Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

If I just buy a cd and rip it can I play it in any app? I get the pirating thing, but I've never really looked into drm (I've heard the term but I guess I just thought if I bought it, it was mine). So can I transfer this album to my pc? What if I don't have an android someday? Will everything I buy from Google be useless?

sent from my bolt using tapatalk

Global Posts
    2,047 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by AZSALUKI View Post
    If I just buy a cd and rip it can I play it in any app? I get the pirating thing, but I've never really looked into drm (I've heard the term but I guess I just thought if I bought it, it was mine). So can I transfer this album to my pc? What if I don't have an android someday? Will everything I buy from Google be useless?

Yes and pretty much u could still stream via online

Sent from my Jelly bean powered Galaxy Nexus
    I'm a android know it all with too much time on my hands
    If I've helped you make sure to hit that thanks button

Global Posts
    48 Global Posts

You can ALWAYS go on your computer and download your music from Google music and then put it back into your nexus for another player to use.

Before doing that, I would ask myself, why is using this other music player so important?

Or you could root and have direct access on your nexus. You will have to wipe your data to root, unless you already unlocked your bootloader in the beginning.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    ultravisitor likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by marty331 View Post
    You can ALWAYS go on your computer and download your music from Google music and then put it back into your nexus for another player to use.

Before doing that, I would ask myself, why is using this other music player so important?

Or you could root and have direct access on your nexus. You will have to wipe your data to root, unless you already unlocked your bootloader in the beginning.

I actually don't even have a nexus. I'm on a rooted thunderbolt. The reason its important is because 1) I don't care for the Google play app and 2) I may not always have an android device.
    I just feel like if I buy the music I should be able to transfer it to whatever I want (I use an old zune in my car sometimes), but from your post it sounds like there's a way to do this. Thanks. When I bought the album I assumed I could download to pc but haven't actually tried. When I realized I couldn't play it on other apps on my phone, I was afraid I couldn't transfer the album to other devices like I am used to doing.

Global Posts
    1,049 Global Posts
    ROM
    ice cold sandwich aokp

And its not going to be labeled there's 2 folders mp3 and albulm art and the only way it downloads is if you have that box checked for off line now Google play dose have a little program that you enter your Gmail and password on and its for your computer and it dose an albulm art and mp3 in one just set it to where over you store your music and enjoy
    http://support.google.com/googleplay/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1229970

Sent from my Desire HD using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,049 Global Posts
    ROM
    ice cold sandwich aokp

You can download it to what ever you want dmr free!!!!!

Sent from my Desire HD using Android Central Forums

I have about 4 gig in my Google music cloud. Went looking at my file system and about 15 of my albums are on my Nexus. I accessed music app only once since I got my tablet on Thursday so I have no clue how/why. Cool thing is for the most part it is my most listened too stuff. Weird.

They all are in SD/music

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks. I was afraid I would manually have to attach all the individual mp3s to the album art when I do go to transfer the album.

Default Re: Can't Find Google Music Songs

Apparently this is supposed to help with freeing your music the way you want it. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...importer&hl=en
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #35  

Quote Originally Posted by jmklei0 View Post
    Apparently this is supposed to help with freeing your music the way you want it. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...importer&hl=en
    It also doesn't work.

I just test it, I pinned an album and opened /data/data/com.google.android.music/cache/music and the album songs are there, there is no Artist/album information but you can transfer the files to wherever place you need. I think that part of the confusion was that there is actually a similar path under /sdcard with an empty cache folder, maybe you need something like root explorer to view the files, although as some one said you can download the info from the web music player up to 2 times.

Regards.

Global Posts
    93 Global Posts

I just looked in data/data and have no "com.google.android.music/cache/music" (there is a folder for a recipe app) - but the music plays without wifi so it is there somewhere - using es file explorer. They have done an excellent job of bafflement.
    Eduardo06sp likes this.

Just to clarify are you looking into /data/data/.... Right? Not in the /sdcard/data/ ?

14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #39  

Quote Originally Posted by rootusr View Post
    Just to clarify are you looking into /data/data/.... Right? Not in the /sdcard/data/ ?

I was wondering the same thing after not finding anything that said 'data'.

Global Posts
    93 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rootusr View Post

Yes. Have looked both places - Nada. Got my husband to try looking using Linux, but the program he has for reading NTFS doesn't work since the update to 4.1.2.

I've wrestled wit the same issue. Google must be killing themselves laughing.

