Nexus 7 or Samsung 7.7

agunjal

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Priced aside. I am looking for a 7inch Android Tablet.....what are you thoughts on Nexus 7 vs. the Samsung 7.7 from Verizon

I like the Samsung 7.7 but wondering if anyone had any thoughts?

LTE
Expansion Card

Nexus 7
Jelly Bean
Quad Core

The price is an issue but looking to get one off Ebay used...
I need email and watch ALOT of videos on line for training

F34R

F34RTEHDR01D
Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
If the connection is your main feature, and wifi isn't something that is 99% of the time there when you need it, then the 7.7 might be a go for you.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Do you have a phone with that you can use to tether? If so don't even consider anything besides the nexus 7. Oh and most apps do work with jellybean. More every day. I've not had single app I use not work with jellybean and I use a lot of apps.

Mco119

May 24, 2012
Visit site
I actually played with a Sammie 7.7 Tab the other day. Have to say, though I expected to like it, I was pretty unimpressed by it. I found the TouchWiz interface to be...well..just terrible, and the screen had the typical AMOLED cartooniness that I'm really starting to dislike. I noticed a fair amount of lag swipping from homescreen to homescreen too.

However, the thing that stood out more than anything else was the awful ergonomics, at least in comparison to the Nexus 7. It just doesn't fit in your hands the way the N7 does, and holding it one handed will be impossible unless you have paws the size of Bigfoot's. A 7.7 tablet sounds deceptively similar to a 7" inch one, but that extra little increase in size dramatically changes the whole feel of the device..it's inching its way back into clunky iPad territory.

Personally, I can't ever envision a situation where I'd pay the extra money for the Samsung 7.7. In my eyes, it offers an inferior experience when compared to what you'd find with the N7. And, at minimum, it is officially WAY overpriced now that the era of high quality $200 tabs is upon us. If you don't want the N7, just wait..more cheap and powerful tablets will show up soon.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I have a MiFi but would need to carry it also.....Plus worried that most apps dont work on Jelly Bean right now
most apps works and more apps are getting compatible now so no worries about that...
I am seeing ton of app updated to support jelly bean... You can always share internet from phone to the tablet... i do it all the time... also you have Mifi just in case you have to use internet.

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I certainly wouldn't worry about Jelly Bean compatibility. Most devs update their apps pretty quickly once made aware of the bug.

What types of video do you watch? Are they flash based? If so, and you aren't a tinkerer, you might be better off getting the Fire at the same price than the N7. Yes, Flash does work on the N7, but if you are looking for straight out of the box capability, the Fire would meet all your needs.

I still vote N7!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

agunjal

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Yes. Mostly all flash based. So Nexus 7 doesn't have flash out of the box? I went to a Verizon store today and the Samsung worked great with the videos I need. I just ordered the Nexus 7. Do I cancel?

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Yes. Mostly all flash based. So Nexus 7 doesn't have flash out of the box? I went to a Verizon store today and the Samsung worked great with the videos I need. I just ordered the Nexus 7. Do I cancel?

Flash takes 3 minutes to install on the N7. Read the sticky on this board.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

pretext

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
You'll have to sideload flash on the nexus, there's a thread on how to do it in the stickies section.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Like CBT said, Flash is quick to install. However, it is not supported by Adobe so who knows how long it will continue to work. It could be forever, or it may could be until the next JB update...nobody can say for sure unless adobe changes their mind and announces additional support.

Everyone is in a different situation. I'm good with playing the roulette game with Flash, I don't rely on it for anything but use it while I can. If you MUST have flash, you might be gambling.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Like CBT said, Flash is quick to install. However, it is not supported by Adobe so who knows how long it will continue to work. It could be forever, or it may could be until the next JB update...nobody can say for sure unless adobe changes their mind and announces additional support.

Everyone is in a different situation. I'm good with playing the roulette game with Flash, I don't rely on it for anything but use it while I can. If you MUST have flash, you might be gambling.

No mobile device is officially supported by adobe anymore.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I did the math on this one - Nexus 7 vs Samsung 7.7. First, let me say I am a Samsung fanboy. Seriously. It's a disease. However the Nexus is about 1/2 the price. It has the same number of pixels in a slightly smaller area, giving a slightly higher display density. In actual use you won't notice the difference. You might notice a difference in their panels. I find Samsung panels better looking. The 7s panel is a little cool. In terms of performance the Nexus 7 has it over the Samsung by at least a small margin in most tests I've seen. Unless you simply cannot live without that rear facing camera (which has been slammed for poor focus and performance), the HDMI connector and microSD card socket, the Nexus 7 is the way to go.

There are some apps the don't work under JB, but they are fewer all the time as developers spin up on the new platform. I have never found one (except Navigon) so that's not an issue. Flash can be jammed on the Nexus as well. So there really is no compelling reason to go with the Samsung, in my opinion anyway. There ARE reasons to go with it, but none were convincing enough to sway me, nor do I regret not spending the extra $200-odd for it :)

teralpar

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
First, let me say I am a Samsung fanboy. Seriously. It's a disease. However the Nexus is about 1/2 the price. It has the same number of pixels in a slightly smaller area, giving a slightly higher display density. In actual use you won't notice the difference. You might notice a difference in their panels. I find Samsung panels better looking. The 7s panel is a little cool. In terms of performance the Nexus 7 has it over the Samsung by at least a small margin in most tests I've seen. Unless you simply cannot live without that rear facing camera (which has been slammed for poor focus and performance), the HDMI connector and microSD card socket, the Nexus 7 is the way to go.

There are some apps the don't work under JB, but they are fewer all the time as developers spin up on the new platform. I have never found one (except Navigon) so that's not an issue. Flash can be jammed on the Nexus as well. So there really is no compelling reason to go with the Samsung, in my opinion anyway. There ARE reasons to go with it, but none were convincing enough to sway me, nor do I regret not spending the extra $200-odd for it :)

I am a Samsung fanboy (well, actually fangirl) as well. I have Samsung phone and have bought Samsung TVs for the past 10 years. I was looking at Samsung tablets before the Nexus 7 came out, but decided to go for the Nexus, mainly because of the lower price, but also for the latest software. I don't regret my decision at all. The Nexus 7 is great. I liked the screen on the Samsung tablet because it is bright and colorful, but now comparing my Samsung Galaxy 2 screen with the Nexus 7 the Samsung's screen is beginning to look sort of "cartoonish" to me. The Nexus 7's screen has a more natural picture.

brunnels

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
You don't HAVE to update it to JB. Also, as suggested in the above post, you can wifi it through a phone if needed.

You do realize that the nexus comes with JB out of the box so explain how there is an option to not update to jellybean, and im not aware of any non JB roms for the nexus.

Reactions: F34R

eneisch

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
After buying the Galaxy Tab 7 Wifi from Samsung, I will never buy another tablet from them again. While the tablet was nice enough, I didn't like all the Samsung bloatware and UI customization that was on it. And most of all, and I cannot stress this enough, I was extremely pissed off that they never produced even one software update for it (even though it needed one). In my opinion they have too many devices to support and are not interested in updating them in a timely manner because of the customization they have to put into it. Samsung would rather you buy their next, new and improved, tablet to get the latest software.

I am hoping that buying a Google Nexus product will mean I will get some form of software updates for as long as the hardware can support them.

F34R

F34RTEHDR01D
Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
You do realize that the nexus comes with JB out of the box so explain how there is an option to not update to jellybean, and im not aware of any non JB roms for the nexus.
Thank you so much for making go back and read what I posted lol. Damn letters got mixed in my head between my phone and tablet lol.

Reactions: brunnels

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34