Nexus 7 tablet has poor build quality.

bawboh86

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I haven't noticed anything wrong with mine. And after reading these forums, I've been constantly looking for issues. I think the only thing I've run into is sometimes Chrome goes unresponsive, but it's the only thing that does, so I'm not going to generalize for the entire tablet.

No flickering, backlight bleed, screen lift, or horizontal lines (and again, I've been watching my tablet like it's going to explode any second trying to find these issues). I've owned phones with backlight bleeding *cough*Thunderbolt*cough* and can honestly say my Nexus 7 does not have it.

Disclaimer: I am not trying to disprove anyone's claims that they had/have defective units. I understand that some bad batches made it to the wild, and I'm sorry to anyone that has had/does have a defective unit. I merely wanted to give my $0.02

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
How in the world is going through more than three a lack of common sense? Should those who got defective devices accept them as defective? I've never seen a UPS driver stick around for you to inspect a device, and I'm not wasting other people's time by holding them up while I check one out in the store before I leave.

I guess this is what I meant by common sense. If I got even 2 defectives in a row, I would certainly not order another one delivered without being able to check it out. And if I still wanted this after 2 defectives, I would go to a retail outlet to purchase and I would certainly make the store clerk open the box so I could verify the "build quality" before I paid for it. I could give a rats a** about the guy behind me having his time wasted. He can go somewhere else, it's first come first served after all.

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
If I might venture a guess, I'd say the reason your guys didn't find a single defective unit was because they didn't go into the exercise being convinced they'd find issues and obsessively look for them. If someone is convinced they are going to find a problem, he or she can usually find one (whether it truly exists or not). When I hear someone say they've purchased 10 "defective" tablets in a row (to say nothing of the guy that claims he bought 21), I can't help but feel that statement might be relevant to them.

+1 Bingo!

Reactions: Mco119

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Its a great device but most are defective statistically speaking. The odds of me picking 10 bad units if most were perfect like you said should be nearly impossible.

+1. That's what we've been saying. You say because of this the "majority" of units must be defective. That would mean more that half would have to be defective Believe me, if 50% of the Nexus 7 units were defective, it would be headline news on all Forums, Blogs and news Networks.

More likely, people see what they expect to see.

Flur

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
However, there have literally been a few that have had these problems with their devices..but the other dozens and dozens, if not hundreds, of professional reviewers have had nothing but praise for the Nexus 7.

You know of hundreds of PROFESSIONAL reviewers? By all means, do share.

Flur

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I guess this is what I meant by common sense. If I got even 2 defectives in a row, I would certainly not order another one delivered without being able to check it out. And if I still wanted this after 2 defectives, I would go to a retail outlet to purchase and I would certainly make the store clerk open the box so I could verify the "build quality" before I paid for it. I could give a rats a** about the guy behind me having his time wasted. He can go somewhere else, it's first come first served after all.

This is exactly what I'm doing, after 1 defective in-store in Seattle, and 1 defective mail-ordered in Michigan. There's no chance I'm walking out of the store with a device with screen lift. Not gonna happen.

I'm also not even going to waste the clerk's time with boxes with lower serial numbers. They can sell those to someone who hasn't been burned twice.

RichardRight

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm 99% positive I could find a defect in your tablet in 2 minutes time. I guarantee you have some backlight bleed.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I have no doubt that you can point out to us a time that Mother Theresa sinned.....that you could point out at least one instance of bad acting in The Godfather....that you could show us a time when Michael Jordan was not the best basketball player...that you could point out the flaws in the Lincoln presidency ....Everyone has a talent and yours is apparently finding the flaws in things that others consider great.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm 99% positive I could find a defect in your tablet in 2 minutes time. I guarantee you have some backlight bleed.

Yes, right. You're certain every single one of the millions of N7s have light bleed because you've gone through...10. I'd be happy to take a picture of mine blackscreened in pitch black. It has no light bleed. Professional reviewers have also tested for light bleed as well. Stop being so weird.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Yes, a few reviewers noted they had minor screen separation issues, and, yes, a few reviewers got stuck with units that had ghosting problems and/or the infamous "grayish screen" some have experienced. However, there have literally been a few that have had these problems with their devices..but the other dozens and dozens, if not hundreds, of professional reviewers have had nothing but praise for the Nexus 7. And certainly the screen's resolution and color have received acclaim from the vast majority.

The point here is not that some devices have problems (they indeed do), but rather that most units are problem-free. You'd think from these forums that 90% of N7s have one issue or another..this is most certainly not the case. I'd wager that the number of "perfect" tablets FAR outweigh those with defects. That said, the problematic ones get way more press than those that are doing great..such is human nature.

As a side note, I extensively compared my N7's screen to that of the iPad 2 and 3 recently, and I have to say that the N7's display stood up very well to the other two. It's nearly identical in color vibrancy and accuracy to the iPad 2, though the Nexus 7's resolution and pixel density are noticeably superior. The iPad 3's screen is definitely nicer, but, frankly, not so much as to justify the $400 higher price tag it demands..not even close. I was actually pretty surprised how close the N7 came to matching it, especially when you stop to remember it is only a $200 unit. The whole thing left me feeling extremely pleased with my tablet's display..much more so than I expected to be.

My guess is that my experience is much more representative of the norm than that of the unfortunate few (statistically speaking) that are having problems. I don't say that in an attempt to minimize their justifiable frustrations, but rather to encourage people to remember that this tablet will prove itself to be an AWESOME buy far more times than not. I've got no stake in selling this to anyone..but I'm just very pleased that I decided to pick an N7 up. If only the happy people spoke as loudly as the unhappy ones.

This. So much this. Read this slowly blackberrymamba. Then please try to actually understand it. Then maybe you'll stop going around trying to convince everyone here that they and reviewers have poor observation skills, or are just plain blind and that all of their devices have flaws that only YOU can see with your superhuman powers of observation.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

Reactions: Mco119

Mco119

May 24, 2012
Visit site
You know of hundreds of PROFESSIONAL reviewers? By all means, do share.

Tell you what, get on the Internet, and type the words "Google.com" into the address bar. Press enter. I hear the page that'll come up has some new-fangled thing called a "search engine." Maybe it can help you locate the reviews you're asking about.

Good luck, sir.

Last edited:

Mco119

May 24, 2012
Visit site
And I "guarantee" what you consider backlight bleed is, in fact, normal LCD screen operation as discussed earlier in this thread.

Just because black isn't truly black doesn't make it defective...that's just the way this particular screen tech works.

Check out the "backlight bleed" on the HTC One X below! IT LOOKS JUST LIKE MY NEXUS 7! Apparently what is widely considered to be the finest smartphone screen in the world has the same problems! There is ZERO chance it is normal LCD operation..I mean, look how black that Gnex's screen (which uses totally different technology) is! Something must be wrong with my N7! I'm going to go return it!

Note: if you do not recognize all of the above as extreme sarcasm, please PM me your address. I will come hit you with a tack hammer.

Last edited:

Mco119

May 24, 2012
Visit site
I can easily find a defect in all four of your tablets. I'm positive each one of your 4 tablets has some light bleed even though it might not be noticeable to you. As to whether your tablets have raise screen, horizontal line pop up, flicker issues, etc, could be a 50/50 chance.

So, to be clear, you are essentially calling me blind, stupid and/or clueless? Is that correct? I carefully inspected all four of those units, and while they seemed 100% defect-free to me (a 32 year old man that has been into tech since 1985), YOU would have detected the true flaws that escaped me? You need to step back and take a look at the crap you're posting. You're starting to sound pretty arrogant.

However, I am also "positive" you could find problems in all four Nexus 7s I've used...the issues might not exist outside of your mind, but that doesn't mean you wouldn't be sure they were there. I don't doubt you'd return all four of the flawless units my family is currently using.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: if you're convinced problems are there, you're bound to find them..whether they are really there or not. People see what they want to.

Last edited:

blackberrymamba

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
So, to be clear, you are essentially calling me blind, stupid and/or clueless? Is that correct? I carefully inspected all four of those units, and while they seemed 100% defect-free to me (a 32 year old man that has been into tech since 1985), YOU would have detected the true flaws that escaped me? You need to step back and take a look at the crap you're posting. You're starting to sound pretty arrogant.

However, I am also "positive" you could find problems in all four Nexus 7s I've used...the issues might not exist outside of your mind, but that doesn't mean you wouldn't be sure they were there. I don't doubt you'd return all four of the flawless units my family is currently using.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: if you're convinced problems are there, you're bound to find them..whether they are really there or not. People see what they want to.

I don't know you. Just stop already the tablet has defects...and they are very real and not imagined. Many defects are documented. I suppose you suggest we are imagining screen lift, horizontal line pop up, light bleeding on the edges, ghosting, speaker blow outs, scren flickering, etc. They are real and not part of a witch hunt for problems that you constantly suggest.

That said its a beautiful tablet and the best 7 inch android tablet in its price range bar none. I'd still recommend it to people, and would tell anyone the nexus 7 tablet makes the nook and kindle obsolete. But it has build quality issues for the detailed oriented end user. Maybe its a bad batch...or maybe...you're just making excuses.

blackberrymamba

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Check out the "backlight bleed" on the HTC One X below! IT LOOKS JUST LIKE MY NEXUS 7! Apparently what is widely considered to be the finest smartphone screen in the world has the same problems! There is ZERO chance it is normal LCD operation..I mean, look how black that Gnex's screen (which uses totally different technology) is! Something must be wrong with my N7! I'm going to go return it!

Note: if you do not recognize all of the above as extreme sarcasm, please PM me your address. I will come hit you with a tack hammer.

OK do me a favor and make a video with the nexus 7 at 100% brightness and use screen tester app and choose the black background. Make sure you adjust the brightness settings as you record. If you can do this and the gnex 7 looks as black as that in the pic, I'll agree with you.

g1toevo678

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
See this type of threads time and time again with each new gadget. Those with issue after issue and those for whom the device is the second coming...

And FWIW, mine has absolutely no screen lift, and if it does then I'm not seeing it and it doesn't affect me.

But when the guy who carries his phone in a sock for protection gets a good one on his first try, I have to wonder how widespread the problems are...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I don't know you. Just stop already the tablet has defects...and they are very real and not imagined. Many defects are documented. I suppose you suggest we are imagining screen lift, horizontal line pop up, light bleeding on the edges, ghosting, speaker blow outs, scren flickering, etc. They are real and not part of a witch hunt for problems that you constantly suggest.

That said its a beautiful tablet and the best 7 inch android tablet in its price range bar none. I'd still recommend it to people, and would tell anyone the nexus 7 tablet makes the nook and kindle obsolete. But it has build quality issues for the detailed oriented end user. Maybe its a bad batch...or maybe...you're just making excuses.

How are you not understanding this? JUST BECAUSE YOU GOT FAULTY UNITS DOES NOT MEAN ALL UNITS IN EXISTENCE ARE FAULTY. The professional reviewers/majority of customers are not blind. Many documented cases of defects doesn't equal all units being defective. If that were true, than the many documented cases of people with no defects would mean no bad units exist. Your logic is incomprehensible.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance