1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default how can I delete a file without a file manager

(fyi I have a Nexus 7 NOT rooted)

I find it staggering that there is no file manager on this device. I need to delete a file but cannot access it to delete it.

I had transferred an mp4 from my Dropbox cloud to the "movies" folder on the internal SD on the Nexus 7. When I open the "movies" app on the homescreen the mp4 doesnt display (thanks to the Nexus 7's astonishingly limited compatibility with movie files)... so I just want to delete the mp4 but there is no way I can get to it.

It has definitely copied accross to movies because if I attempt to copy the same file across it asks me if I want to replace the existing file.

I've downloaded Astro file manager. Astro sees it in the movies folder but there is no option to delete! In fact Astro doesnt allow me to do anything at all, apart from view the files on the device. hardly a file manager.

How can I remove this file? I'm so disapointed with this device it feels completely half-finished!

Default Re: how can I delete a file without a file manager

I'm not familiar with the file directory layout of the Nexus 7 but you should be able to use a fairly easy ADB command to remove the file from the internal storage. I don't see any reason that it would of been placed in any root level access location to stop you from removing it.

Aside from Astro you can also try ES File Explorer from the Play Store. It works as a regular file manager but is more known for rooted devices too.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

For astro press and hold the file or folder and a menu will pop up with the option to delete.

Does it show up in the Downloads app?

I got dice player to play mp4s, works perfectly. Also got File manager HD to view and organize files.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

I just connect my droid to my PC and delete any file or program I want to. I had downloaded all types of file managers to no avail. This works well and charges the phone while it is connected.

Robert