Can apps auto-update be disabled?

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
If you go to the "My Apps" section of the play store, tap the app to view it, then uncheck the box for allowing auto updates. You will still get a notification that there is a update for that app.

As far as it being a good idea, I think it is. I usually look at the comments before updating. If it seems like a update that makes the app better, i will then update manually. If the update screws things up, I wont update.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
If you don't want to do it for each app you can go into the play store settings and there is a check box to allow/disallow auto-update in a global fashion.

newtabletuser

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Thank you everyone for the helpful information. I checked it out and noticed that none of my apps were scheduled for automatic update. I think what I thought was an update was actually some sort of notification for some "goodies" the developer of Auto Rap sent automatically. I had to empty the cache/data to get rid of the message.

if you want to hang on to flash/dolphin, you are darn right it's a good idea!!!

Dave, I did enable auto update for dolphin as you suggested. However, as far as I know, there is no flash player for my tablet at this time, the Google Nexus 7 (jellybean). Wish there was because I can't access my Amazon Prime Account.

Last edited:

thrust1

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Thanks everyone so much, took my phone into Verison store and two techs could not figure out how to turn my app auto update off. Feel like I just got more control of my life back. Thanks again!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
CanNOT believe that Verizon store employees couldn't even figure that out. I'm telling you, when you have questions, don't waste your time with them--come to us!

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks everyone so much, took my phone into Verison store and two techs could not figure out how to turn my app auto update off. Feel like I just got more control of my life back. Thanks again!

even though you disabled auto update i recommend updating apps manually once in a while.
update fix a lot of bugs/crashes etc as well.

Adam Burco

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
So I am running version 4.3 and there is no settings tab to turn this off. Am I overlooking it? All I get is store home, my apps, my wishlist, and redeem. There is nothing about settings. tapping any of these doesn't get me to the settings either.WTF

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I assume you have a 2012 Nexus 7. You're looking at the menu that appears when you swipe in from the left. Instead, tap the 3 vertical dot button at the upper right (the soft menu button), then tap Settings. The Auto-update options are there.

Chris_OC

Oct 3, 2014
Visit site
I was looking for the answer to this problem and just came across this thread. Unfortunately, turning off auto-update in Google Play doesn't seem to make a difference -- I've had it turned off for a while, but the auto-updates start up within 30 seconds of logging on to wifi. My phone is a Droid Maxx, running Android 4.4.4, and I'm open to other suggestions.

Thanks!

Edit: I'm sorry, I just saw this was a thread for the Nexus 7 tablet, and obviously that's not the device I'm having a problem with. Help would still be appreciated, though.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Are you sure you turned off Auto-Update globally in the Google Play Store settings? I ask because you can select individual apps not to auto-update.

See what happens if you go to Settings>Apps>All, select Google Play Store, and Clear Cache/Clear Data. If that doesn't help, try wiping the cache partition: Wipe Cache Partition - DROID Mini / DROID Ultra / DROID Maxx by Motorola

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech