Like Tree6Likes
  • 5 Post By area223
  • 1 Post By sushiguy732
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Headphone Jack Too Short?

Well I am using my Nexus 7 when suddenly I need to use headphones. I plug, or at least I try to, in the headphone jack. I lightly force it in, leaving about a millimeter sticking out. It just won't go through! I plugged in a 3.5mm gold-plated jack. Seriously, it won't go in.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    132 Global Posts

Default Re: Headphone Jack Too Short?

Do they work?

Mine certainly seem shallow when I put them in. But they sound just fine, so I don't worry about it.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

That's the problem, I can't hear anything, except from the system speakers.

ROM
    NexsMod 5.0.4

You gotta push them in more. They're a tight fit.
    Thanked by 2:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thank you, embarrassing to admit, it worked.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forumsyou

ROM
    NexsMod 5.0.4

Quote Originally Posted by Eduardo06sp View Post
    Thank you, embarrassing to admit, it worked.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forumsyou
    It's okay! It happens

I had to create an account just to say thanks. I was at my wit's end trying to figure out why the jack seemed broken on my new phone. I've never seen a jack where you have to actually snap it in, so I never thought to push harder

Global Posts
    400 Global Posts
    ROM
    Both are rooted, stock

This is common on new devices. The jack is tight at first, but It'll break-in after a few uses.
    Rhoq

Shove it in!

Samsung Note 2

On mine the headphones only give left audio. Help!!!

Sent from my Nexus 7

Quote Originally Posted by Nedra144 View Post

Sent from my Nexus 7
    Make sure it's snug in the port. Otherwise check to makes sure its not faulty headphones.

Rooted Nexus 7 - XenonHD
    Rooted Dual Boot HP Touchpad - ICS
    Sprint EVO 3D

Global Posts
    347 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nedra144 View Post
    Slam it in until you hear it click....
    Thanked by:

I had the same problem. I wont add anything above to what other users say, because-simply, if you shove it in good enough t should work without complications. I also heard that if you send it in (if theres something else wrong with the jack) that they'll fix it for you with minimal charge. I just used cheap, old, headphones and they work just fine

As another note, I used headphones from my cellphone and they worked-they're a wee bit smaller

My nexus 7 seemed to have broken jacks... I later found out I just hadn't pushed my headphones in far enough. Make sure you didn't do what I did.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by kenyee View Post
    Slam it in until you hear it click....

Just had to register to say I had the same issue. I thought the nexus was messed up since I bought it a few months ago. I never used it for music so no biggie but had recently decided to put some tunes on it. I couldn't get the headphones to work....and then i googled and got this thread.....doh!!

If anyone finds that they still can't get their headphone jack to work, grab a flashlight & make sure there isn't fuzz in the jack. My RAZR wouldn't work with my Square card swipers, which plug into the headphone jack, and the problem ended up being a buildup of lint in the headphone jack, which progressively got shoved into the end until it wouldn't make proper contact.

But that's probably less likely with a tablet since they'll typically spend less time in pockets.
    Tablets: 2nd gen Nexus 7 32gb, 1st gen Nexus 7 16gb
    Phone: Droid MAXX
    Retired: OG Droid, Droid RAZR (RIP), Galaxy Nexus (backup phone)

Global Posts
    1,187 Global Posts
    ROM
    Gummy ICS

Quote Originally Posted by dave1812 View Post
    Shove it in!
    That's what she said!

Sorry... I couldn't resist!
    עם ישראל חי
    liljew likes this.

*Ok I've been using my Nexus for a few months with the different head phones with no problems.
    *Now all of a sudden they have stopped connecting.
    *I know there's nothing wrong with the head phone's because they work fine with other device's.
    *I've tried all the advice from this forum, and I don't think I can push the head phones in any further than I have already.
    *So I'm going to assume that I'm one of the un-lucky ones that needs to have my tablet replaced.
    *I have some fresh Samsung headphone's that came with my Samsung Galaxy ace 2. I'll give them a try before I freak out completely.
    *I'll update with my progress.

Hey this vid might prove useful. Didn't realize how hard you had to shove in the head phones.

Not to happy with how aggressive you have to be with them, but it seems to have worked.
    I also think my design of my head phones didn't help. BUT they did seem to work fine for weeks before this happened.

I had the same problem and I REALLY pushed the plug in - Got a very faint output in only one side. Took my Nexus to a Wireless store and they said they see this a lot. They showed me that all my earphones had only 2 bands. He showed me a 'real' 3.5 earbud that had 3 bands. They worked GREAT. He said that the Nexus 7 was not backward compatible with with the older (2 band) buds. I don't know if this could be the problem but this started happening when I downloaded the new Android 4.3. Perhaps there is something in that caused the problem.

Did you have any progress with this? I'm experiencing the same problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Robinson16 View Post
    I had the same problem and I REALLY pushed the plug in - Got a very faint output in only one side. Took my Nexus to a Wireless store and they said they see this a lot. They showed me that all my earphones had only 2 bands. He showed me a 'real' 3.5 earbud that had 3 bands. They worked GREAT. He said that the Nexus 7 was not backward compatible with with the older (2 band) buds. I don't know if this could be the problem but this started happening when I downloaded the new Android 4.3. Perhaps there is something in that caused the problem.
    Thank you. Three bands are necessary, whether you are using the mike function they are sold as for or just trying to listen. My two band buds tend to cut sound off and switch back to the speakers if pushed right in. And if you do get them to work by fiddling, the sound is mono. There are lots of three band headphones out there for 3 which are not labled 'for Nexus 7' and give excellent stereo. Nexus need to publicise this.

I have the same problam as the 1st guy but pushing harder does not help!!! Can someone help me?!?!