YAY! Swiftkey 3 now uses Google's Voice Typing!

anon(580888)

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
One interesting thing about the Voice Typing is that it can work when offline. It goes slower, but it works. BUT, when you actually have a connection, but not a very good one, sometimes it times out. It is better in these circumstances to put into airplane mode and use it offline, then go back online if you need to send something. I wish it would figure this out on the fly and switch the Voice Typing to offline when this happens.

I noticed this and even posted a question about it in the GNex forums! It's obviously way worse on that device due to mobile data, and extremely frustrating while driving. It would be great to set a connection timeout or make it default to online. I'm sure that if Google doesn't fix it soon, a ROM dev like CM team will.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

anon(580888)

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I have a 7" tablet and a 4.2" phone, and despite the fact that I have $25 in credit burning a virtual hole in my virtual pocket, I'm cheap and don't like to pay for things twice.

So which version is best for both phone and tablet? Or does it matter?

I own both versions. While I currently use the tablet version with both portrait and landscape keys set to large, it's not perfect yet (predictions are way too small still as you'll see in the attached pics) but it is supposedly optimized for tablets, and it does have split keyboard which the phone version does not have. Split keyboard takes some getting used to on the Nexus 7, but it's definitely nice to have. I also imagine SwiftKey will keep improving the tablet version experience on the Nexus 7 so it'll get better with time.

Regardless, if you absolutely can't get both, then you can get away with the phone version. It (currently) looks good and works fine, but who knows if SwiftKey will end up killing functionality for the Nexus 7.

For the pics, I attached the warning that comes up when installing the phone version (trust me, it still works fine) and what both versions look like in portrait and landscape.

Tablet version = Neon theme (Tron looking black/blue theme)
Phone version = Holo theme (lighter theme, no split keyboard)

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Installed the phone version on my Nexus but the "what type of typist are you" setup option refuses to start. I'll try the tablet one. I do like it on my Gingerbread based Thunderbolt.

Edit: never mind, I'm a doofus. Neglected to download the language pack first. Ddduuuyyyyy...

Last edited:

Jussumguy88

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
I guess I'm a freak of nature. For some reason I like the stock keyboard better than swift key. I think its simply because its bigger. Swift key feels so cramped to me after using the stock keyboard for so long. And yes..I downloaded the tablet version. I can say this though, the ability to predict what youll type next is pretty cool.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I guess I'm a freak of nature. For some reason I like the stock keyboard better than swift key. I think its simply because its bigger. Swift key feels so cramped to me after using the stock keyboard for so long. And yes..I downloaded the tablet version. I can say this though, the ability to predict what youll type next is pretty cool.

I felt that way too until I discovered that I could adjust the size of the keys, that made all the difference!

The other "essential" feature for me is the ability to add direction arrows. Sometimes, when editing, it is a hassle to try and get that cursor in just the right place. With the arrows I just tap in the general area where I want to make the correction or addition, and then use the arrows to get it to the exact spot.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I felt that way too until I discovered that I could adjust the size of the keys, that made all the difference!

The other "essential" feature for me is the ability to add direction arrows. Sometimes, when editing, it is a hassle to try and get that cursor in just the right place. With the arrows I just tap in the general area where I want to make the correction or addition, and then use the arrows to get it to the exact spot.

I'm right there with you on the direction arrows.

Jussumguy88

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site

So after typing that post I decided to give swift key another go around and I've got to say I've been able to type like a beast with this thing with minimal error. Still some key placements and things that I have to get used to... But for the most part I've got to say that this is very nice and responsive. Even when it looks like the keyboard is lagging behind its still keeping up with my key strokes. The amount of customization isnt half bad either. Currently using the neon keyboard but might switch to something else tomorrow idk. One last thing. I had no idea you could raise the height of the keys and like you said this has made all the difference for me. But anyways that's enough rambling out of me. Lol. How do you get the arrows though? I'd like to try that out.

calbearz24

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Did they add the arrows on the tablet? That's the biggest thing I miss from the phone version and the main roadblock to me buying the full tablet version.

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Ugh, you guys are right, I can't find the arrows either! I will have to check into that with the dev team over at their forums.

Edit: in the meantime, I have been considering switching to the phone version for the N7 because the prediction text is bigger. I rarely use the split-screen in landscape anyway and I am not sure there are any other differences.

Edit 2: OK, here is the scoop: they DO plan to add the arrow keys, it was "voted up" by the users and it on their "to do" list. Good for them.

In the meantime, you can toggle them on and off, by tapping the 123 button (going to the numbers keyboard) and tapping the {&= key. Not sure of the logic of that, but that is where they put the toggle.

Last edited:

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000