Google Drive, accessing offline content problem

skippyV

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Google Drive on Nexus 7. I have a wmv file that is available offline on my tablet.
I know it is not Google Docs compatible for their viewer but I thought one could at least move files out of Google Drive's offline storage to some other folder. If I try and use the "Open with" option I don't get an opportunity to select a program to open it with. Instead just this error:
"Error: Oops - Unable to open document. No viewer is available for this type of document."
I have a file manager installed but no idea where Google Drive is putting the offline content.
At this time I'd just like to move it from Google Drive to somewhere else on my tablet.
Has anyone else used Google Drive on Nexus 7 to move files around that are NOT Google Docs compatible?
I also put this question on a Google Drive forum. If I learn the solution I'll post it to both forums.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Here is how Google drive work with offline files. All offline files will be encrypted and wont be visible to other apps but can only be read by google drive. when you try to open an offline file it will give a decrypting message. This is to protect your files in Google drive.

You have to download the file rather than offline and then other apps will be able to see it but i dont thing download option is there in google drive. you can send the file through gmail by long pressing the file and download it from gmail.

Reactions: Evildad53

Evildad53

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
OK, this is a help. I'm trying to figure out how to be able to save Google Drive docs to my N7 when I might need to not only view them, but actually edit them. (in a meeting away from wireless) So I can email the files to myself, but it sends them as PDF, which means I can't edit them. Sending to Dropbox does the same thing.

On my PC I can download the file in a variety of formats, including RTF or DOC, but then I would have to email them to myself to be able to edit them on the N7. I can then open the email and save to the N7, then open in an editor like Kingston Office.

I just went through this as I typed this message. It works, but man, that's circuitous nonsense!

Anybody have a fave free and a fave paid Office app? I don't need much, mostly just text and spreadsheet.

skippyV

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I tried "DropBox" and it worked easily (thanks, elementur). Also tried CX but it was too slow.
Google Drive - you are disappointing.

anon(680971)

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
I use a few cloud storage apps services for different purposes. The solution. I found was using an app called Folder sync. It let's me sync back and forth between the cloud storage. My cell syncs photos, videos, and audio to the cloud and I edit on my tablet. Works great

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums