Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Default Re: Hmmm my nexus won't turn on anymore

Damn, I was scared so hard when i switched it off just to check its switch on-time, and it didn't go on anymore... I tried everything and just when I read about the "30 seconds"-solution over here it was on. So just having some patience would help a lot it seems.

help me, I'm brazilian and I have a nexus 7 (a friend of my boyfriend bought for me) firstly it was incrediIble, I just loved it but now, after 1 month I can't turn it on! what I have to do? It doesn't work!
    Now I'm using my computer!

Hello, I am new to this forum, well, because my Nexus 7 16gb purchased online from Sam's Club has 2 issues: 1] sometimes it will not turn on; and 2] the battery indicator shows about 3 hrs of time left when it is charged at 100%. Sam's Club replaced the original one I purchased with this one that is also problematic.

Xterra, can you give me the Google phone number you used to get a replacement? Thank you in advance.

Anyone, can you explain what function is performed when holding down the various button combinations? I'm guessing it is some type of reboot, but details on which button or buttons would be appreciated. Thanks again.

Edited: I now believe the battery time displayed is a history and not an indication of remaining battery life. Is there a function that displays remaining battery life in hrs and min?
    Edited again: I saw a post where someone recommended Battery Widget? Reborn! Pro. I downloaded it from the PlayStore and it is helpful. I also found a post that explained holding down the power and down volume buttons together launches a 'soft reboot'.
    Last edited by ndinstl; 10-28-2012 at 06:34 PM.

Smile Re: Hmmm my nexus won't turn on anymore

I am thankful you had this question, cuz this happened to me just now and I am grateful that George had an effective answer. THANK YOU!
    Now, does anyone know why this happens, is it a sign of a problem brewing?

Smile Re: Hmmm my nexus won't turn on anymore

I had the same issue and before I went back to get it replaced holding the power on button for 30 secs worked, thanks!

Thanks Soooo Much i just made an account to thank you for the trick of holding the power button for 30 seconds

Quote Originally Posted by yugin View Post
    in my case 2 Google support dudes were trying to convince me that holding power button for 30-45 sec was quite normal. I didn't buy it and escalated issues to ASUS and they said that it is really abnormal and I should send my unit for repairs. I just exchanging it in the store. Just FYI.
    That's what a manufacturer would say, would be my guess. They would rather replace it than have it known as an issue. Too bad we can't get government recalls on these like we get with our Toyotas.
    Maxwell was the 1st "Smart" phone user......

Is this problem also seen in the new 32gb version?

My Nexus 7 wouldn't turn on and holding the power button for 30 sec worked for me!!!!! Thanks

i wonder why it's doing that all of a sudden. i thought i killed my Nexus 7, but then i thought "hey what if i hold the Power button long enough?" and it did the trick. Still annoying, when i know i was holding the button for about 3 seconds before, and now i have to hold it for like 15 seconds.

Is there a fix for that? apart of "returning it" i mean.

edit: now that's weird, when i enable "Debugging" (in developer options). It boot up fine after holding it for 3-4 seconds.
    Last edited by RaptorZX3; 11-09-2012 at 12:19 AM.
    meliaelan likes this.

I bought it yesterday.and this problem is really annoying me.I went to local store and the guy could turn it on in 3 sec.when I came to my home I could not.Then I found this board and trick for holding power button for 30 sec.It helped.Now I am not sure if I can just replace for another one..
    but sometimes it turns on in 3-4 sec...

Quote Originally Posted by paparazzo79 View Post
    I bought it yesterday.and this problem is really annoying me.I went to local store and the guy could turn it on in 3 sec.when I came to my home I could not.Then I found this board and trick for holding power button for 30 sec.It helped.Now I am not sure if I can just replace for another one..
    but sometimes it turns on in 3-4 sec...
    Try what i've done, turn Debugging on (or USB debugging) in the Developer Options.

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorZX3 View Post
    Try what i've done, turn Debugging on (or USB debugging) in the Developer Options.
    tell me first what that means,when I turn it ON...what is usb debugging?

I read here:

what does that has to do with my problem?

Thank you for the tip, I'm not the gentleman that posted the first question but I had the same problem this morning when I tried to turn on my Nexus 7.

Yes, yes. Everyone needs to remember that Nexus 7's are like boats. They're all "shes". If you can't turn on your girl, you just need to hold her tight, for a little longer.

Works with my wife too!
    Maxwell was the 1st "Smart" phone user......
    meliaelan likes this.

thanks it work s!!!

iv had this problem before , if you hadnt fixed it already , hold the tops button to your volume and the power button at the same time ,it should turn on .

Thank you soooooo much!! I was starting to freak out because it wouldn't turn on! I just held the button down for 30 seconds and it finally came on Thanks!!

The "hold down the power button for 30 seconds" worked for me! Thanks!

Try holding the power button for about 100 seconds until it boots up.

Hi all,
    I am new to this site. I have read all the posts and I have tried holding the power for 30 seconds, doesn't work. I tried the power and vol down buttons and I get the soft bootloader which tells me I am locked. I have tried the start, recovery mode and shut down but none are working. I have just installed the 4.2 update and it worked for a brief time, but while I was watching a video the screen went black and would not restart. I plugged the device into my pc and it showed that the nexus 7 had 0 objects. I have sent an email to ASUS technical but am waiting to hear back if my tablet is toast or not. Any other ideas I can try?

Really helpful, Thanks.

I've done the 30+ sec hold trick way too many times with my Nexus 7. Something is def wrong here -.-

Quote Originally Posted by Charm21 View Post
    Hi all,
    I am new to this site. I have read all the posts and I have tried holding the power for 30 seconds, doesn't work. I tried the power and vol down buttons and I get the soft bootloader which tells me I am locked. I have tried the start, recovery mode and shut down but none are working. I have just installed the 4.2 update and it worked for a brief time, but while I was watching a video the screen went black and would not restart. I plugged the device into my pc and it showed that the nexus 7 had 0 objects. I have sent an email to ASUS technical but am waiting to hear back if my tablet is toast or not. Any other ideas I can try?
    For those of you that this may help, I received a reply from ASUS Tech support with the following instructions: (btw, they didn't work for me as all i get is the fastload menu, in locked state)
    Unplug the power cord and shut the unit off.

2. Press and hold the VOL DOWN and then POWER button at the same time for at least 10-12 seconds until after the start-up screen appears and is joined by some small print at the top of the screen, then let them both go. If the TF booted the way it always does, you have not accomplished the task, try again until you have seen 2 icons (ICS), 4 icons (JB) in the screen.

3. After a few seconds you should see some icons in the middle of the screen - in ICS they are called "Wipe Data" and "Android". The right "Android" will have a green highlight fading in and out. In JB there are four, the first of which is RCK.

4. Press the VOL DOWN button to select the "Wipe Data" icon then VOL UP to confirm it.

5. The system should then Factory Reset as in the "settings" process (method 1). Go through the new install process, adding your account/s & wifi details.

I hope this helps someone else. Thanks!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast