Can't Find Google Music Songs

antonm

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
I've wrestled wit the same issue. Google must be killing themselves laughing.

I've bought only one song, ever, and I can't find it on my device either. No "mp3" came up during a search of the internal ("phone") sdcard, and the mp3s on my extSdCard did not include the one I'd bought. I did the search with a desktop PC.

However, having just installed Google's Music Manager, it was easy as pie to download the song I'd bought into the desktop's folder of my choice, and there it now sits as an apparently bog-standard MP3 file. It plays perfectly, but I haven't tried playing it on any other device -- wondering if, having logged in to GMM on the desktop, there may be a switch somewhere that says to WMP "aye he's a good'un guv, you can play that", or summat like that.

Dishman_17

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm trying to use Nike+ app with a google play playlist with no luck. It can see my mp3's fine and any playlist I make with them, but it won't see any of my google play songs, even if I have selected "keep on device' .
I'm going back to the base music player and downloading songs from Amazon MP3 moving forward. The playlists and songs can be seen across other apps with no problem.
Samsung S3 with Andriod ver. 4.04

toddbecker#CB

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I just looked in data/data and have no "com.google.android.music/cache/music" (there is a folder for a recipe app) - but the music plays without wifi so it is there somewhere - using es file explorer. They have done an excellent job of bafflement.

Having the same issue with my Motorola RAZR M, I am getting quite frustrated as the RAZR has little free memory.

Sent from my XT907 using Android Central Forums

spm

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Having same issue on SGS3 jellybean. I only downloaded 1 song from Google play store and can't find it anywhere when I have it checked for offline use. I don't like the play music app. I use power amp. I have what a chafe. I have won't be buying from Google Music again until they fix this issue.

toddbecker#CB

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Having the same issue with my Motorola RAZR M, I am getting quite frustrated as the RAZR has little free memory.

I was able to find the offline cache on my RAZR M using Storage Analyzer with root access. I found the files at /data/data/com.google.android.music.files/ which was a directory I could not find using other tools.

I was then successful setting up a link to my external SD card using directory bind.

WooHoo, 10+ GB of music on my phone.

ATabby

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I can only see Play Music downloaded items in Play Music. App info shows a cache of ~104 MB, which is about the right size for the album I downloaded. Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Using a third party file manager: go to the file manager's SETTINGS and untick the setting for "hide system files or hide files that start with a "." (period). Sometimes an app's cache is under a folder named .cache so user will not mess with it. Be careful with system files. There's a reason why some devs prefer to hide it.

Hope it helps.

ier80899

May 26, 2013
Visit site
I posted this on another thread and thought the info would help here...

So I'm taking people's advice in NOT downloading Google Play Music anymore... I cannot find my other downloaded music from the app... and then when using other apps (i.e. TuneWiki or Winamp), I cannot get to the music I just paid Google for.

BUTTTTTT... here's a work-around.
1. Via a computer attached to the phone, find the files at \Android\data\com.google.android.music.files.music. I found all of my songs with the file names of ###..mp3
2. Copy the files over to a directory used by the other app... I moved it over to the Music folder.
3. Rename the files - as well as right-clicking the file name, click Properties, Summary and changing the song's properties.
4. Open a file manager app, find the file, open using your mp3 player app (i.e. not Google Player).
5. I added each song to the Playlist I created for "Google Download" - but STILL couldn't see the songs in the new playlist. But when I went to the playlist called "recently added songs", I could THEN see the songs. So I played the songs from the "recently added songs" playlist, and then added the songs to the "google download" playlist, and it worked.

I'm sure this ALL depends on your phone, O/S, configuration, etc. I am on a Droid 4, ICS, and used the TuneWiki app.

Bottom line, I've only resorted to this step for the songs I had recently purchased from Google Play... moving forward, I won't need to use this work-around as I'll try Amazon music.

Eduardo06sp

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I think I know why the music is hidden.
1. To prevent piracy.

2. To allow seamless sync between your computer and device.
If I delete a song on my computer, it is also automatically removed from my tablet (even if it's stored offline). If the user messes with the files, syncing won't be that easy.

Posted via Android Central App

Gabrielle Ballinger

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
So I downloaded some music from the Google Play store through my phone. I used the PlayStore app to purchase the song, but it doesn't show up in my library. Is that why? It can't be played in my PlayMusic music app? It shows up on my computer, but not my phone. I would think it would be accessible, as I'm using the official Google app, but maybe I'm wrong. :-\

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
So I downloaded some music from the Google Play store through my phone. I used the PlayStore app to purchase the song, but it doesn't show up in my library. Is that why? It can't be played in my PlayMusic music app? It shows up on my computer, but not my phone. I would think it would be accessible, as I'm using the official Google app, but maybe I'm wrong. :-\

Sync your music....

synnersam

May 31, 2011
Visit site
I just looked in data/data and have no "com.google.android.music/cache/music" (there is a folder for a recipe app) - but the music plays without wifi so it is there somewhere - using es file explorer. They have done an excellent job of bafflement.

I think i found the path..../data/data/com.google.android.music/files/music

all the files have numbers in front of them .mp3 . I tried to copy one off of there to my physical SD card and to my computer and could NOT play them with either the native player or my desktops native player. Odd, right? are they encrypted now or something where they wont play by themselves?

Limo1464

May 19, 2014
Visit site
Here is how I solved it. Pain in the *** btw. I downloaded the album or track from Google Play on my computer laptop. Then I used Google Drive on my computer to get it to my Samsung Galaxy S5. Then downloaded a copy off the google drive and bam it showed up in my Samsung Music App. I know one thing will never buy another Google Play music.

Lance

Winged bull

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
Alright, my problem is that I can't find where Google Music stored all my downloaded music.

I searched SD/Android/com.Google.music/cache; it's empty.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

I was searching for an answer until I finally figured it out. For those if you who is still looking for it on the Nexus device, download root explorer then from there click on
data\data\com.google.android.music\files\music

Do not go into SDcard folder. This worked for me on Nexus 6p. Unfortunately you need to be rooted to do this method.

I would also move the files to SDcard folder to make them accessible on PC when plugged in.

Good luck. Hope this help you.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae