Anyone have a trick for applying a screen protector.

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I suck at putting screen protectors on. If anyone has any tips or tricks for doing it, it would be much appreciated. I just put one on and there is quite a few air bubbles.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I've never done one on anything other then a phone, but the process is similar I would think. I always start at the bottom and apply a little at a time, using a plastic squeegee along the way. That way if there are air bubbles, it's easier to just peel back a little and try again.

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
I know it's difficult because it's a large screen but I use the wet method and it makes things much easier. That is what I do. I make sure the screen is dust free. I then dip the screen protector in a solution of soap and water. I use a few drops of dish washing liquid. I wet the screen with a little water. I then apply the screen protector and adjust it. The soapy water solution makes it easy. Then with a credit card I sqeegy the water and air. I then take a paper towel and soak up the excess water around the edges. You'll have a little haze for a day or two then it completely disappears. I do this to all my mobile devices and did the same to my iPad and it worked like a charm. In going to do the same to my nexus 7 when my screen protector arrives.

Edit: I do this with regular screen protectors. I didn't like those rubbery shields like Zagg.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Reactions: GiantJay

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
In th epast, with phones, i'd gotten to be pretty good at applying the dry film screen protectors, but nearly always had at least a couple of tiny bubbles I couldn't quite get out. With the larger, 7" display, I wanted to avoid that completely if possible.

I ended up ordering a wet-application protector for the first time, and was really nervous about putting it on. All I can say is, get one, read their instructions/view video/etc beforehand, and go to it. After putting it on - which took just a few minutes to get it aligned perfectly with absolutely no bubbles - I looked back on what had been, relative to application of dry models, ridiculously easy and (should have been) stress-free.

The one I used is by ArmorSuit, but there's several well-reputed brands in the sticky thread (in the accessories sub-forum) to choose from.

Last edited:

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Go in the bathroom and turn the shower on (hot) - the humidity of the room will keep dust from floating around.

Good advice but make sure your device is warm if it is cold condensation will happen inside the device. I just placed my Nexus7 in the sunlight from a window face-down for about 10 mins first.

djnshores

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I suck at putting screen protectors on. If anyone has any tips or tricks for doing it, it would be much appreciated. I just put one on and there is quite a few air bubbles.

My advice to you is don't apply a screen protector, and if you did take it off.

My case came with a stylus and I use it all the time now, so my screen never gets scratched or smudged with fingerprints.

I tried screen protectors with my Kindle Fire and wound up taking them off.

But that's just my two cents.

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Thanks everyone. I am familiar with the wet application somewhat as I used to work at a video store and that's how we used to put up window vinyls, I didn't know how safe it was to do on tablets though. I also thought of taking it in the bathroom and using the humidity to keep dust off because that's what the bubbles are from. So I have two screen protectors left to try these ideas out with. I will let you know how it turns out. Thanks again everyone.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
My advice to you is don't apply a screen protector, and if you did take it off.

My case came with a stylus and I use it all the time now, so my screen never gets scratched or smudged with fingerprints.

I tried screen protectors with my Kindle Fire and wound up taking them off.

But that's just my two cents.

Stylus are some of the most common causes of screen scratches.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Go in the bathroom and turn the shower on (hot) - the humidity of the room will keep dust from floating around.

Slight tweak to this: Turn the shower on hot for a bit to steam up the bathroom, then turn off the shower and close the door. Wait about 15 minutes or so, then go in to apply the protector. The humidity will have abated a good bit, with the water vapor having soaked up the dust and particles in the room and settled out of the air to the floor.

Chocoburger

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Just applied two screen protectors on two N7s and I did a terrible job. Like 1000000000000 bubbles everywhere. I am fail. :'(

I just can't figure out how to lay the protector down without causing bubbles, with the plastic being slippery it's hard to keep it steady as you lay it down .

TheAssailant

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm totally just pulling this from automotive vinyl application, but try using a credit card's edge to squeeze out bubbles as you lay it down.

Sent from my VZW Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

retsaw

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Thanks everyone. I am familiar with the wet application somewhat as I used to work at a video store and that's how we used to put up window vinyls, I didn't know how safe it was to do on tablets though.
There is a video of a Nexus 7 along with an iPad 3 being dunked in a bath for 30 seconds while playing a video the Nexus 7 came out fully working and the iPad 3 came out working except for the speakers, while I wouldn't suggest soaking it in water, a bit on the screen won't hurt and I always apply my screen protectors with water, and I also try to keep the device and protector vertical while applying as that makes it harder for dust to settle on it. Although I'm not putting a screen protector on my Nexus 7.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20