Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Default Re: Hmmm my nexus won't turn on anymore

Didn't read up till know that many were having the same issue but seems like whenever I charge up my N7 it will not boot up but with only a 30 sec hold on the power button. Can't remember if its each and every time as its still relatively new with only a few charges done but think I've done it for the most part after each charge.

Thanks to George for the tip! It worked for me also.

I, too, created an account here just to say thanks, but also to respond to the RTFM people:

No, the Quick Start Guide does NOT mention this!

The Quick Start Guide, page 8, says:

"To restart your Nexus 7 if it becomes unresponsive: Press and hold the Power button for at least 10 seconds."

I am not an English major, but to me this means to hold the button for NO LESS than 10 seconds.

When mine would not restart, I read the Guide and held the button for 12 seconds ... nothing!

Then I held it for 13 seconds ... nothing!

Then I held it for 15 seconds ... still nothing!

Then I decided to Google for a solution and found George's fix.

I held the power button down, and after 17 seconds the device came on!

So, to anyone who says RTFM, I did.

But when one follows the instructions, and it doesn't work, one cannot tell that it would work if one was to continue to hold the button for "x" number of additional seconds.

One does not know that it would start if one was to hold the button for 30 seconds, or 30 minutes, or 30 days!!

If the Guide had said to hold the power button for 30 seconds, I would not have had to search for this fix, nor post this response.

Granted it only took 17 seconds, not 30 ...but someone else might need to hold theirs longer.

I assume that someone holding the button for a long time would know enough to let it go once the device starts ...

I believe that's a reasonable assumption to make ... how many people who drive cars continue to hold the key into the start position once their car has started??

But still remains the question: why does it take 17 seconds to wake up from a full Power Off ??

I have other devices that only take 2-3 seconds to wakeup after they've been completely powered down (an iPod Touch, a CC Witness and a few smartphones over the years)

I assume this is a setting in the Nexus 7 somewhere ... I don't know if it's adjustable by the user, but it must be adjustable by either Google or Asus.

So how about fixing it?

(I'll be emailing that question to Asus tech support)

BIG WHITE BATTERY ICON
    I just bought the 32GB Nexus 7 yesterday. I downloaded a few apps from Google Play and had it on the charger most of the day. Before going to bed, I left it on the charger but powered off. The next morning when I tried to turn it on, all I saw was a large white battery icon in the middle of the screen. After trying many button holding combinations, I must have finally held down the power button long enough and it powered up normally. Whew! Then I found this forum. Obviously the Nexus has a problem or there wouldn't be so many people experiencing this. I'm certainly thankful for these forums.

OP got an updated or better batch of the tablet, I would have done the same knowing what he does, kudos. Hard resets work fine but pulling the battery as a last ditch attempt works better. Had to do it a few times with old cell phones. But not sure of the lag time, maybe keep it unhooked for 10 to 30 secs. Might be a safe time, then re hook and flash it up.

That's the way it works on mine. When connected to the charger & it's off. If you tap the pwr it shows the battery & then turns off again. If you hold the pwr button for 5-10 secs, ii will power up.

Holding the power button on while plugged in for 30 second got it working. It was less than a week old.

Holding Power Button for 30-sec worked for my Nexus 7.

Lightbulb Re: Hmmm my nexus won't turn on anymore

George, thank you for the 30 seconds tip; my Nexus 7 did not start (the batery was charged), but turned on after I hold the power buton for 30 sec. Thank you!

I just bought my nexus 7 on thanksgiving and noticed this issue as well. I actually figured out the 30sec trick before coming to this thread but I think it's important to find out why it's doing this and what's causing this. For people that have had their nexus 7 for a long time did this just start happening? If so maybe it was the latest android update had something to do with it? Updates have been known to bring bugs and performance issues with them before.

If not then it might be a hardware/os issue which is worrisome.

I charged it, (at least I hope I did since I can't turn it one to see)., then did the 30 second power switch hold, but it still won';t turn on. I need to get in touch with Google, I brought the unit through the Google web sake and on top of it all I lost the receipt that came with it. I just want to exchange it, can anyone point me in the right direction to get this done.

Thank

@Xterror, I need the phone number to call google also to get mine replaced. What information did they need.

Thanks

@yuca247, as a matter of fact, it was after the update that mine started the problem with powering on. BUT I can't figure out how to get it to power on much less removed the update.

Quote Originally Posted by George Davis View Post
    The solution is actually very simple,
    just hold the power button for about 30 seconds.... and it will boot.
    TRY IT BEFORE CALLING GOOGLE
    Thanks so much!!!! You're the man!!!!

worked for me WHEW! why does it do it she was just using it a few minutes ago then tried to turn it on and it wouldn't until we did the 30 second thing.

Same kind of situation just happened with me, only I have only had my nexus for less than 24 hours. I was straight about to call google and cuss them out so bad they probably would have wanted to send me three just to keep me happy and my mouth shut

My situation was similar, however my resolution was much simpler. After playing with my Nexus 7 for a few days, it all of a sudden stopped working. The screen would "power" (you can see the LCD activate with power attached) however, the unit would not boot. It also would not boot into the boot loader. My last resort before starting a prolonged warranty replacement through ASUS (minimum resolution would be two weeks) was to open the case. With a guitar pick in hand, I had the case open in 30 seconds and found that the battery cable had become dislodged (most likely due to poor manufacturing.) After reseating the cable and ensuring it was fully locked, I snapped the case on and voila - full boot.

The Nexus 7 (and other Nexus products) are very well designed and can easily be opened without anyone knowing any different. All it takes is a little confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by yuca247 View Post
    I just bought my nexus 7 on thanksgiving and noticed this issue as well. I actually figured out the 30sec trick before coming to this thread but I think it's important to find out why it's doing this and what's causing this. For people that have had their nexus 7 for a long time did this just start happening? If so maybe it was the latest android update had something to do with it? Updates have been known to bring bugs and performance issues with them before.

If not then it might be a hardware/os issue which is worrisome.
    See my comment above - I was able to resolve the issue by reconnecting the battery cable.

For those that are interested, here is a simple tear-down that will help you in opening the case. If you don't need to open the case, the girl in the video is cute and geeky - a powerful combination.

BTW - a medium guitar pick is a wonderful substitute for a "plastic opening tool". YMMV.

My daughter got this for christmas along with my son. Hers has the prob of starting the other doesn't Is this a hardware prob? I don't like the idea of having to hold power button down for extended time.. ( this does work) but I'm not cranking a lawn mower. Also don't like idea of having to crack open new devise. Call me old fashion I just want to work. Guess should have got a mini if I want that. This is like a race car that won't crank. What good is it. What to do what to do? Help a guy out please

Roll Tide Roll

Quote Originally Posted by George Davis View Post
    The solution is actually very simple,
    just hold the power button for about 30 seconds.... and it will boot.
    TRY IT BEFORE CALLING GOOGLE

THANKYOU GEORGE DAVIS! you just saved my *** big time. glad i read that...worked for me

Quote Originally Posted by dooliano View Post
    Is this problem also seen in the new 32gb version?
    Sure is. After a full night on the charger, my 32GB Nexus 7 will periodically not turn on. The "hold the power button down" trick does work. It doesn't happen very often but it really shouldn't happen at all and that's worrisome.

Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7(Nook)

Quote Originally Posted by Conniangel View Post
    @Xterror, I need the phone number to call google also to get mine replaced. What information did they need.

Thanks
    Does Google not work for you?

Smile Re: Hmmm my nexus won't turn on anymore

Thank you George Davis....worked perfectly. Great job. Payton

Thank you so much, that hold for 30s trick really saved me some trouble

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Evans2 View Post
    For those that are interested, here is a simple tear-down that will help you in opening the case. If you don't need to open the case, the girl in the video is cute and geeky - a powerful combination.

BTW - a medium guitar pick is a wonderful substitute for a "plastic opening tool". YMMV.
    I don't see any video.
    Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note 2, Verizon Galaxy S4, or N7, or MacBook Air
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast