Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    What do you think?

Default Some interesting info for those concerned with quality

Just got off the phone with a CS rep. As always, take this with a grain of salt...

However, I asked them about the return rate. For the first batch--it's astronomical. This batch has an SSN# with C60 starting out. When they went on "hiatus" from selling, they switched over to the new batch--C70. Which, according to the info they have from Asus, should be devoid of the previous defects--flickering, backlight bleed, lifting, etc.

I have a C70 and it's absolutely perfect. If I were you folks who've owned 83 of these things, I'd (1) stop purchasing from where you are/have been, and (2) return your defective unit and order directly from the Play Store, making sure you get a C70 model.

That is all .
    Last edited by dmmarck; 08-13-2012 at 12:45 PM.
    Thanked by 3:
    F34R and still1 like this.
    F34RTEHDR01D

Global Posts
    542 Global Posts

Default Re: Some interesting info for those concerned with quality

That's even more convincing to get it from the Play Store like you were telling me to do earlier lol. Kudos to you.

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Sooo ordering from the Play Store and having to wait longer did have a benefit? Sweet!
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    That's even more convincing to get it from the Play Store like you were telling me to do earlier lol. Kudos to you.
    No worries. I asked them every question in the book (actual issue--my prior return and my refund lol) because I figured--why not?!

Hope you as much luck as I've had!

I don't see anything starting with C60 in mine. There is a C80 though, midway through the serial number. Is that what you are referring to?
    F34RTEHDR01D

Global Posts
    542 Global Posts

Here's hoping. I'll wait just a couple weeks to see if any nearby Wal Marts get a new batch from C70 or C80. If they don't, I'll do what you've suggested. I appreciate your input.

I probably posted my issues too many times across threads but i wanted to comment on the C70. I may be a small exception. I wouldn't expect every single product to be perfect always but I have a C70. It was my replacement shipped 8/1 after was back in stock. Has random black lines across the 800px axis. But maybe a vsync/software issue because someone flashed motley kernel and didn't have it nymore. And because I can make it stop by turning on Dev touch pointer options.

But my touch stops responding sometimes. Tested with a touch test app and Dev options.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    130 Global Posts

How do you tell if you have a C70 or 60 or whatever?

Edit: Nevermind, I found it. I apparently have a C60, but it doesn't appear to have that many problems. But if I did want to return it, I guess to the store I got it from rather than Google Play?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyi View Post
    The first letters of serial number on box or the clear sticker on the back bottom of the device

10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeLip View Post
    I don't see anything starting with C60 in mine. There is a C80 though, midway through the serial number. Is that what you are referring to?
    Check your box...there are a variety of numbers. Look for:

SSN: C##
    It'll have a bunch of numbers after that...
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by dralezero View Post
    I probably posted my issues too many times across threads but i wanted to comment on the C70. I may be a small exception. I wouldn't expect every single product to be perfect always but I have a C70. It was my replacement shipped 8/1 after was back in stock. Has random black lines across the 800px axis. But maybe a vsync/software issue because someone flashed motley kernel and didn't have it nymore. And because I can make it stop by turning on Dev touch pointer options.

But my touch stops responding sometimes. Tested with a touch test app and Dev options.

Could be; doesn't sound like one of the "common" issues/defects.

Edit: Nevermind, I found it. I apparently have a C60, but it doesn't appear to have that many problems. But if I did want to return it, I guess to the store I got it from rather than Google Play?
    Yes. Or you can see what Asus can do for you directly.

I am guessing they mean you have to look on the white label on the box and look at the SSN number.
    F34RTEHDR01D

Global Posts
    542 Global Posts

I'd suggest returning it where you bought it from. That's just me though.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by dsf7 View Post
    I am guessing they mean you have to look on the white label on the box and look at the SSN number.
    Yes. And be sure not to post the whole SSN, lest thieves and hooligans get after you!

All that matters are the first 3 digits--C##.

Global Posts
    130 Global Posts

So if I DID take it back to the store, what should I say? That I want a newer one and specifically ask or see if they have C70-C80s? I mean, mine doesn't really have any problems, BUT it does have a very slight lift, which really doesn't bother me much since I don't notice it, and some flickering on low light settings. Other than that, there are no problems. I also accidently ran into the door the other day while holding my tablet in one hand and kind of nicked a corner of it, but you can't see it anymore now it's inside a case. But are the C70+ void of problems or most problems? I don't want to drive all the way back to the store if not much is going to change.

I saw a xda member posting the same after a brief call with google..
    guess its the c60 and c70 they were talking about. thanks for the info.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    130 Global Posts

I just called a couple of local stores to see if they had the tablet in stock. I also called the store I got it from to see if they had the newer ones. They were pretty useless as far as helping me. TBH, the problems don't bother me that much but I'm worried they will become more of an issue down the road. In that case, I could always buy a new tablet and return the old one right? That wouldn't be the best idea but.. just saying.

ROM
    Stock

I just called a couple of local stores to see if they had the tablet in stock. I also called the store I got it from to see if they had the newer ones. They were pretty useless as far as helping me. TBH, the problems don't bother me that much but I'm worried they will become more of an issue down the road. In that case, I could always buy a new tablet and return the old one right? That wouldn't be the best idea but.. just saying.
    Depends on the return policy at the store you bought it at.

In my case, I got mine at Staples a little over 2 weeks ago. Staples has a 14-day return policy, so I cannot return it there any longer. I have a slight screen lift but I would never have noticed it if it were not for the threads on this forum, so I've decided it's not worth exchanging the unit for - unless it gets worse.

If it gets worse, I'll be contacting Asus and requesting a warranty replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by natehoy View Post
    Depends on the return policy at the store you bought it at.

In my case, I got mine at Staples a little over 2 weeks ago. Staples has a 14-day return policy, so I cannot return it there any longer. I have a slight screen lift but I would never have noticed it if it were not for the threads on this forum, so I've decided it's not worth exchanging the unit for - unless it gets worse.

If it gets worse, I'll be contacting Asus and requesting a warranty replacement.

I have a c60 from radioshack.com and no problems whatsoever. Dont forget theres a year epwarranty kn these things so if something goes wrong next year they'll probably just swap it out for a new one.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    Does this void the warranty? I'm all about DIY, but make sure you don't back yourself into the corner.

Plus, this is supposedly a "temporary" fix.

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    I appreciate the tip, but knowing my luck I'd frig something up and make it a non-warranty eligible issue.

Plus I've read that people have done this and found that the lift comes back eventually - it may be more the action of putting the back cover back on that temporarily glues the cover back into place. I'll save measures like popping the back cover off for intentional warranty-voiding activities (I'm sure someone will have some neat hardware hacks for this thing sometime!).

A few days ago, I watched a long video and then read for a couple of hours, all the time holding the Nexus by the area that suffers from the lift and squeezing gently occasionally. It has gone from "all but unnoticeable" to "completely unnoticeable without my magnifying glass" for now.

Once I get a protective case on this thing, which is something I really ought to do, there's no way I'll notice it unless it starts getting really bad.

The internal serial wouldn't match the box and might cause issues for somebody but the store probably returns opened items if you say its defective.

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by dmmarck View Post
    Does this void the warranty? I'm all about DIY, but make sure you don't back yourself into the corner.

Plus, this is supposedly a "temporary" fix.
    From what I've read elsewhere, no, removing the back cover is not a warranty-voiding event. I still wouldn't risk it personally if I had any intention of using the warranty, but the general consensus seems to be it's safe enough. Take that for what it's worth - an uninformed member of the unwashed masses bleating the majority of the beats he's heard from other unwashed heathen. (grin).

And, yes, the screw-tightening fix is, by all accounts, temporary. In fact, if you heat the device up a little (by using it heavily) and gently squeeze on the separated area, you can sometimes get the glue to re-seat (worked for me). It might be that the mechanical force of putting the back cover on is actually re-seating the glue, and the tightening of the screws has nothing to do with it.

Some people have put clamps on the Nexus (with low tension!!!!) and others have stacked a few books on it. Others like me have simply pushed it down with our fingers. Many reports of this fix being temporary have floated around, mine seems to be holding pretty well - I still have a screen raise but I can't make the screen artifact (that LCD-ish color weirdness you get when you poke or push on a soft LCD panel like a large monitor) by squeezing on the edge any more - and even when I could that's not a normal use case for the device anyway...
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    2,348 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I got mine at Staples a few weeks ago and it's a C60. No issues with it.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast