Hmmm my nexus won't turn on anymore

Banistean

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
George, thank you for the 30 seconds tip; my Nexus 7 did not start (the batery was charged), but turned on after I hold the power buton for 30 sec. Thank you! :):):)

yuca247

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I just bought my nexus 7 on thanksgiving and noticed this issue as well. I actually figured out the 30sec trick before coming to this thread but I think it's important to find out why it's doing this and what's causing this. For people that have had their nexus 7 for a long time did this just start happening? If so maybe it was the latest android update had something to do with it? Updates have been known to bring bugs and performance issues with them before.

If not then it might be a hardware/os issue which is worrisome.

Conniangel

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I charged it, (at least I hope I did since I can't turn it one to see)., then did the 30 second power switch hold, but it still won';t turn on. I need to get in touch with Google, I brought the unit through the Google web sake and on top of it all I lost the receipt that came with it. I just want to exchange it, can anyone point me in the right direction to get this done.:p

Thank

Conniangel

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
@yuca247, as a matter of fact, it was after the update that mine started the problem with powering on. BUT I can't figure out how to get it to power on much less removed the update.

barmace

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
worked for me WHEW! why does it do it she was just using it a few minutes ago then tried to turn it on and it wouldn't until we did the 30 second thing.

meliaelan

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Same kind of situation just happened with me, only I have only had my nexus for less than 24 hours. I was straight about to call google and cuss them out so bad they probably would have wanted to send me three just to keep me happy and my mouth shut

Josh Evans2

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
My situation was similar, however my resolution was much simpler. After playing with my Nexus 7 for a few days, it all of a sudden stopped working. The screen would "power" (you can see the LCD activate with power attached) however, the unit would not boot. It also would not boot into the boot loader. My last resort before starting a prolonged warranty replacement through ASUS (minimum resolution would be two weeks) was to open the case. With a guitar pick in hand, I had the case open in 30 seconds and found that the battery cable had become dislodged (most likely due to poor manufacturing.) After reseating the cable and ensuring it was fully locked, I snapped the case on and voila - full boot.

The Nexus 7 (and other Nexus products) are very well designed and can easily be opened without anyone knowing any different. All it takes is a little confidence.

Josh Evans2

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I just bought my nexus 7 on thanksgiving and noticed this issue as well. I actually figured out the 30sec trick before coming to this thread but I think it's important to find out why it's doing this and what's causing this. For people that have had their nexus 7 for a long time did this just start happening? If so maybe it was the latest android update had something to do with it? Updates have been known to bring bugs and performance issues with them before.

If not then it might be a hardware/os issue which is worrisome.

See my comment above - I was able to resolve the issue by reconnecting the battery cable.

Josh Evans2

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
For those that are interested, here is a simple tear-down that will help you in opening the case. If you don't need to open the case, the girl in the video is cute and geeky - a powerful combination.

BTW - a medium guitar pick is a wonderful substitute for a "plastic opening tool". YMMV.

Bkey1966

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
My daughter got this for christmas along with my son. Hers has the prob of starting the other doesn't Is this a hardware prob? I don't like the idea of having to hold power button down for extended time.. ( this does work) but I'm not cranking a lawn mower. Also don't like idea of having to crack open new devise. Call me old fashion I just want to work. Guess should have got a mini if I want that. This is like a race car that won't crank. What good is it. What to do what to do? Help a guy out please

Roll Tide Roll

lewie61

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Is this problem also seen in the new 32gb version?

Sure is. After a full night on the charger, my 32GB Nexus 7 will periodically not turn on. The "hold the power button down" trick does work. It doesn't happen very often but it really shouldn't happen at all and that's worrisome.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
For those that are interested, here is a simple tear-down that will help you in opening the case. If you don't need to open the case, the girl in the video is cute and geeky - a powerful combination.

BTW - a medium guitar pick is a wonderful substitute for a "plastic opening tool". YMMV.

I don't see any video.