Nexus 7 tablet has poor build quality.

eBandit21

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
I got my N7 two weeks ago and loved it. When I got it, it came with a blemish on the side bezel, and had the light bleed on the lower left. A couple days ago I finally noticed a few dead pixels. I tried to return it today at office depot where I bought it but the refused to refund it cause "dead pixels are common" he said. After looking at the guy like I was going to punch him in the face he agreed to exchange for another one. I havent opened it yet cause I'm debating selling it on eBay. I don't want to go through this constant exchange routine with this thing.

And "IF" it has any defects, what is going to happen when the eBay buyer wants his/her money back? If something is wrong with it, eBay protection will give their money back if you don't and will in turn come after you for it probably. If not they could ban you I guess. Not sure how that all works since I never had anyone use that on me and I only had to use it once and know nothing more than eBay gave my money back when the seller tried to cheat me (didn't ship and refused to respond). You could list as-is, but that would be a red flag to me and still wouldn't stop them from leaving bad feedback and using eBay buyer protection on the deal.

With so many flaws out there, I myself would never sell new unopened N7's on eBay, too much potential for a big hassle to deal with! I know I wont be buying one on eBay unless it sold for way under retail (yeah right!).

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
And "IF" it has any defects, what is going to happen when the eBay buyer wants his/her money back? If something is wrong with it, eBay protection will give their money back if you don't and will in turn come after you for it probably. If not they could ban you I guess. Not sure how that all works since I never had anyone use that on me and I only had to use it once and know nothing more than eBay gave my money back when the seller tried to cheat me (didn't ship and refused to respond). You could list as-is, but that would be a red flag to me and still wouldn't stop them from leaving bad feedback and using eBay buyer protection on the deal.

With so many flaws out there, I myself would never sell new unopened N7's on eBay, too much potential for a big hassle to deal with! I know I wont be buying one on eBay unless it sold for way under retail (yeah right!).

I always sell as is and have never had an issue selling. If you sell a sealed device, that's all you're responsible for and nothing beyond that. A buyer can only use buyer protection if the item description doesn't match what they were sold.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Mco119

May 24, 2012
Visit site
I always sell as is and have never had an issue selling. If you sell a sealed device, that's all you're responsible for and nothing beyond that. A buyer can only use buyer protection if the item description doesn't match what they were sold.

Exactly right.

Mco119

May 24, 2012
Visit site

Exactly right.

Diordna11

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
I just bought 2 and they are perfect. I had read the complaints here so I knew what to look for. Couldn't be happier and my son feels the same way.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
This device suffers from backlight bleed, screen lift, horizontal line artifacts, and other issues.

OK so I think I'm done with this device. I've gone through 10 now and I really think Google owes me and others for having to exercise quality control for them. I have gone through 10 of these devices and I can say that all of them had the problems mentioned above.

I can definitely say without a doubt that this device is simply of very poor build quality even though the specs, jelly bean os, and performance is great.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

go with blackberry playbook. best built quality.

Sent from my BlackBerry Playbook using Tapatalk 2

JaSauders

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately I haven't heard anything back from ASUS yet. I've called two times in the last 3 days (since my tracking info says it was delivered) but they say it hasn't entered the processing stage yet. They're definitely working at a slower pace than I expected, since their web site said it'll be updated the day after the item is received. Eh, whatever.

I decided to be a little bold in this conversation since I'm beyond the stage of giving a damn and asked the rep if ASUS has changed their views on fixing their issues. He confusingly asked what I meant by that. I said hundreds (thousands?) of people are complaining of screen issues, and ASUS hasn't cared. Likewise, I've even heard of other users who's screens magically cracked without dropping, and still ASUS hasn't cared to own up to the clear design flaw. He said he had no knowledge of that, and simply said if there's no damage on your device except the screen ASUS will correct it.

Yeah, k. I wouldn't bet my car on it. But we'll find out in another day or two or week or month or whatever if ASUS is going to repair my tablet or not. Hoping for the best.

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
My thoughts exactly! I've noticed the horizontal line flash every now and ten on my screen (maybe a couple times a day while using it), but for me it's just not worth the hassle to send it back just to take a chance on receiving a unit that may have several defects. The horizontal line flash is hardly noticeable on mine...I don't have screen flicker or a raised screen on mine. I love my N7!

Yeah the horizontal line thing is what I was referring to basically, not sure if it's considered flicker or a whole other issue. I'm starting to notice some occasional multi touch issues too but a reboot fixes it. Again not worth the hassle to rma. I saw the complaints and I knew the nexus 7 wasn't perfect, but no product is. I got mine from the Google play store specifically because of the issues so I could bypass Asus in the event it does fail as I haven't heard anyone yet praise their rma service

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

opteron7

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I love this thing....but damn built quality. I'm on my third one and after using it for 2 weeks the left side of the screen is lifting and thinking this was the one and even ordered a portenzo alano case. I even installed the SGP clear screen protector. I can press on the screen and it stays flush to the bezel for about 20 minutes then it will pop back up. I just wanted to chime in, well i be keeping it. Ahmmmmm

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I love this thing....but damn built quality. I'm on my third one and after using it for 2 weeks the left side of the screen is lifting and thinking this was the one and even ordered a portenzo alano case. I even installed the SGP clear screen protector. I can press on the screen and it stays flush to the bezel for about 20 minutes then it will pop back up. I just wanted to chime in, well i be keeping it. Ahmmmmm

There's an easy fix.

Sent from my One X using Android Central Forums

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
But aren't the fixes only temporary unless you remove the tab?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

No I fixed one for a relative that got a lemon and it's going on strong after 2 weeks. $1.99 thread adhesive plus tightening screws. It had terrible screen lift. The general opinion is the thread adhesive melted/was poorly applied on some N7's. I sent an email to Google Play and they said it was cool and wouldn't void the warranty.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
No I fixed one for a relative that got a lemon and it's going on strong after 2 weeks. $1.99 thread adhesive plus tightening screws. It had terrible screen lift. The general opinion is the thread adhesive melted/was poorly applied on some N7's. I sent an email to Google Play and they said it was cool and wouldn't void the warranty.

What adhesive? Pm me if you don't mind. I've heard loosening the screws is a feasible option, however mine is so minimal that I'm somewhat indifferent.

Sent from my Overly Suspicious Robotic Grouper

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
What adhesive? Pm me if you don't mind. I've heard loosening the screws is a feasible option, however mine is so minimal that I'm somewhat indifferent.

Sent from my Overly Suspicious Robotic Grouper

PM'd. For everyone else, try Loctite. And actually, you want to tighten the screws on the left side a bit, but just to the point they aren't loose, much harder and you may risk stripping them. I suggest throwing Google an email first and having them confirm that they won't void warranty so you can feel safe knowing they have your back if anything goes wrong. Honestly it's an easy fix that takes maybe 5 minutes.

Reactions: dmmarck

blackberrymamba

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
go with blackberry playbook. best built quality.

Sent from my BlackBerry Playbook using Tapatalk 2

I came from the playbook and the nexus 7 is better in terms of screen and software. I kept the nexus, but may sell it later. Mine still has the pop up line glitch but that is a software issue since it doesn't occur when playing movies or games. Otherwise my nexus is pretty great.

neller2000

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure why you find it odd, the last few I bought I opened right at the service desk, in batches of 5 which is what the store got in at a time. In total I went through 23 before I gave up. Do you think the store was impressed with the obvious excessive screen lift right out of the box? Some were so bad you could see the innards of the device right out of the box. We didn't even get to checking for the other known flaws such as ghosting and bleeding, didn't even turn them on before they were returned.

The store pretty much doesn't care who returns the devices, they were more than happy to get the garbage off the shelf. And as for new batches coming out, they are to this date still receiving the C50 series. As far as I know when I check once a week for a C80, the returns are pretty much excessive and most of the batches they get in are returned for one reason or another, mostly people who didn't like the fact the screen was coming off.

- - - Updated - - -

PM'd. For everyone else, try Loctite. And actually, you want to tighten the screws on the left side a bit, but just to the point they aren't loose, much harder and you may risk stripping them. I suggest throwing Google an email first and having them confirm that they won't void warranty so you can feel safe knowing they have your back if anything goes wrong. Honestly it's an easy fix that takes maybe 5 minutes.

This solution has already been debunked over and over and over, some SWEAR all you have to do is loosen the screws some SWEAR all you have to do is tighten the screws, some SWEAR all you have to do is apply more adhesive yourself. All solutions fail more or less in one way or another and seriously? Since when has it become the absolute norm to strip open your electronic devices and fix what should have been working all along or at the very least work with a return??

RichardRight

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure why you find it odd, the last few I bought I opened right at the service desk, in batches of 5 which is what the store got in at a time. In total I went through 23 before I gave up. Do you think the store was impressed with the obvious excessive screen lift right out of the box? Some were so bad you could see the innards of the device right out of the box. We didn't even get to checking for the other known flaws such as ghosting and bleeding, didn't even turn them on before they were returned.

The store pretty much doesn't care who returns the devices, they were more than happy to get the garbage off the shelf. And as for new batches coming out, they are to this date still receiving the C50 series. As far as I know when I check once a week for a C80, the returns are pretty much excessive and most of the batches they get in are returned for one reason or another, mostly people who didn't like the fact the screen was coming off.

- - - Updated - - -

This solution has already been debunked over and over and over, some SWEAR all you have to do is loosen the screws some SWEAR all you have to do is tighten the screws, some SWEAR all you have to do is apply more adhesive yourself. All solutions fail more or less in one way or another and seriously? Since when has it become the absolute norm to strip open your electronic devices and fix what should have been working all along or at the very least work with a return??

Do you ever plan to drop this topic in this forum? Do you know that this is not an official Google or Asus forum and we can't help you? Honestly most of us feel like you're close to wearing out your welcome.

dparrothead1

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

- - - Updated - - -

C50????? Are you sure you were looking at the N7???? If you want to bash something, you should at least try and get your facts straight.....or at least proof read your post. That might give you a little more credibility!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vignajeanniegolabek