Has anyone installed nexus 7 in car dash? / best mounting options

MrProph

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
yea i have seen the video floating around of the guy installing it on the 08 ram..but just wondering if anyone else has tried this..and on the flip side if not then what are the best mounting options? id really rather not have it hanging from the windshield

dportal2006

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
yea i have seen the video floating around of the guy installing it on the 08 ram..but just wondering if anyone else has tried this..and on the flip side if not then what are the best mounting options? id really rather not have it hanging from the windshield

Unless you have a really long trip ahead or a very long commute. Don't really see the point in this. I saw the video you are talking about and I looks like a pain in the ass getting the tablet in an out if you have it in a case. Maybe you should wait bit and see if something more official come up.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Re: Has anyone installed nexus 7 in car dash? / best mounting opt

I love to give it a try (in-dash custom mounting) but don't have the time to put into it right now.

I remember seeing someone post a link to a place that sells equipment for cop cars. It has a bunch of different types mounts for laptops, tablets, phone, etc. I'll do some searching to see if I can find the link.

MrProph

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

yea the inserting/removing was dookie on that ram...my best idea would be a 3 prong unit that pops out a little...sorta like a big brother to the old stereo cassette tape doors

Nightline

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site

I am the camera man for Amplified! the internet tv show with the guys over at SoundMan Car Audio in Santa Clarita, CA. They were the first to put an iPad in a Car, and just yesterday (8/11/12), we filmed putting a Nexus 7 in a car... my car. :)

Here is a picture, and a video. I love, it and it looks pretty cool. I wanted a simple install with no wires, as I just stream via bluetooth, and I don't see an issue where I would need to have it plugged in since it has great battery life. I have My Ford Touch in my 2011 Ford Edge, and I wanted to keep that screen but have the option to temporarily cover it with the Nexus 7 when I want more functionality in the vehicle.

They already sell iPad panel kits, and they will be adding this magnetic/removal kit as well. If you are in interested, you can contact them on FB for pricing. https://www.facebook.com/SoundManCarAudio

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmbh7eAYL8k[/YT]
428911_3442877197403_1676637042_n.jpg

391514_3442882277530_766246818_n.jpg

Last edited:

Edwill86

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site

wow that is really cool! would even be possible with my aftermarket double din pioneer head unit. i would love that system.
7497527388_e8cb33e2bf_c.jpg

rchap

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site

I wish this was a standard double din mounting kit. Looks like a great option for anyone with that exact car.

IceDree

= I C E D R E E = ?
Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I am the camera man for Amplified! the internet tv show with the guys over at SoundMan Car Audio in Santa Clarita, CA. They were the first to put an iPad in a Car, and just yesterday (8/11/12), we filmed putting a Nexus 7 in a car... my car. :)

Here is a picture, and a video. I love, it and it looks pretty cool. I wanted a simple install with no wires, as I just stream via bluetooth, and I don't see an issue where I would need to have it plugged in since it has great battery life. I have My Ford Touch in my 2011 Ford Edge, and I wanted to keep that screen but have the option to temporarily cover it with the Nexus 7 when I want more functionality in the vehicle.

They already sell iPad panel kits, and they will be adding this magnetic/removal kit as well. If you are in interested, you can contact them on FB for pricing. https://www.facebook.com/SoundManCarAudio

Click to view quoted video
Click to view quoted image

That's a nice, clean & awesome installation !!!
Congratulations man

svfd757

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
yea the inserting/removing was dookie on that ram...my best idea would be a 3 prong unit that pops out a little...sorta like a big brother to the old stereo cassette tape doors

That video was of an early build. From what I understand they were going to make it easier to remove with their final product. I'm very interested in installing one in my F150. This tablet would be amazing on the road

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

mcberger50

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site

I have used RAM mounts for my last couple of devices and love the fact that you can piece together whatever you need for a mounting system. The only drawback has been the lack of device specific holders... until now. After reading this thread I decided to email them about a nexus 7 specific holder and found this:
Google Nexus 7 Mounts

MrProph

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

Click to view quoted video

oh by the way very nice i like it..dont think that would work for my car thought how sturdy is it? looks like it might jiggle around a bit though

That video was of an early build. From what I understand they were going to make it easier to remove with their final product. I'm very interested in installing one in my F150. This tablet would be amazing on the road

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

yea dont get me wrong whole setup was incredible

F34R

F34RTEHDR01D
Jul 8, 2010
Visit site

I've been thinking of doing something to have it in my tacoma. That video was pretty impressive.

eneisch

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site

I have used RAM mounts for my last couple of devices and love the fact that you can piece together whatever you need for a mounting system. The only drawback has been the lack of device specific holders... until now. After reading this thread I decided to email them about a nexus 7 specific holder and found this:
Google Nexus 7 Mounts

Thanks for the link to the RAM Mounts website. Their mounts look awesome. I like that I can buy a mounting arm and switch mounts for different devices!

Nightline

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site

The full episode for the show has just been posted. Enjoy guys, and we welcome your subscriptions!! New episodes ever Monday.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqSd8YRBtyU[/YT]

flacousa

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Looks neat but whitout external power not so hot when navigating with GPS on, battery will be dead fast, GPS is a battery hog.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Nightline

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site

Looks neat but whitout external power not so hot when navigating with GPS on, battery will be dead fast, GPS is a battery hog.

Sent from my Nexus 7

This one thing I will be testing on a full charge to see how it is. Other than Vegas, the most I trave would only be about 90 minutes one way, and even that is rare, but I will test it out and report back. :)

dmorulez

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site

I mounted mine in a 2002 Civic Si. It fits perfectly in the spot that's there for the radio. The Radio sits behind the tablet and it looks pretty clean. I also wired up a 12v power supply behind the radio and wires pass from behind. This way with the power plugged in, you can use the always on when charging function. My only thing that I'm trying to figure out is how to mount/attach a magnetic switch. Because the tab sits flush with the dash, hitting the power button is not ideal. If I was able to mount a magnet button somewhere, this would be complete. Anyone have ideas on that?