What to do with new tablet!!!

Blazer250

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Hello,.....I purchased my wife the Nexus 7 a couple of days ago and I would like to see she is getting the most of it. I started looking at E-readers and such as the Kindle but everyone suggested the Nexus 7 was the best buy, now I want my wife to get the most out of her new tablet. Can you suggest some apps that a 30 something mother would find useful.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Hard to be really specific to "a 30 something mother", but here's a lot of what I and my wife use regularly:

Games (which ones are a matter of preference, but there are a LOT of free & addicting games available)

Reading (magazines, websites, books, and I enjoy the puzzled looks I get when I use my Bible app at church)

Video (Youtube, Netflix, I even have an adapter on my Dish DVR so I can watch shows from my DVR, or live tv)

Web (duh)

Social networking (facebook, google+, linkedin, etc)

Remote desktop (I personally use LogMeIn Ignition, but it's kinda pricey, there are cheaper apps out there. Very handy for my business, not sure everyone would have use for it)

Maps & navigation (it's amazing how much time you can waste on Google Earth looking up random stuff... pyramids, chernobyl, paris, grand canyon...)

Music (google & amazon both have great music setups, though amazon just changed their setup & scaled back what they offer for free)

Email

--------------

Honestly, how the tablet gets used will probably evolve over time as she discovers new apps, and figures out what does & doesn't work well on a tablet. Does she have any particular hobbies or common activities?

Blazer250

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
She has already had trouble viewing hew favorite web sites because of the flash deal,.... i think she can go to another site and see the videos.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Install flash 11.1 apk and then install dolphin 8.5.1 apk- flash will work!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

kenyee

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
install Flash using the sticky at the top of the forum...set up firefox for the browser. Hide the Chrome browser icon from her.

Does she like cooking? If so, Epicurious, TapChef (imports blog recipes), Taste.

Download 50 Shades of Grey for her so you can get some afternoon delights for being nice ;-)

Download the Nordstrom app for fashion clothing

Hipmunk for airline shopping, Kayak, other travel apps...

TANDC

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
My Wife loves her's fit in her purse:

Todo list, Calendar sync, Pintrest, Video chat with her Sisters on the phones.

Virtual coupons at the grocery store.

Load it up with Redbox movies for trips 3 or 4 movies lasted from west coast to NYC.

Loves Google Now and able to finds new places to eat, shop etc.

giograves

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Trying to figure out how the wife can use hers more as well. Thing is the apps she uses need internet but shes always on the go (iphone in hand) so, the N7 has been collecting dust. Giving her apps that she can already get on her iphone is thus pointless.

So basically I need powerful apps that can work offline that are better on a reader size device. Other than Pocket or Play Magazines (expensive as hell) cant think of anything she'd use.

Does anyone have recommendation for notetaking apps w/ stylus?

doomtuba

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Trying to figure out how the wife can use hers more as well. Thing is the apps she uses need internet but shes always on the go (iphone in hand) so, the N7 has been collecting dust. Giving her apps that she can already get on her iphone is thus pointless.

So basically I need powerful apps that can work offline that are better on a reader size device. Other than Pocket or Play Magazines (expensive as hell) cant think of anything she'd use.

Does anyone have recommendation for notetaking apps w/ stylus?

Antipaper is a good note taking app that would work well with a stylus.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Blazer250

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the great suggestions,....and yes, as someone suggested she is finding things daily she can do with her new tablet. Is there a way we can connect the tablet with our cable provider (Comcast) so she can watch t.v. or movies?

dksnodgrass

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I use it for recipes and stuff in the kitchen. It's great. I just put it in a zip lock bag and cook away. You can use the touch screen through the bag and the tablet is protected. You can view recipes from your favorite website or cooking application, or go to Evernote where you can store recipes. I love it!

Seronac

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Suggestions:
Comcast Xfinity apps are on the Play store.
Download the Nook and Kindle apps and she'll have the capabilities of those devices, too, without the extra weight and expense.
There are lots of grocery list apps, to-do list apps, etc.
Download some movies and games for both her and the kids.
Get a 4g hotspot device (like Netzero's) to keep in the car for internet anywhere.
Think creatively, do some research, explore the app store.
Have fun.

And, yes, Evernote.

tmaze

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
If your wife likes recipes there is an app called Chef Tap that will import recipes from web pages - makes a personalized cookbook - it's a favorite of mine. (And I've got a plexiglass cookbook holder that works great holding & protecting the Nexie.)

Lactose The Intolerant

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Kindle app for her tablet will give her access to 100 free full-volume books from Amazon every day.

Poetic Slimline Case is $13 on Amazon... magnets in the cover turn tablet on/off when you open/close cover.
poetic10.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox