Noob question: order of operations?

Roy_Baty

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
OK, so this Nexus 7 is my first Android device. Reading through the forums, it looks like there are three things I need to do at or near the start:
  • update the OS to 4.1.1,
  • root the device (so I can eventually load what's needed to use external storage),
  • get Flash installed and working.

Is this also the correct sequence in which I should perform these steps? (if not, what is the best order?) Are there any conflicts between or among these three that I should be aware of? anything else that should be added to the list of 'must have' android start-up steps?

Thanks in advance for your guidance,

Roy:confused:

mkiker2089

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Unlock and root first as unlocking requires wiping, hence loosing the update. I suggest using this tool kit Nexus Root Toolkit v1.5.2 | WugFresh

However I further suggest NOT letting it flash CWM (clockwork recovery) as it complicates getting updates. the tool kit comes in handy if you don't want to type lines of code into an emulator.

Last is to install Dolphin HD and Flash, since as far as I can tell the Chrome browser will never accept Flash.

Very last is, Flash is dead, long live HTML5. Well sort of. HTML5 is a mess also since they basically agreed that the spec would be no spec at all and the need to embed codecs.......

Reactions: Roy_Baty

mkiker2089

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
This isn't true.. In fact if you don't plan on installing any custom ROMs I would install the update first, then unlock and root. The wiping of your device doesn't undo the update to 4.1.1.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

You are correct of course. I forgot that the wipe was user data only, not the OS.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20