googlesphere and very happy with the app selection on my Android phone, the Nexus seemed like the perfect companion. I don't run Mac or Windows at home, so iTunes would actually be a huge hassle for me personally anyway.

But I'm happy to see Apple responding to the challenge because it'll keep the Android manufacturers on their toes.

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. If they can actually come out with something decent it will be interesting to see what the next big thing will be from Android. I know lots on the forms have ipads and now nexus 7s as well. The most time I've spent with an ipad is maybe 10 minutes at best buy. Don't know if it is the hype but if the apps are amazingly better, I might be interested. Certainly don't need two 7 inch devices.

But itunes..... Yeah forgot about that.

Ftspyder

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
I wont lie, i`ll probably end up getting an iPad Mini myself. Ive liked iOS since the begining and i like being part of two ecosystems because i get the best of both words.

Sesami

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Not to join the bandwagon of "Apple is over rated!" but I guess since everything I own is Windows or Android, I never really used any Apple products. But I'll admit, if the iPad mini comes out at a decent price, I might be tempted to get it, or at least try it out and give it a chance.

flacousa

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
My 2? we too own ipod mini (itouch) and like using them for the portability, when I go to the gym I carry mine to log the workouts and for doing the grocery shopping, we both have the shopshop app that keep both our ipod grocery list Synchronized using dropbox

I then started looking at tablets and found the ipad too big for my needs so I almost got the Samsung 7" until a clerk at Office Depot convinced me the Nexus 7" was in his opinion a better buy, now that I got it there are no regrets, and may even get a ipad 7" for my wife when it comes out, and all of this for what the regular ipad cost.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I have a Nexus 7 and already have the iPad 3. And while I'm interested in an iPad mini, I probably wouldn't buy it.

And truthfully, I'm still not completely convinced the thing is even real. Rumors of this have been going on for years. We'll see soon enough I suppose.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Only problem I see is that all the 7 inch displays Apple is stocking up on are 1024x768. This, I believe is a mistake. The one thing i devices should always have is a great display. I understand they need to compete in price with Google and that unlike Google they would like to make some profit on each device, but releasing a 7 incher with a worse display than the 200 dollar N7 is a really bad idea.

retsaw

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
The main problem I have with the iPad mini is that if the rumours are true the screen will be too wide for my taste, it is rumoured to have a 7.85" screen, and that will almost certainly be a 4:3 ratio which means it has to be wider than the Nexus 7 and the Nexus 7 is at the very limit of a manageable width for me to hold with one hand (by that I mean with my hand all the way round the back, like you normally hold a phone).

The other problem I have with it is that it is made by Apple, and as far as I am concerned, their recent legal actions have far overstepped the bounds of reasonable defence of their IP and they are just trying to shut down their main competition and in doing so depriving me of choice. I cannot in good conscience support a company who behaves in such a manner and would suggest that anyone else who values choice not buy from them.

Syrous44

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't see the point. . But its an iDevice so everyone will love it, praise it, have sex with it, and claim it gives birth to unicorns. Some might say its the first 7in tablet and android copied. (Only blind fanboys) but it will be good. It will make android better. So its a good thing for the consumers

No doubt ipad mini will outsell nexus 7 unfortunately. Just for the fact its an apple nothing else. One thing for sure it will be overpriced like every other of their products.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

RichardRight

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I agree that I'm not even sure that it's real since we've heard about it since last year when the kindle fire was launched. even if it is real from what I've heard its 8 inches instead of 7 , and it's that annoying square shape rather than rectangular which makes it worse for watching videos. plus I have never known apple to have prices as low as the competition. I'd be surprised if this thing sells for less than 300 dollars . so am I interested in a tablet that's bigger than what I want, that's the wrong shape, and that costs more? not really

flacousa

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
No doubt ipad mini will outsell nexus 7 unfortunately. Just for the fact its an apple nothing else. One thing for sure it will be overpriced like every other of their products.
Well the price is the tricky part, low around $200 and it will be competing and killing their iTouch, too high and may affect the iPad market.

Sent from my Nexus 7

retiredincary

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I am also waiting to see about the iPad mini. I am a Apple user now - Mac, iPad 1 and iPhone. To me it is going to come down to price. If the iPad mini is $299 or below, I will have to go with it. If more than $299, I will get the 8GB Nexus 7. My main goal is to just get a tablet that is smaller than the iPad for reading and on the go browsing and email. I figure for anything else, I'll still have my iPad. I love my iPad but there are many times it is just too big to take with me. Hopefully a 7" tablet will be easier to tote around. Like right now I am in a Starbucks just reading a book. If I had a smaller tablet, it would be the one I would be using.

eneisch

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
As an N7 and iPad owner, I have to admit that the iPad does indeed have many apps that are better on iOS than on Android. Too many apps for Android are simply over-sized phone apps while their iOS counterparts are redesigned for a tablet. Hopefully this will change over time and developers will create versions of their apps specifically for Android tablets, but since the ratio of Android phone to tablets is so skewed to the phone side, you can't blame developers for creating apps that are more suitable for phones rather than tablets since they will make more money off them. Maybe the N7 is the device to stir this development.

Apple's method of having a universal app, that contains versions for both a phone and tablet in one app for one price is where Google should be heading (if it's not already copyrighted).

roblox84

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Anything apple comes out with will basically be a bigger version of the iPod touch, just like all the ipads so why bother

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all the responses. I do enjoy my Nexus 7 so far. The screen isn't as awesome as I was hoping so if it turns out the ipad mini screen is as bad as rumored, then that's an automatic no. When I played with the ipad at the store I saw all these apps I would swoop up in a moment. As it is, I have this Google play money just sitting because there is not much I see I want. We shall see

freddyc

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I tried to love the iPad. Really. I did. But it just didn't do it for me. So if there is an iPad Mini, you are essentially getting a smaller iPad. So if the only real complain about the iPad is that it's "too big", your prayers are about to be answered, in theory, but I'm sure you'll be giving up stuff for the smaller size (i.e. maybe the screen won't be as good, processor not as fast, etc). I may get one to play around with if it's not too expensive. If I get bored with it i'll let the kids play with it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2