Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    720 Global Posts

Default YAY! Swiftkey 3 now uses Google's Voice Typing!

In an update that should be hitting the update very soon, SK3 is adding Google's awesome Voice Typing as an optional voice input. They still need to keep the old version since the vast majority don't have Voice Typing yet, but we no longer have to use a convoluted workaround to get to Voice Typing while using SK!!

Default Re: YAY! Swiftkey 3 now uses Google's Voice Typing!

Nice, I really love this app....just started using it with my N7 and added it to my Galaxy Nexus phone too.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    720 Global Posts

The addition of Voice Typing is a HUGE improvement. The older voice input was serviceable, and I used it all the time before Voice Typing came out with ICS, but once you use that, it is hard to go back to the older method.

I just switched back to swift key from swype because of the voice typing.
    Vance14 likes this.

Got this on my Nexus 7 tonight and its so much better than the stock keyboard by a mile so much more responsive and the google voice intregation is genius.

Well I just might have to revisit Swiftkey.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Now here's the big question, tablet version or phone version? I have both downloaded and so far it seems that the phone version is easier to use. The keys on the tablet version are just too small. Thoughts?

Banned

Global Posts
    4,377 Global Posts

I just went back to SwiftKey just to see what this is all about.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Dolfan058 View Post
    It seems that the phone version is easier to use. The keys on the tablet version are just too small. Thoughts?
    I believe you can resize the keys. (At least on the phone version you can. Not sure if that's a "paid" feature).

*disclaimer, Im on the xoom 4.1.1

I prefer the stock keyboard to either the new tablet OR phone versions of swiftkey.

I dont like the separated keyboard and the phone version is way to small.

ROM
    Bugless Beast- GNex

Quote Originally Posted by jlo8720 View Post

I prefer the stock keyboard to either the new tablet OR phone versions of swiftkey.

Also have Xoom, I use Thumb on Xoom. Swiftkey on GNex. Thumb is great on a big tablet.

Quote Originally Posted by jlo8720 View Post

You have the option to choose the regular qwerty keyboard. Just go to settings and switch. And you can resize the phone's keyboard.

There is a setting to resize the keys on both the phone and tablet versions of SK.

ROM
    Jelly Bean / ICS Stock

I jump between swype and swiftkey. 2 good options!!! GO GO GO GO

Works great on my galaxy s 2. In fact I'm using swiftkey and google voice input as I speak this today! Flawless.

Sent from my SPH-D710

Awesome, finally it can replace the stock keyboard!

This is a test of the SwiftKey keyboard. It seems to me really really responsive

:-)
    Vance14 likes this.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Global Posts
    720 Global Posts

One interesting thing about the Voice Typing is that it can work when offline. It goes slower, but it works. BUT, when you actually have a connection, but not a very good one, sometimes it times out. It is better in these circumstances to put into airplane mode and use it offline, then go back online if you need to send something. I wish it would figure this out on the fly and switch the Voice Typing to offline when this happens.
    Dolfan058 likes this.

Global Posts
    1,666 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I have a 7" tablet and a 4.2" phone, and despite the fact that I have $25 in credit burning a virtual hole in my virtual pocket, I'm cheap and don't like to pay for things twice.

So which version is best for both phone and tablet? Or does it matter?
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Global Posts
    720 Global Posts

Can you even use the tablet one for the phone? That split keyboard in landscape would be difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Vance View Post
    One interesting thing about the Voice Typing is that it can work when offline. It goes slower, but it works. BUT, when you actually have a connection, but not a very good one, sometimes it times out. It is better in these circumstances to put into airplane mode and use it offline, then go back online if you need to send something. I wish it would figure this out on the fly and switch the Voice Typing to offline when this happens.
    I noticed this and even posted a question about it in the GNex forums! It's obviously way worse on that device due to mobile data, and extremely frustrating while driving. It would be great to set a connection timeout or make it default to online. I'm sure that if Google doesn't fix it soon, a ROM dev like CM team will.

Quote Originally Posted by natehoy View Post
    I have a 7" tablet and a 4.2" phone, and despite the fact that I have $25 in credit burning a virtual hole in my virtual pocket, I'm cheap and don't like to pay for things twice.

So which version is best for both phone and tablet? Or does it matter?
    I own both versions. While I currently use the tablet version with both portrait and landscape keys set to large, it's not perfect yet (predictions are way too small still as you'll see in the attached pics) but it is supposedly optimized for tablets, and it does have split keyboard which the phone version does not have. Split keyboard takes some getting used to on the Nexus 7, but it's definitely nice to have. I also imagine SwiftKey will keep improving the tablet version experience on the Nexus 7 so it'll get better with time.

Regardless, if you absolutely can't get both, then you can get away with the phone version. It (currently) looks good and works fine, but who knows if SwiftKey will end up killing functionality for the Nexus 7.

For the pics, I attached the warning that comes up when installing the phone version (trust me, it still works fine) and what both versions look like in portrait and landscape.

Tablet version = Neon theme (Tron looking black/blue theme)
    Phone version = Holo theme (lighter theme, no split keyboard)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails YAY! Swiftkey 3 now uses Google's Voice Typing!-uploadfromtaptalk1345196524714.jpg   YAY! Swiftkey 3 now uses Google's Voice Typing!-uploadfromtaptalk1345196542800.jpg   YAY! Swiftkey 3 now uses Google's Voice Typing!-uploadfromtaptalk1345196554325.jpg   YAY! Swiftkey 3 now uses Google's Voice Typing!-uploadfromtaptalk1345196602733.jpg   YAY! Swiftkey 3 now uses Google's Voice Typing!-uploadfromtaptalk1345196618443.jpg  

Global Posts
    1,666 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Installed the phone version on my Nexus but the "what type of typist are you" setup option refuses to start. I'll try the tablet one. I do like it on my Gingerbread based Thunderbolt.

Edit: never mind, I'm a doofus. Neglected to download the language pack first. Ddduuuyyyyy...

Last edited by natehoy; 08-17-2012 at 07:32 PM.
    Phones: BB 8820 -> BB 8310 -> HTC Thunderbolt -> LG Optimus G Pro -> Moto X 2013 -> Moto X 2014 (coming soon)
    Tablet: Nexus 7 2012

Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    ROM
    touch wiz

I guess I'm a freak of nature. For some reason I like the stock keyboard better than swift key. I think its simply because its bigger. Swift key feels so cramped to me after using the stock keyboard for so long. And yes..I downloaded the tablet version. I can say this though, the ability to predict what youll type next is pretty cool.

25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

Global Posts
    720 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jussumguy88 View Post
    I guess I'm a freak of nature. For some reason I like the stock keyboard better than swift key. I think its simply because its bigger. Swift key feels so cramped to me after using the stock keyboard for so long. And yes..I downloaded the tablet version. I can say this though, the ability to predict what youll type next is pretty cool.

I felt that way too until I discovered that I could adjust the size of the keys, that made all the difference!

The other "essential" feature for me is the ability to add direction arrows. Sometimes, when editing, it is a hassle to try and get that cursor in just the right place. With the arrows I just tap in the general area where I want to make the correction or addition, and then use the arrows to get it to the exact spot.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast