Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    ROM
    DX-Fission/SF-Superclean9

Default Re: Has anyone installed nexus 7 in car dash? / best mounting options

Attached is a pic if my dash installation in an '05 Cadillac Deville DTS. I previously installed a CarPC. N7 is much better.

Installation is no harder than an aftermarket radio install. I did have to do some fiberglass work in the stock bezel to make it look as stock as possible. My only issue us that I can't paint match the new bezel. I may wrap it in vinyl to better match dash.

Bobby

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Has anyone installed nexus 7 in car dash? / best mounting options-uploadfromtaptalk1354807700326.jpg   Has anyone installed nexus 7 in car dash? / best mounting options-uploadfromtaptalk1354807720107.jpg  
    Bobby Simmons
    WinMobile -> Storm 1 -> Tour -> Storm 2 -> Bold -> Droid X and Fascinate (I've done it all)
    Eduardo06sp likes this.

Global Posts
    398 Global Posts

I gotta say, I'm psyched for the official dock to be near... I'll be grabbing one and trying to mod it into my dash.

Global Posts
    335 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by besjr69 View Post
    Attached is a pic if my dash installation in an '05 Cadillac Deville DTS. I previously installed a CarPC. N7 is much better.

Installation is no harder than an aftermarket radio install. I did have to do some fiberglass work in the stock bezel to make it look as stock as possible. My only issue us that I can't paint match the new bezel. I may wrap it in vinyl to better match dash.

Bobby

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Nicely done sir!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I was obsessed for a while with mounting my N7 in my car, but my better judgement prevented me from dropping a lot of money on it. I went the super budget route, and I am extremely happy with the results.

The first thing I did was buy this hard shell case for my N7 from Amazon, it snaps right onto the back of the N7 while leaving the front fully exposed, easy to pop on and off. $5.95
    Next I bought some velcro sticky back tape to attach to my dash then to back of my N7 case, $3.31

It works great for me, because I wanted to be able to detach it without hassle, and I didnt want to spend a lot of money. I already have some NFC stickers, and I put on one the inside of the N7 case that tweaks my N7 for car mode. Yes I do have two dangling cables (aux audio cable and power cable), but on short trips I dont even bother connecting them, and it looks great. One advantage I had though was a relatively flat surface to mount to, because it just happens to fit perfectly on my make / model of car (2009 Altima), and the velcro strips are near invisible when I don't have the N7 mounted.

Total cost, approximately $10

*** Updated with terrible pictures

1) Pic of N7 next to hard shell case. Notice the sticker mark where I first placed the NFC sticker, but it wasn't near the "sweet spot".

Has anyone installed nexus 7 in car dash? / best mounting options-imag0535_burst003.jpg

2) Pic of dashboard with strategically placed velcro

Has anyone installed nexus 7 in car dash? / best mounting options-imag0536.jpg

3) N7 in hardshell attached to dash

Has anyone installed nexus 7 in car dash? / best mounting options-imag0537.jpg

4) Lame wires!

Has anyone installed nexus 7 in car dash? / best mounting options-imag0538.jpg
    Last edited by bas.androiddev; 12-07-2012 at 08:41 AM.
    FApple

There's a nice "" in a spray bomb at Advance that will match it.

Quote Originally Posted by bas.androiddev View Post
    I was obsessed for a while with mounting my N7 in my car, but my better judgement prevented me from dropping a lot of money on it. I went the super budget route, and I am extremely happy with the results.

The first thing I did was buy this hard shell case for my N7 from Amazon, it snaps right onto the back of the N7 while leaving the front fully exposed, easy to pop on and off. $5.95
    Next I bought some velcro sticky back tape to attach to my dash then to back of my N7 case, $3.31

It works great for me, because I wanted to be able to detach it without hassle, and I didnt want to spend a lot of money. I already have some NFC stickers, and I put on one the inside of the N7 case that tweaks my N7 for car mode. Yes I do have two dangling cables (aux audio cable and power cable), but on short trips I dont even bother connecting them, and it looks great. One advantage I had though was a relatively flat surface to mount to, because it just happens to fit perfectly on my make / model of car (2009 Altima), and the velcro strips are near invisible when I don't have the N7 mounted.

Total cost, approximately $10
    Pics of your install please!

Quote Originally Posted by CJREX View Post
    Pics of your install please!
    Is "velcro" considered an install?.....

Quote Originally Posted by mathelm View Post
    Hehe no, I agree. I hestitated even posting this because it didnt fit with the original posters subject really. I was so interested in doing an in-dash install but just couldnt justify the time and expense so I thought I might share a cheap alternative.
    FApple

Quote Originally Posted by mathelm View Post
    I don't suppose it is.

It sounded better than "post pics of your velcro attachment" though.

And the pics explained what I wanted to know.

Thanks!

This is the one I'm holding out for.

Notice the note on the bottom.
    7"+ tablets are not compatible with the MT5000, but watch for the nGroove 6000 in early Jan 2013!

Who uses CDs in the car anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by tflash View Post
    This is the one I'm holding out for.
    That is clever, I've not heard of any mount solution that used the cd player as an anchor.
    FApple

Default Re: Has anyone installed nexus 7 in car dash? / best mounting opt

Pretty neat!
    Only issue I'd have though is that Bluetooth uses lossy data compression which smooshes the sound quality, not to mention breaking up when there's interference on the same frequency band.
    You'd get much better quality hooking up the headphone jack into an amp, and dramatically better quality skipping the average built in DAC in the N7 altogether in favor of an external USB DAC.

Global Posts
    398 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fluxeternal View Post
    Pretty neat!
    Only issue I'd have though is that Bluetooth uses lossy data compression which smooshes the sound quality, not to mention breaking up when there's interference on the same frequency band.
    You'd get much better quality hooking up the headphone jack into an amp, and dramatically better quality skipping the average built in DAC in the N7 altogether in favor of an external USB DAC.
    Bluetooth audio actually sounds really really good on the stock head unit in my 2012 WRX.

Here's my nexus 7 install using the official dock.

here's the build thread
    Thanked by:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12