Problem connect wifi at home NEXUS 7 TABLET

tabletandroid2012

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
I just got google nexus 7 tablet, went to starbucks, wifi was good. but i went home, can't connect to wifi at home. even i typed the right pw, saved, secured by WEB.
Does it problem with my router or problem with the Nexus 7? should i return nexus 7 tablet?
can't connect home wifi. pls help. thanks

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Is your router set to wpa2 security (aes)? You can check on your router's admin page. Google the make and model of your router to find the admin page address.

I remember reading that it worked for someone else.

dralezero

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Are you using MAC filtering? I forgot I had recently turned that on in my router before getting my replacement Nexus 7. I was blaming the N7 at first. So my N7 would accept my WPA password and save the connection, but not actually obtain IP and get on the network.

galnex

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
For what it's worth... I'd been having intermittent WiFi signal at home on my N7... I have a Netgear N600 dual band router... after reading a bunch of different threads on the subject I decided to venture in my router' wireless settings... BTW, I do not know much about routers and wireless connections and this is not a technical advice but rather I am reporting my own personal success, which I hope could help some other people as well... that said, I went to my router's admin page (was stamped on the bottom of the router) and changed the wireless settings to the following:
2.4GHz
wireless isolation enabled
security: WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]

5GHz
wireless isolation disabled
security: WPA2-PSK [AES]

I have my Galaxy Nexus connected to the 5GHz bandwidth by default and the Nexus 7 on the 2.4GHz as it won't find the 5G anyways... my PS3, my gf's iphone and a macbook pro all connected to the 2.4GHz frequency as well...

My N7 has not lost WiFi signal nor connection to the google servers in the past hour of observation...

I believe the new wiresless settings have worked and hopefully this is a permanent fix for some having the same issue as me...

Reactions: dmmarck

Lil Jaye

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
Check your firewall on your computer. I turned mine off just long enough to get hooked up to the WiFi then I turned the firewall back on. Never have had a problem sense. Good luck.

jtsgrl

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I just got google nexus 7 tablet, went to starbucks, wifi was good. but i went home, can't connect to wifi at home. even i typed the right pw, saved, secured by WEB.
Does it problem with my router or problem with the Nexus 7? should i return nexus 7 tablet?
can't connect home wifi. pls help. thanks

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Mine flat refused to talk to my Virgin superhub. Having failed to get anywhere with help desk of the tablet's manufacturer or retailer I got it going as described below. None of these steps worked individually but the three of them seemed to crack it - I am throwing them out there in case it helps someone else, it worked for me, anyway.
I changed the superhub security mode from WPA Auto to WPA PSK (AES), I unplugged the old huberoony for 2 mins and rebooted, and I re-entered the hub p/w in lower case rather than the specified mixed case. Bingo! Good luck...

torre1

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Had exactly the same problem. Have spent the last 3 days trying every idea I could find - none worked. Finally fixed it - thanks to Belkin support, why didn't I ask them first.

My network name (SSID) was 3 words each separated by a space. I was told to simplify the name to 1 word so took out the 2 spaces. The nexus found the new name for the network and after entering the password I was connected within seconds.

This may also apply to any non alpha-numeric characters in a network name not just the space.

Hope this helps.

jpash549

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Don't know why anyone would be using WEP security on their router unless required by some old device they are using. WPA2 is not only more secure but in my experience a lot easier to use.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

johnwccres

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
As others have said, changing from WEP to WPA might be good. The password is a lot shorter!

I use WEP for compatibility with my daughter's Nintendo DS, but the password is very long and complex - it took me a few goes to enter it correctly on my N7. So maybe you should try again being very careful to hit the right keys?

EcclesAgain

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Hi,
Having unhid my router's SSID and disabled the allowed wireless MAC address table my Nexus 7 can find and communicate with my router but cannot make a connection unless I disable encryption. I am using WPA-PSK (TKIP) and have tried other combinations as suggested in this thread without success.
I am willing to disable encryption to enable the Nexus to run through set up but then will need to find its MAC address and tell it the encryption key for the WiFi to get it to connect in a fully secured fashion.
I am a total newcomer to Android so would welcome a steer on navigating to find the MAC address and the place to record the encryption key.
Any suggestions on where to find some good basic Android documentation would also be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

HemaV

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Yes, Changing the router settings for 2.4GHZ with security:security: WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES] did the trick. Now my Wi-Fi in Nexus 7 does work. Initially for a month, I did not face any issue. Since 2 days it is not connecting and just saves the configuration. So I did a factory reset, Still it did not work. Once I changed the security settings for 2.4 GHZ, now it is working. Now I need an answer to my question as to how this worked initially without any hiccups with the same router with earlier setting of security as WPA2-PSK?

Anyway, thanks so much for the tips and suggestions. I am happy that it is working again.

dominic southwick

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I am using a Netgear router. The fix turned out to be very simple
Locate Wireless Station Access List (I found this in Wireless Settings)
Deselect Turn Access Control On
Job Done

Last edited:

knowmaddd

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Check the name of your SSID; I find that my N7 will not connect to a network with an SSID of less than 3 characters. No such issue with my Chromebook or GNex. I changed the SSID to 3+ characters and was able to connect without issue.

simcha evron

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
to me you all speak chinese. where do you find all these steps to fix the wifi not connecting. how do i find where to do any of it. on my tablet(not connecting?) on my computer or do i have to go on the internet to the routers website? please explain.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1