Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Chocoburger
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 7 Tablet versus upcoming Acer 7 inch A110 tablet?

I was wondering what you guys were thinking of the upcoming Acer 110. Now, I have returned so many google nexus 7 tablets due to defects I can no longer even fathom buying one again.

I was going to wait a while until the device matures and better batches come out, but I recently just read about the Acer 110 7 inch tablet.

The Acer 110 is suppose to have a Tegra 3 Quad core, Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0, SD Card Slot, and HDMI out all at a sub $199 price point. It would seem like this is the more complete tablet IMO and worth waiting for, but the problem is there is no release date

Default Re: Nexus 7 Tablet versus upcoming Acer 7 inch A110 tablet?

When is it supposed to come out?

I'm not trying to flame but just curious. Why wouldn't ask this question on the Acer forum????
    NookColor running CM10.1
    Galaxy Note running RootBox
    Nexus 7 Running JellyBam v7

The ACER can have all the 'gee-wiz' hardware you'd want and more. But it will never have the software support of the Nexus 7, in fact no tablet will, until Google themselves releases their next tablet.

To me, software is what makes the experience. Sure I'd love an SD card and HDMI out, but why do I want to use an SD card and HDMI out on lesser quality software? For me, ever since I was burned hard by Samsung with the Droid Charge (a 1.5 year old phone that won't ever see official ICS!), I've decided that it's Nexus all the way from here on out.

It sucks to hear that you've had so many issues with buying N7's, so far mine seems to be almost perfect (I confess that I am running into a few home screen glitches), but what makes you think ACER has higher quality parts than ASUS? You could run into the same (or worse) problems.
    I am NOT the person set as my icon, and no, I don't know who she is.
    Ftspyder likes this.

ice cream sandwich is so last year.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Problem for me is it's only 1024x600 and may not be IPS. As disappointed as I am with the Nexus 7 display, I suspect the Acer could still be even worse.

Global Posts
    2,340 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by blackberrymamba View Post
    ...but the problem is there is no release date
    Quote Originally Posted by iphart View Post
    When is it supposed to come out?
    Read what the OP posted... No release date yet.

I don't need an SD card or HDMI being that the USB port can be used for both with little effort.

unless the Acer 1100 improves its viewing angle I will never purchase. My A100 had one of the worst viewing angles of any 7" Tab.

I would recommend the a110

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

I had the A100 and hated the viewing angle too. The battery was also very lacking, barely making 5 hours or so.

I hope Acer can improve on these shortcomings especially if it's pricepoint is $200.

I've had 3 N7's and a 4th one on the way. I might be done if the 4th one has the screen lift issue and look at the A1100 and the ipad Mini.

What I hate the most is I really like the N7!

Quote Originally Posted by lancelot48 View Post
    unless the Acer 1100 improves its viewing angle I will never purchase. My A100 had one of the worst viewing angles of any 7" Tab.

IMO there are too many unknowns about the Acer to recommend for or against it. It may come out & have just as many reports of issues as the N7 has been getting (for the record, mine is perfect). Or issues that aren't defects, but just characteristics of the hardware/software, like the viewing angle issues mentioned above.

There being no release date, the real question is "should you try another N7, get a different current tablet (sounds like there must not be anything grabbing your interest), or wait for a better future tablet?"

I suspect the next Kindle Fire will be competitive, and may be a better option than the Acer, since Amazon is selling at razor thin margins to get people into their ecosystem, like Google is doing. It's hard to tell what will be available and when, and a thread like this mostly just leads to speculation.

based on specs alone, acer a110 is what i want out of a tablet. my opinion is extremely biased though because i'm using galaxy nexus/jelly bean right now, and nexus7 is somewhat pointless to me.
    i still don't understand why people are excited for JB on N7 though. without constant data connection like what i'm getting out of GNexus/JB, the new Google Now feature can't be fully realized on a wifi-only tablet.
    for me, tablet will be used as media player(videos on microSD card) and desktop browser(flash support), which nexus7 isn't good at.

of course i'm still going to wait for reviews before buying a110.

ROM
    Mimicry 1.1.2

Quote Originally Posted by xJaws View Post
    I have an OTG cable but how do I make it into an SD card slot?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Check the stickies at the top of the ( ROMs and hacks) nexus 7 forum page you will need to root you nexus 7 as well

Sent from my HTC Vision using Android Central Forums
    Phone - Desire z, 4.0.4 Nexus 4 (when its bulit come on LG)
    Tab - nexus 7 (when it arrives)

Quote Originally Posted by jiwon0522 View Post
    i still don't understand why people are excited for JB on N7 though.
    Project Butter is the one thing Android needed and finally received. We now have the operating system that Google has always wanted to show off but couldn't until their code was optimized.

Mobile OS lag = boo!
    Project Butter = yay!
    I am NOT the person set as my icon, and no, I don't know who she is.