Stickmount & AC Power

lenwink

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Probably a dumb question, but anyway to hook up an external flash drive AND the ac power cord at the same time? Is there some kind of adapter available?
Thanks in advance,
Len

Judynnnn

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Probably a dumb question, but anyway to hook up an external flash drive AND the ac power cord at the same time? Is there some kind of adapter available?
Thanks in advance,
Len

You can try placing a usb hub in the otg cable?

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Reactions: lenwink

lenwink

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks....LOL...was just going to edit and ask if anybody has done that, and if so, which hub they use so I am sure it will work. THANK YOU

ailima

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

You'll get a whopping 500ma. Which is what the computer provides. Just remember that the charge rate will be about one quarter the speed of the standard charger. I don't think you can find a better solution though because the standard states that if you're using the data pins, you're limited to the 500ma. You'd have to hack it to get more. :)

retsaw

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Maybe I'm just being dumb, but how would that work? If you hooked up a powered hub to a USB OTG cable, you'd be connecting it to the hub's input, and I don't expect the hub to provide power on the input port.

The only way I think you'd be able to do this is if you hacked a cable to connect the power wires in the cable to a charger. And even then I don't know if it will work because it may not expect to be receiving power when in OTG mode, so there are three possible outcomes, it may do nothing at all, it may fry the USB port on the Nexus 7, or it may work. Given the risk of damaging or completely breaking the Nexus 7 by trying this, I'll personally wait for someone else to try it first.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

AZImmortal

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
You're not being dumb, you're absolutely correct. USB hubs are designed to power the hub, not the host. At a minimum, using both USB OTG and charging the Nexus 7 will require some type of splitter at the Nexus 7's micro USB port to separate into a USB OTG side and a charging side. Even then I have doubts that it could work, and even if it did work, I don't expect it to charge faster than 500mA because the data pins have to be open for USB OTG to work.

lenwink

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Received a cheap USB hub, ac powered; no luck as others have said. Would be a great thing to have, being able to use ac power for the Nexus 7 as well as external storage. I wonder if there was some way to get stickmount to be able to toggle ac power or storage...anyway, just grasping for straws as I am very under educated about such things.