I've bought only one song, ever, and I can't find it on my device either. No "mp3" came up during a search of the internal ("phone") sdcard, and the mp3s on my extSdCard did not include the one I'd bought. I did the search with a desktop PC.

However, having just installed Google's Music Manager, it was easy as pie to download the song I'd bought into the desktop's folder of my choice, and there it now sits as an apparently bog-standard MP3 file. It plays perfectly, but I haven't tried playing it on any other device -- wondering if, having logged in to GMM on the desktop, there may be a switch somewhere that says to WMP "aye he's a good'un guv, you can play that", or summat like that.
    MarksMan99 likes this.

I'm trying to use Nike+ app with a google play playlist with no luck. It can see my mp3's fine and any playlist I make with them, but it won't see any of my google play songs, even if I have selected "keep on device' .
    I'm going back to the base music player and downloading songs from Amazon MP3 moving forward. The playlists and songs can be seen across other apps with no problem.
    Samsung S3 with Andriod ver. 4.04

Quote Originally Posted by tmaze View Post
    I just looked in data/data and have no "com.google.android.music/cache/music" (there is a folder for a recipe app) - but the music plays without wifi so it is there somewhere - using es file explorer. They have done an excellent job of bafflement.
    Having the same issue with my Motorola RAZR M, I am getting quite frustrated as the RAZR has little free memory.

Sent from my XT907 using Android Central Forums
    spm

Having same issue on SGS3 jellybean. I only downloaded 1 song from Google play store and can't find it anywhere when I have it checked for offline use. I don't like the play music app. I use power amp. I have what a chafe. I have won't be buying from Google Music again until they fix this issue.
    Tjlandscaper likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by toddbecker View Post
    Having the same issue with my Motorola RAZR M, I am getting quite frustrated as the RAZR has little free memory.

I was able to find the offline cache on my RAZR M using Storage Analyzer with root access. I found the files at /data/data/com.google.android.music.files/ which was a directory I could not find using other tools.

I was then successful setting up a link to my external SD card using directory bind.

WooHoo, 10+ GB of music on my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by jmklei0 View Post
    Is this app safe? I don't like that it's asking for my Google password.

Quote Originally Posted by djrakowski View Post
    I can only see Play Music downloaded items in Play Music. App info shows a cache of ~104 MB, which is about the right size for the album I downloaded. Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Using a third party file manager: go to the file manager's SETTINGS and untick the setting for "hide system files or hide files that start with a "." (period). Sometimes an app's cache is under a folder named .cache so user will not mess with it. Be careful with system files. There's a reason why some devs prefer to hide it.

Hope it helps.

I posted this on another thread and thought the info would help here...

So I'm taking people's advice in NOT downloading Google Play Music anymore... I cannot find my other downloaded music from the app... and then when using other apps (i.e. TuneWiki or Winamp), I cannot get to the music I just paid Google for.

BUTTTTTT... here's a work-around.
    1. Via a computer attached to the phone, find the files at \Android\data\com.google.android.music.files.music. I found all of my songs with the file names of ###..mp3
    2. Copy the files over to a directory used by the other app... I moved it over to the Music folder.
    3. Rename the files - as well as right-clicking the file name, click Properties, Summary and changing the song's properties.
    4. Open a file manager app, find the file, open using your mp3 player app (i.e. not Google Player).
    5. I added each song to the Playlist I created for "Google Download" - but STILL couldn't see the songs in the new playlist. But when I went to the playlist called "recently added songs", I could THEN see the songs. So I played the songs from the "recently added songs" playlist, and then added the songs to the "google download" playlist, and it worked.

I'm sure this ALL depends on your phone, O/S, configuration, etc. I am on a Droid 4, ICS, and used the TuneWiki app.

Bottom line, I've only resorted to this step for the songs I had recently purchased from Google Play... moving forward, I won't need to use this work-around as I'll try Amazon music.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #49  

I think I know why the music is hidden.
    1. To prevent piracy.

2. To allow seamless sync between your computer and device.
    If I delete a song on my computer, it is also automatically removed from my tablet (even if it's stored offline). If the user messes with the files, syncing won't be that easy.

Posted via Android Central App
    MarksMan99 likes this.

Question Re: Can't Find Google Music Songs

So I downloaded some music from the Google Play store through my phone. I used the PlayStore app to purchase the song, but it doesn't show up in my library. Is that why? It can't be played in my PlayMusic music app? It shows up on my computer, but not my phone. I would think it would be accessible, as I'm using the official Google app, but maybe I'm wrong.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast