Frustrating to surf Net with a 7" tablet

newtabletuser

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi there,

I am brand new to using a tablet (Google Nexus 7). For me, it has quite a learning curve so I'm sure I'll have lots of other questions as I try to become familiar with it.

I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for browsing the net using such a small screen. I find it very frustrating with swiping, pinching, etc. I'm using Chrome.

Anyone have any suggestions to make it a less frustrating experience? Thank you.

seriyb

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Not sure what you exactly mean.
After all, it's a 7" tabled as you stated. After browsing on my Droid X for more than 2 years, 7" seems huge and very comfortable for browsing.
If you are coming from a 24" wide screen monitor (the only device), I guess I can see it.
Have you tried changing the font size?

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi there,

I am brand new to using a tablet (Google Nexus 7). For me, it has quite a learning curve so I'm sure I'll have lots of other questions as I try to become familiar with it.

I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for browsing the net using such a small screen. I find it very frustrating with swiping, pinching, etc. I'm using Chrome.

Anyone have any suggestions to make it a less frustrating experience? Thank you.

Small screen, are you serious? First off Chrome is a horrible browser which is half finished and tends to be laggy and unresponsive on the Nexus 7. For a better browsing experience, I suggest Dolphin HD and my favorite Firefox Beta. They both offer buttery smooth navigation and an overall better user experience than Chrome.

newtabletuser

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm coming from a 15" laptop. And yes, I've increased the fonts but not in the browser. I couldn't find any place to change browser settings. I tried to bookmark some sites but that didn't work either.

I will try Firefox beta. Chrome is a pain to use, at least my initial experience with it.

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions. I know my questions may seem silly to experienced tablet users but it is a totally new experience for me. Thus far, it's hasn't been a great one but I know I need to give it more time.

Also, I can't access Amazon Prime with it. I need the latest version of Flash and it's not available for Nexus7. Turf wars, I suppose. :D

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Use dolphin 8.5.1 and flash 11.1. Sideload both--flash first

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

newtabletuser

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
dave, I'm a bit nervous about experimenting with software I know little about because I'm so new to all this. I have no idea what "Sideload" means.

roblox84

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
But do the dolphin bookmarks sync with your PC? The biggest plus for me is that with chrome my bookmarks are synced between the nexus 7 and my laptop

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
U can't break your n7 by side loading those apps. Just Google for the apk files online, save them and then run them from the download folder, to install. Quite simple

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Side loading Flash probably will only increase your frustration with web browsing. I wouldn't worry about that unless you have a specific need for Flash.

Dolphin Browser is nice if you want more screen space, it has a full screen toggle. And I love the UI. Swipe from the left to see the bookmarks, slide from the right to see add-ons and toggle full screen. Tap the menu button to see the address bar and tabs. This is by far the most awesome browser UI to me. My only complaint is I can't turn off the zoom button in the latest updates, but may not be an issue for most people.

And naturally pages will look better when holding the tablet in landscape mode.

Reactions: michael13162

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
But do the dolphin bookmarks sync with your PC? The biggest plus for me is that with chrome my bookmarks are synced between the nexus 7 and my laptop

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

You can transfer your Chrome bookmarks to Firefox easily in settings.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Hi there,

This is the reason I hate 7" miniature tablets. I can't even call it a real tablet because it's so tiny. Apple got it right with the iPad size, and it took android too long to get the size right and go with a 10" tablet.

I'd say trade it in and get a regular tablet

sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III on T-Mobile! goodbye Sprint!

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
This is the reason I hate 7" miniature tablets. I can't even call it a real tablet because it's so tiny. Apple got it right with the iPad size, and it took android too long to get the size right and go with a 10" tablet.

I'd say trade it in and get a regular tablet

sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 on T-Mobile! goodbye Sprint!

Ten inch tablets are great but a 7 inch tablet with a 1280x800 resolution, same as most10 inch tablets is also pretty cool.

The hybrid UI does kind of get in the way when browsing with Chrome because its kinda large and takes up space. And if the user turned on large fonts in the Android system settings, I think that might make it a bit worse too. May want to try turning that back to normal and increasing the font in Chrome instead.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
IPad is too heavy for those of us that like the flyweight 7 inch tabs

cusinndzl

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Web browsing has been great on the Nexus 7 for me. Chrome can lag at times so I tend to use the stock Android browser a little more than Chrome.

mysterygirl

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Love the 7-inch form factor. In fact, I gave up my iPad 2 in favor of this little guy. The screen size is definitely an adjustment, but it's so much more convenient than a 10 inch tablet.

I would recommend abandoning Chrome for a better browser. I really enjoy Dolphin.

newtabletuser

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I downloaded Firefox beta and it is so much better than Chrome. It took me a while to figure out the tabbing. I really like it.

btw, where are files stored when you download them? For example, I tried the 'save as pdf' in Firefox. I have no idea where it went but I found it using the download app.