My new Nexus 7 not charging

snowiii7

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Just bought this today and the tablet is not charging...Using the charger it came with. I used that charger for my Droid X and it charges the phone, but the tablet doesn't charge at all...Product defect or does someone have any tips on how to get it to take a charge? I'm down to 9% batter so I turned it off but left it plugged in.. Thanks!

gbears2010

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem yesterday but it turns out that it might have been a problem with my wall outlet rather than the charger. You should try plugging the charger in a different outlet to rule out that possibility.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

lmw0526

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I too had this problem. At first it charged, used it til the battery needed charging, would not charge for 3 - 4 days of trying. Tried different outlets, left it overnight, only would charge about 14%. Tried charging from GFI outlet and charged fully. When needed charging again, would not charge in same outlet, tried different outlet, then dead and could not boot at all. Tried for 5 days after that to charge it, and tried usb charging to my computer which did not work. It was playing with me with the inconsistent charge and, just when I think it would be ok, it would not charge again. At that point, it was too late to return it where I purchased it to get a new one. I had to send it in to Asus and they had it for about a week and just emailed that they are sending it back. When I called Asus support to see what the problem was, they stated the tablet had ALL bad display ports. They repaired and upgraded the unit and are sending it back to me. What? Bad display ports? Anyway, this is what they found in my instance. Should have just given me a new one.We'll see what happens when I get it back. You think enough people would have reported this problem by now that they would retrofit.

Traveler5

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
I too had this problem. At first it charged, used it til the battery needed charging, would not charge for 3 - 4 days of trying. Tried different outlets, left it overnight, only would charge about 14%. Tried charging from GFI outlet and charged fully. When needed charging again, would not charge in same outlet, tried different outlet, then dead and could not boot at all. Tried for 5 days after that to charge it, and tried usb charging to my computer which did not work. It was playing with me with the inconsistent charge and, just when I think it would be ok, it would not charge again. At that point, it was too late to return it where I purchased it to get a new one. I had to send it in to Asus and they had it for about a week and just emailed that they are sending it back. When I called Asus support to see what the problem was, they stated the tablet had ALL bad display ports. They repaired and upgraded the unit and are sending it back to me. What? Bad display ports? Anyway, this is what they found in my instance. Should have just given me a new one.We'll see what happens when I get it back. You think enough people would have reported this problem by now that they would retrofit.

I wonder if this is what's causing many N7's touchscreens to be periodically unresponsive to taps and swipes.

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
It is probably the connector that interfaces the digitizer/display unit to the mainboard. Other than that, it is a port on macbooks for external monitors.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums

jodeci888

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
My 1st Nexus the screen was ghosting. NOW this 1 isn't charging, I've tried 3 different chargers and my car...... nothing. I'm fed up. BYE BYE Nexus !!!!!!:':)':)':)':)'(

grins

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
This isn't necessarily a response to the OP, but I got to this thread searching for "nexus 7 charging problems" and I later found this:

Mucho charging facts

Seems that for many non-OEM chargers, the Nexus 7 is actually charging, but does not display that it is charging unless the USB data pins are shorted in the cable/charger.

I'll be testing this today by using up my battery and then plugging it in to my after-market charger (Yay monoprice.com! ;-) )

februarywoman

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Yes... had the very same situation. Found out that the bedroom electrical outlets
had been 'broken'. That is, the top outlet was on a wall switch line for bedside
lamp; while the bottom outlet was wired as constant hot. Duh! Make sure your
electrical outlet is working correctly. Good luck!

Jared-5

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I've been unable to find a car charger to work for my Nexus 7, but may have figured out a solution.

I'll post it here if it works.

Jared-5

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
This isn't necessarily a response to the OP, but I got to this thread searching for "nexus 7 charging problems" and I later found this:

Mucho charging facts

Seems that for many non-OEM chargers, the Nexus 7 is actually charging, but does not display that it is charging unless the USB data pins are shorted in the cable/charger.

I'll be testing this today by using up my battery and then plugging it in to my after-market charger (Yay monoprice.com! ;-) )

I just hacked a short USB extension cable and shorted the pins. It finally appears to charge in my car now.

I was about to start hacking the rest of my USB extension cables for spares. But if the Nexus 7 charges even when it doesn't show the "CHARGING" icon, I'll try that first, and not bother. I assume that's close to what this adapter does: iPhone Charging Adapter

MidCat

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Hello Everyone!

I've had my Nexus 7 for about 3 weeks now, everything was fine, and then POOFF! No charging!

I tried different cables, moving the charger to different outlets, and nothing seemed to work. My significant other tried it with his charger and Presto! It charged!
Next day, same problem, tried different cables, charging directly from my PC, my laptop, and nothing! So I figured I would do the same thing I do when my PC is making me curse: Reboot!

Turned off the tablet and just out of curiosity, plugged the charger... TA-DAH! It was charging! Ok, so I got a tablet with PMS, and it's playing with my patience. Today I went to charge it and same thing all over again! So I turned off, plugged the charger in, and it's charging! Has anyone tried this b4? I will try for the rest of this week to see if I am going to need to turn off the darn thing every time I try to charge it! I will let you know!

wiredfellow1

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Brought a new Nexus7 32 GB today..When i switched it on, the battery icon was showing a warning.. i plugged in the charger and the icon shows a flash symbol implying it is charging but the charge stays at 0% no matter how long i charge it....if i remove the charger the battery warning sign re-appears and i don't know if there is any charging left in the battery at all and it switched off a couple of times...... tried to charge with different USB cables including the stock charger..nothing worked...shows up as charging when plugged in..battery stays at 0% (in the settings, it actually says not able to determine the battery's current staus !) as a last resort opened the back cover by sliding my nail in the gap... and disonnected and reconnected the battery cable (the internal battery cable was not properly/fully plugged into the charging leads inside..i guess that was what the original problem was)..restarted the tab...now it shows 100% battery ..solved the problem 100%. Saved me from the hassle of returning it back and waiting for the new one !

Andy Thomas

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
This is exactly what happened to me. Bought today from Argos in Basingstoke. Got it home, went to charge it up, and checked back after 2 hours and it still said 0% charged. Decided to take the back cover off, very reluctantly I have to say! But sure enough, the battery wasn't connected properly. Reconnected it, popped the case back on and voila, a 55% charged battery! Thanks so much to the guy who suggested this. Saved me a lot of hassle exchanging it. If you have the same problem, trust me, it is probably down to this!

socalpeanut

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Thank you! This was my issue as well. Very upsetting when your new toy doesn't work right out of the box. I've been browsing the web and I'm glad I found your post! I was a little nervous about taking off the back cover, but once I did, it was clear the battery cable was only half way in. I connected it fully and wa la! I have a working tablet!

Lydhe

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for the tip, I got my tablet yesterday and I had the same problem with the battery to 0%, I followed the procedure and it was really easy because I had a fear of opening it and aggravate the situation, thank you so much, you saved me from the hassle of returning it back and waiting for the new one ! :cool:

Holly Beth

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the tip. I went to ifixit.com to see how to safely remove back, and voila, the cable pins were only semi-inserted -almost like the battery had pulled them loose at some point, although all felt secure. Turned on and went fine. -from 0 to 60 in less than a minute. Perfect solution to the charging issue, cheers

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey