Wired Magizine (and other Cond? Nast publications)

BIGsinner

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
If I come off as venting, I don't mean to, I just hope someone here has a better clue to how stuff works when it comes to this stuff and enlightens the rest of us.

As with what seems to be a lot of other Android Nexus 7 owners, I subscribe to the print edition of Wired Magazine. I had fully expected to be able to enjoy reading my free digital copy of Wired Magizine that was promoted along with my paid print subscription. To my disappointment, (and others who shared their frustration on the Wired Magizine review app) I was told I had to pony up additional $ to enjoy a digital copy. I've made attempts to contact Cond? Nast, who say that the fault lies with Google. Google in turn says the fault actually lies with Cond? Nast. I'm not sure who to believe, and I'm not sure why this is a problem that can't be solved within 30 days of launch. I understand iPad owners can view it for free, (w/paid subscription) but also Kindle and Nook owners as well. Since Kindle and Nook owners actually have customized Android devices, I'm having a hard time understanding why us Nexus 7 owners seem to be given the shaft. I would think it would have been in Cond? Nast's best interests to the Nexus 7 owners (and I guess samsung tab owners too :p ) to show some love to their paid print subscribers, after what appears to be indifference (not appearing to get it resolved) to a major issue. So many reviews on the Google Play store mention a reaction of canceling their paid print subscription.

So does anyone know the inner working of this issue? Perhaps a good reason why Cond? Nast would appear to be dragging their feet about this? That if Google is trying to promote their magizines on the Play Store, why are they letting Cond? Nast handicaping them from getting a good start? I'm not sure, but if Google is trying to promote their play store as an alternative place for different media, I would think they would want to have their items as accessible (price-wise) as their competitors.

Last edited:

AZImmortal

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I don't have any inside knowledge of the situation, but based on the two minutes that I've thought about it after reading your post, this is what I'm assuming is going on. Since you have an existing print subscription, Conde Nast already has your money, and Google is getting nothing directly from you. Google wants to get paid to provide the digital version to you (Google does provide the infrastructure, after all), meaning that in your ideal combined print and digital subscription, Conde Nast would have to be the one to pay them some type of fee. My assumption is that Conde Nast doesn't want to pay them what they're asking.

BIGsinner

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I don't have any inside knowledge of the situation, but based on the two minutes that I've thought about it after reading your post, this is what I'm assuming is going on. Since you have an existing print subscription, Conde Nast already has your money, and Google is getting nothing directly from you. Google wants to get paid to provide the digital version to you (Google does provide the infrastructure, after all), meaning that in your ideal combined print and digital subscription, Conde Nast would have to be the one to pay them some type of fee. My assumption is that Conde Nast doesn't want to pay them what they're asking.

That does seem like a reasonable explanation. If that is the explanation, it would seem like a poor business strategy to break in a market that is heavily dominated by Apple and Amazon. I mean, I understand that Google wants to get theirs, but it would seem they have no leverage against Cond? Nast at this point, and only hurting themselves by restricting access to those they want to market to.

AZImmortal

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Now that I've thought about it a little more, Conde Nast is one of the launch partners of the Nexus 7, so it seems unlikely that there's bad blood with Google. It seems more likely to me now that Conde Nast is purposely withholding the digital version from print subscribers on Play, maybe to protect the print subscriptions in some way. Maybe they feel that by providing you with a digital option, you might be more likely to drop the print subscription in the future and instead buy single digital issues on an irregular basis since you'd be conditioned to view the digital issues, and maybe they feel that Android users are more likely to do this than users of other platforms because Android users are likely to be more tech savvy. Again, this is purely conjecture on my part.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Frankly, I find Wired Magazines print edition appalling. Not because it's bad (it's not - Wireds' actual content is usually pretty good) but because it's almost all ads! If you received just actual content you want, you'd have a few sheets of paper. I'd much prefer the digital version, even though for reading I prefer print. At least when I throw away the digital version I am not throwing away a couple of ground up trees
covered with advertisements.

Edit - yeah, I know. This comment was tangential. Sorry.

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
It seems like it would be up to the publisher to provide an android app or make the content available through their website without blocking mobile browsers.

No matter who the publisher is.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
It's weird making this post because I got lit up for complaining how Conde Nast support for the N7 was crap compared to my Kindle Fire. (The lack of an Amazon Instant Video app was my other main beef.) I was told, "Who cares about your stupid magazines?" more or less. Nice.

Here's the deal, which if you actually read the emails they send to alert you that the tablet edition is available you'll know; I can't post the URL because it's coded to my account and has account info in it, but for Vanity Fair you land at a page that is topped with this: Current print subscribers are entitled to digital access on select tablets. The Vanity Fair tablet edition includes the full version of the magazine plus exclusive interactive extras. Here's how to get started: Apple iPad? ? Kindle Fire ? NOOK Color? or NOOK Tablet? ? Next Issue

The first three have their own dedicated apps, but for vanilla Android you need to use Next Issue, a service that wants to be the "NetFlix of magazines" where you pay $10/mo. to read the 41 magazines they offer. The app is in the Play store, BUT it currently doesn't support the N7 and it appears ICS based on the negative review, except it does to a degree despite Play saying it's not compatible to with any of my devices.

If you go to their FAQ page and follow the proper link - Android?: My Asus, Acer or other device meets the minimum requirements for Next Issue but Google Play says my device is not supported. How do I get Next Issue for my tablet? - you can download the APK which DOES work on my Transformer, but not the N7. Ten days ago, they added a note that Jellybean and Nexus 7 support is coming soon, but no ETA. Bleah.

On my Transformer, I was able to connect my Vanity Fair and Entertainment Weekly subscriptions, but at this time there is no Wired available on Android from Next Issue. I didn't check all of the mags they offer, but of the selection I checked out, the only one without an Android edition is Wired. Whether it's because Wired's nose is so far up Apple's butt that they're leaving shoe prints on their colon or....well, that's probably what it is. It means that right now there is no way to get your free Wired on Android and the other magazines will be a while before they're on the N7.

Hopes this helps y'all. Conde Nast (which I pronounce "Con-dee Nas-tee") is the problem here. Jerks.

BIGsinner

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
What I don't understand is as stated above, Since Cond? Nast is a launch partner of Google's N7, (and prominetly featured at the 2012 Keynote) Why is Google not making a bigger deal about this if they want to break into the this sort of media distribution arena? I mean I understand that Cond? Nast is a heavy hitter for magizine publications, but it would seem like this current business strategy is what makes Google stumble out of the gate rather than catch up. I would love to see Google Play be a major player next to Apple and Amazon, but it's business practices like these that make me think I'm the only one that notices the emperor has no clothes.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Even when Next Issue gets their manure in a pile, they still won't have Wired which is a shame because on the iPad, it's really slick; even better than the Kindle Fire edition. Tons of subtle animations, embedded graphics, it's really slick though it scared my g/f when she was drifting off last night and I launched the Apocalypse issue and the atomic bomb sound came out at full volume.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Well, Next Issue finally got an Nexus 7/JB version out (about a week ago; discovered it last night) and I can finally read EW and VF on my Nexus 7, catching up to what I was able to do with my Kindle Fire. All I need now is Wired (like that's gonna happen; jerks) and a fraking Amazon Instant Video app and I'll be all set.

Rick Brant

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I was able to use version 2.7 on my Galaxy Tab 2 with ICS after clicking several times on the quit button. It was usable. I just got the JB update and 2.7 crashes. I installed the 2.9 version of the Cond? Nast and when I hit quit, it quits!!! This is total BS. Here is the link to the 2.9 apk. Download air.com.condenet.wiredmag-2.apk Good luck to others. I am considering cancelling my subscription as well. The print version is terrible and the digital is great...

my $.02

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
There's no need to mess with Next Issue anymore now that Conde Nast magazines are available free for print subscribers thru the Play Magazines app (not the web for some reason). I've got my Vanity Fair and Wired subs working along with Entertainment Weekly, though the last isn't showing the current issue yet when Next Issue does and people are one-starring it in revenge.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
What's a Wired app and how is it inferior? Because it doesn't have all the cutesy animations like the iPad version has?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463