Hmmm my nexus won't turn on anymore

paparazzo79

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I bought it yesterday.and this problem is really annoying me.I went to local store and the guy could turn it on in 3 sec.when I came to my home I could not.Then I found this board and trick for holding power button for 30 sec.It helped.Now I am not sure if I can just replace for another one..
but sometimes it turns on in 3-4 sec...

RaptorZX3

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I bought it yesterday.and this problem is really annoying me.I went to local store and the guy could turn it on in 3 sec.when I came to my home I could not.Then I found this board and trick for holding power button for 30 sec.It helped.Now I am not sure if I can just replace for another one..
but sometimes it turns on in 3-4 sec...

Try what i've done, turn Debugging on (or USB debugging) in the Developer Options.

bluesky5000

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for the tip, I'm not the gentleman that posted the first question but I had the same problem this morning when I tried to turn on my Nexus 7.

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Yes, yes. Everyone needs to remember that Nexus 7's are like boats. They're all "shes". If you can't turn on your girl, you just need to hold her tight, for a little longer.

Works with my wife too! :D:D

Shannon Ravida

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
iv had this problem before , if you hadnt fixed it already , hold the tops button to your volume and the power button at the same time ,it should turn on .

Charm21

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,
I am new to this site. I have read all the posts and I have tried holding the power for 30 seconds, doesn't work. I tried the power and vol down buttons and I get the soft bootloader which tells me I am locked. I have tried the start, recovery mode and shut down but none are working. I have just installed the 4.2 update and it worked for a brief time, but while I was watching a video the screen went black and would not restart. I plugged the device into my pc and it showed that the nexus 7 had 0 objects. I have sent an email to ASUS technical but am waiting to hear back if my tablet is toast or not. Any other ideas I can try?

Charm21

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,
I am new to this site. I have read all the posts and I have tried holding the power for 30 seconds, doesn't work. I tried the power and vol down buttons and I get the soft bootloader which tells me I am locked. I have tried the start, recovery mode and shut down but none are working. I have just installed the 4.2 update and it worked for a brief time, but while I was watching a video the screen went black and would not restart. I plugged the device into my pc and it showed that the nexus 7 had 0 objects. I have sent an email to ASUS technical but am waiting to hear back if my tablet is toast or not. Any other ideas I can try?

For those of you that this may help, I received a reply from ASUS Tech support with the following instructions: (btw, they didn't work for me as all i get is the fastload menu, in locked state)
Unplug the power cord and shut the unit off.

2. Press and hold the VOL DOWN and then POWER button at the same time for at least 10-12 seconds until after the start-up screen appears and is joined by some small print at the top of the screen, then let them both go. If the TF booted the way it always does, you have not accomplished the task, try again until you have seen 2 icons (ICS), 4 icons (JB) in the screen.

3. After a few seconds you should see some icons in the middle of the screen - in ICS they are called "Wipe Data" and "Android". The right "Android" will have a green highlight fading in and out. In JB there are four, the first of which is RCK.

4. Press the VOL DOWN button to select the "Wipe Data" icon then VOL UP to confirm it.

5. The system should then Factory Reset as in the "settings" process (method 1). Go through the new install process, adding your account/s & wifi details.

I hope this helps someone else. Thanks!

Coldar

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Didn't read up till know that many were having the same issue but seems like whenever I charge up my N7 it will not boot up but with only a 30 sec hold on the power button. Can't remember if its each and every time as its still relatively new with only a few charges done but think I've done it for the most part after each charge.

johnal5990

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Thanks to George for the tip! It worked for me also.

I, too, created an account here just to say thanks, but also to respond to the RTFM people:

No, the Quick Start Guide does NOT mention this!

The Quick Start Guide, page 8, says:

"To restart your Nexus 7 if it becomes unresponsive: Press and hold the Power button for at least 10 seconds."

I am not an English major, but to me this means to hold the button for NO LESS than 10 seconds.

When mine would not restart, I read the Guide and held the button for 12 seconds ... nothing!

Then I held it for 13 seconds ... nothing!

Then I held it for 15 seconds ... still nothing!

Then I decided to Google for a solution and found George's fix.

I held the power button down, and after 17 seconds the device came on!

So, to anyone who says RTFM, I did.

But when one follows the instructions, and it doesn't work, one cannot tell that it would work if one was to continue to hold the button for "x" number of additional seconds.

One does not know that it would start if one was to hold the button for 30 seconds, or 30 minutes, or 30 days!!

If the Guide had said to hold the power button for 30 seconds, I would not have had to search for this fix, nor post this response.

Granted it only took 17 seconds, not 30 ...but someone else might need to hold theirs longer.

I assume that someone holding the button for a long time would know enough to let it go once the device starts ...

I believe that's a reasonable assumption to make ... how many people who drive cars continue to hold the key into the start position once their car has started??

But still remains the question: why does it take 17 seconds to wake up from a full Power Off ??

I have other devices that only take 2-3 seconds to wakeup after they've been completely powered down (an iPod Touch, a CC Witness and a few smartphones over the years)

I assume this is a setting in the Nexus 7 somewhere ... I don't know if it's adjustable by the user, but it must be adjustable by either Google or Asus.

So how about fixing it?

(I'll be emailing that question to Asus tech support)

Glider_Guider

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
BIG WHITE BATTERY ICON
I just bought the 32GB Nexus 7 yesterday. I downloaded a few apps from Google Play and had it on the charger most of the day. Before going to bed, I left it on the charger but powered off. The next morning when I tried to turn it on, all I saw was a large white battery icon in the middle of the screen. After trying many button holding combinations, I must have finally held down the power button long enough and it powered up normally. Whew! Then I found this forum. Obviously the Nexus has a problem or there wouldn't be so many people experiencing this. I'm certainly thankful for these forums.

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
OP got an updated or better batch of the tablet, I would have done the same knowing what he does, kudos. Hard resets work fine but pulling the battery as a last ditch attempt works better. Had to do it a few times with old cell phones. But not sure of the lag time, maybe keep it unhooked for 10 to 30 secs. Might be a safe time, then re hook and flash it up.

pawber

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
That's the way it works on mine. When connected to the charger & it's off. If you tap the pwr it shows the battery & then turns off again. If you hold the pwr button for 5-10 secs, ii will power up.