Some interesting info for those concerned with quality

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Just got off the phone with a CS rep. As always, take this with a grain of salt...

However, I asked them about the return rate. For the first batch--it's astronomical. This batch has an SSN# with C60 starting out. When they went on "hiatus" from selling, they switched over to the new batch--C70. Which, according to the info they have from Asus, should be devoid of the previous defects--flickering, backlight bleed, lifting, etc.

I have a C70 and it's absolutely perfect. If I were you folks who've owned 83 of these things, I'd (1) stop purchasing from where you are/have been, and (2) return your defective unit and order directly from the Play Store, making sure you get a C70 model.

That is all :).

Last edited:

F34R

F34RTEHDR01D
Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
That's even more convincing to get it from the Play Store like you were telling me to do earlier lol. Kudos to you.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
That's even more convincing to get it from the Play Store like you were telling me to do earlier lol. Kudos to you.

No worries. I asked them every question in the book (actual issue--my prior return and my refund lol) because I figured--why not?!

Hope you as much luck as I've had!

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I don't see anything starting with C60 in mine. There is a C80 though, midway through the serial number. Is that what you are referring to?

F34R

F34RTEHDR01D
Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Here's hoping. I'll wait just a couple weeks to see if any nearby Wal Marts get a new batch from C70 or C80. If they don't, I'll do what you've suggested. I appreciate your input.

dralezero

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I probably posted my issues too many times across threads but i wanted to comment on the C70. I may be a small exception. I wouldn't expect every single product to be perfect always but I have a C70. It was my replacement shipped 8/1 after was back in stock. Has random black lines across the 800px axis. But maybe a vsync/software issue because someone flashed motley kernel and didn't have it nymore. And because I can make it stop by turning on Dev touch pointer options.

But my touch stops responding sometimes. Tested with a touch test app and Dev options.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Sesami

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
How do you tell if you have a C70 or 60 or whatever?

Edit: Nevermind, I found it. I apparently have a C60, but it doesn't appear to have that many problems. But if I did want to return it, I guess to the store I got it from rather than Google Play?

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I probably posted my issues too many times across threads but i wanted to comment on the C70. I may be a small exception. I wouldn't expect every single product to be perfect always but I have a C70. It was my replacement shipped 8/1 after was back in stock. Has random black lines across the 800px axis. But maybe a vsync/software issue because someone flashed motley kernel and didn't have it nymore. And because I can make it stop by turning on Dev touch pointer options.

But my touch stops responding sometimes. Tested with a touch test app and Dev options.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Could be; doesn't sound like one of the "common" issues/defects.

Edit: Nevermind, I found it. I apparently have a C60, but it doesn't appear to have that many problems. But if I did want to return it, I guess to the store I got it from rather than Google Play?

Yes. Or you can see what Asus can do for you directly.

F34R

F34RTEHDR01D
Jul 8, 2010
Visit site

I'd suggest returning it where you bought it from. That's just me though.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I am guessing they mean you have to look on the white label on the box and look at the SSN number.

Yes. And be sure not to post the whole SSN, lest thieves and hooligans get after you!

All that matters are the first 3 digits--C##.

Sesami

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
So if I DID take it back to the store, what should I say? That I want a newer one and specifically ask or see if they have C70-C80s? I mean, mine doesn't really have any problems, BUT it does have a very slight lift, which really doesn't bother me much since I don't notice it, and some flickering on low light settings. Other than that, there are no problems. I also accidently ran into the door the other day while holding my tablet in one hand and kind of nicked a corner of it, but you can't see it anymore now it's inside a case. But are the C70+ void of problems or most problems? I don't want to drive all the way back to the store if not much is going to change.

Sesami

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I just called a couple of local stores to see if they had the tablet in stock. I also called the store I got it from to see if they had the newer ones. They were pretty useless as far as helping me. TBH, the problems don't bother me that much but I'm worried they will become more of an issue down the road. In that case, I could always buy a new tablet and return the old one right? That wouldn't be the best idea but.. just saying.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I just called a couple of local stores to see if they had the tablet in stock. I also called the store I got it from to see if they had the newer ones. They were pretty useless as far as helping me. TBH, the problems don't bother me that much but I'm worried they will become more of an issue down the road. In that case, I could always buy a new tablet and return the old one right? That wouldn't be the best idea but.. just saying.

Depends on the return policy at the store you bought it at.

In my case, I got mine at Staples a little over 2 weeks ago. Staples has a 14-day return policy, so I cannot return it there any longer. I have a slight screen lift but I would never have noticed it if it were not for the threads on this forum, so I've decided it's not worth exchanging the unit for - unless it gets worse.

If it gets worse, I'll be contacting Asus and requesting a warranty replacement.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Depends on the return policy at the store you bought it at.

In my case, I got mine at Staples a little over 2 weeks ago. Staples has a 14-day return policy, so I cannot return it there any longer. I have a slight screen lift but I would never have noticed it if it were not for the threads on this forum, so I've decided it's not worth exchanging the unit for - unless it gets worse.

If it gets worse, I'll be contacting Asus and requesting a warranty replacement.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/07/18/how-to-fix-screen-lifting-issue-on-the-nexus-7/

Nychotxxx

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I have a c60 from radioshack.com and no problems whatsoever. Dont forget theres a year epwarranty kn these things so if something goes wrong next year they'll probably just swap it out for a new one.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz