need an app to read incoming amperage

mkiker2089

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
There's a lot of concern about using other chargers or even other cables with the thing. If someone can find an app that simply reads the incoming amperage we can easily find out which chargers work best. I know this info has the be available. At the very least there have to be decent apps to read the difference between say 60 percent and 62 percent charged and make a guess.

In my experience the cable is less important than the charger itself but it seems some cables lack all the connections and don't work at all.

EJT

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
How about a DMM with an amp clamp? Not really what you're looking for, but it'd be the most accurate solution.

mkiker2089

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
That would actually be nice. I could test the amperage of all kinds of stuff.

Am I alone in being logical about this? I did an app search and brought up either malware or at the very least junk. Stuff like "charge via the sun" and "shake to charge"

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I use Darshan Computing's free "battery indicator" but the pro version includes features like estimating time to charge completion, and allows you to log and export very detailed snapshots of your battery state so you can analyze different chargers based on complete charge cycles.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ncomputing.BatteryIndicatorPro&token=3-Uu1njF

I don't think the actual amperage incoming is exposed to the Android API, but using something like this tool you could at least compare charge speed with lots of detail.

mrwashy#AC

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I use battery monitor widget by 3C. It gives a lot of that info including battery history.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

mkiker2089

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
I suppose the only real test will be draining the device to a certain point and charging for a certain time to see which does best. I've tried the two apps above and a few others. None give data like I want. I wanted an immediate test so I could change back and forth and measure the difference. They all want to run full cycle tests.

My understanding is that most cables support full charging so usually the cable is irrelevant, but not always. I know there are three standards 1- USB 500ma 2- USB fast 900ma and 3- specialty which can be anything.

I think when I have time and am less frustrated by the lack of a simple feature I'll do some tests. If I get the battery down to 80%, power it down, and charge it for 10 minutes with different devices I should get decent data.