Nexus 7 tablet has poor build quality.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Dude, you're digging your hole deeper and deeper. The only thing more preposterous than you getting ten defective units is your new claim that you kept at least four of the defective ones! And that picture is so clearly photoshopped. ...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Look, much as it confuses me (why would you buy 4 more after having 6 faulty ones) that picture is not "clearly" photoshopped. Take it from someone with many years of PS experience, if that's a photoshop than it's some seriously excellent work, with incredibly layered reflections and shadows. I'd be more likely to believed this is some elaborate smear campaign from Apple or something. I mean technically, ANYTHING is possible, but the odds of getting 10 bad units... I mean holy crap man.

Pixelgeist

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Not a single issue with mine and I use mine constantly.

Also dropped it waist height twice on to wooden flooring (once face down after half a day of getting it) and have banged it on the corner of a table on the back.

And this thing keeps soldiering on.

neller2000

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
Wow, a lot of stupid comments in here. I'm on 20 now. Writing this on the 20th. They were all defective with blatant screen rise. The only trolls and liars in this thread are the ones who said they had no problems.

Tell you what, take a drive to Malone, NY. Bring your "perfect condition" tablet with you. I'll give you mine plus cover the gas of driving here. If it turns out it has screen rise you're out of luck. It's not my fault or the OP that you feel you need to lie just because you don't consider screen rise a defect or whatnot.

I love the tablet. Love the size. Love the NFC. Love the speed and new OS. HATE THE CRAP BUILD QUALITY.

Mco119

May 24, 2012
Visit site
My N7 has no build quality issues. My only gripe is the screen is lacking contrast when compared to my GN which is expected. For $200-$249 it is a deal!

One thing I see over and over again on this forum is people reaching the conclusion that their N7's screen is somehow lacking in color because it isn't as vibrant as what they see on their GNex. People, please try to understand the technology present here. The Nexus 7 has an IPS LCD screen. The GNex uses a super AMOLED display. These are two totally different types of technology.

I won't go into it much, but the main point here is that AMOLED screens, while bright and vibrant, are infamous for being over saturated, and for producing poor color accuracy. They look pretty, but the colors you see often don't match up with what you'd see if the object was in front of you. LCD screens tone down the ridiculous amount of over saturation seen on their AMOLED counterparts, typically producing much more realistic color accuracy. However, if what you're used to seeing everyday is a GNex, such improved color accuracy may end up looking dull somehow to you. That is the problem I think many of you are having..it has nothing to do with the unit only costing $200.

On my end, my Nexus 7 has absolutely killed my GNex screen for me. Now I feel like I'm looking at some Candyland colored cartoon whenever I look at the display..I really notice how overly saturated it is, and I much, much prefer the more "true to life" color accuracy seen with my N7's LCD. This will be my last AMOLED screen if I can help it, as much as I love my Galaxy Nexus.

Reactions: MrpicC

dportal2006

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
One thing I see over and over again on this forum is people reaching the conclusion that their N7's screen is somehow lacking in color because it isn't as vibrant as what they see on their GNex. People, please try to understand the technology present here. The Nexus 7 has an IPS LCD screen. The GNex uses a super AMOLED display. These are two totally different types of technology.

I won't go into it much, but the main point here is that AMOLED screens, while bright and vibrant, are infamous for being over saturated, and for producing poor color accuracy. They look pretty, but the colors you see often don't match up with what you'd see if the object was in front of you. LCD screens tone down the ridiculous amount of over saturation seen on their AMOLED counterparts, typically producing much more realistic color accuracy. However, if what you're used to seeing everyday is a GNex, such improved color accuracy may end up looking dull somehow to you. That is the problem I think many of you are having..it has nothing to do with the unit only costing $200.

On my end, my Nexus 7 has absolutely killed my GNex screen for me. Now I feel like I'm looking at some Candyland colored cartoon whenever I look at the display..I really notice how overly saturated it is, and I much, much prefer the more "true to life" color accuracy seen with my N7's LCD. This will be my last AMOLED screen if I can help it, as much as I love my Galaxy Nexus.

To be really honest really like that cartoon like over saturated screens more than the N7 screen. But that's just my opinion.

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Oh for God's sake, do what you want if the device isn't perfect. If it was my store that you are buying these from I would simply refuse to sell you another.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

RichardRight

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Wow, a lot of stupid comments in here. I'm on 20 now. Writing this on the 20th. They were all defective with blatant screen rise. The only trolls and liars in this thread are the ones who said they had no problems.

Tell you what, take a drive to Malone, NY. Bring your "perfect condition" tablet with you. I'll give you mine plus cover the gas of driving here. If it turns out it has screen rise you're out of luck. It's not my fault or the OP that you feel you need to lie just because you don't consider screen rise a defect or whatnot.

I love the tablet. Love the size. Love the NFC. Love the speed and new OS. HATE THE CRAP BUILD QUALITY.

What's odd to me is that those with this incredibly bad luck always get them in perfect increments of ten.

RichardRight

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Look, much as it confuses me (why would you buy 4 more after having 6 faulty ones) that picture is not "clearly" photoshopped. Take it from someone with many years of PS experience, if that's a photoshop than it's some seriously excellent work, with incredibly layered reflections and shadows. I'd be more likely to believed this is some elaborate smear campaign from Apple or something. I mean technically, ANYTHING is possible, but the odds of getting 10 bad units... I mean holy crap man.

it just seems weird to me that on the left side the box on top casts no shadow .

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site

No screen rise on my device. I can take some very detailed pictures if you want. I'm not going to drive to NY since I live in Seattle. If you truely somehow managed to go through 20 units (I honestly have trouble believing that, at that rate you've been going to the store every day and getting a new one) I would think it would be pretty obvious that retailers in your area got a bad batch. All the happy customers with good N7's on this board aren't part of some massive conspiracy to trick you.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

wilfreb

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
I was gonna buy the nexus 7 but after reading all the quality issues I will buy the Galaxy Tab 2 7" which have very good reviews.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

retsaw

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Assuming the defective N7s are clustered together, then if blackberrymamba got all 10 from the same batch the odds really aren't that high. In other words, if he/she is buying/replacing them 3-4 at a time it is plausible to get this result due to a bad batch.

RichardRight

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Assuming the defective N7s are clustered together, then if blackberrymamba got all 10 from the same batch the odds really aren't that high. In other words, if he/she is buying/replacing them 3-4 at a time it is plausible to get this result due to a bad batch.

But why would he keep at least four defective units?

RichardRight

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I was gonna buy the nexus 7 but after reading all the quality issues I will buy the Galaxy Tab 2 7" which have very good reviews.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

Nexus 7 gets higher ratings at Amazon than Galaxy Tab 2. Also, the tech press regularly calls the nexus 7, not the galaxy tab, the best tablet.

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site

This. Thank you for posting this. I am thinking about getting an N7 myself. Not that I need it or have a specific use for it, just think it would be cool. Just having a hard time justifying spending the money on it, even if it is a fantastic price for the tablet.

I have a Gnex, so the heads up about the screen colour is much appreciated. (Just hoping that if/when I take the leap I don't have any quality issues with it)

Reactions: Androhead27

AZBrowncoat

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Nexus 7 gets higher ratings at Amazon than Galaxy Tab 2. Also, the tech press regularly calls the nexus 7, not the galaxy tab, the best tablet.

But isn't that conclusion generally based on raw specs and possibly a single review unit (sometimes provided by the manufacturer) and not real world usage? Reviews are great, I love them, I use them - and partially based my decision to purchase one on glowing reviews...but sometimes positive reviews are not indicative of the real world results once thousands of a devices are shipped and in customer hands.

I salute all of you that received a "perfect" device; however I did not - but I'm also not willing to go through multiple units searching for a "perfect" device so I returned mine despite the fact that I now have a few accessories that I had ordered that it is just not cost effective to return.

I loved the size and feel of the device when compared to my iPad (Nexus fit nicely into my cargo shorts pockets) but the build the build quality was sporadic to be certain.

Maybe I'll pickup a discount refurb device once they start hitting the resellers, as with this many units being returned I can't imagine that ASUS will just scrap them.

Last edited:

hansgroter

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
you must have a defective unit
Sig.jpg