Multi tasking doesnot work...video and games not simulataneously

bakotha

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

Need JB experts help on nexus 7 tablet.
yesterday i purchased Google Nexus 7 Tablet.
When i played a video on you tube sight or you tube app and then try to switch to game or even home page, video gets paused..
This looks weird if we cant play video on background then tablet is waste or is there any setting to be done..background video is played even on mobile but not on tablet.

Please help me to know how to play videos and do some other activity like playing games or editing photos..

Regards,
Bala

elementur

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Re: Multi tasking doesnot work...video and games not simulataneou

Multi-tasking does work. Unfortunately, some apps don't behave the same way as others. What you're experiencing with the YT app is just the way it functions. Sorry.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
YouTube or internet video pauses when you switch tasks to avoid audio conflicts. Personally, I hope they change this to give it the functionality of a PC. However, I would add that multitasking on Jellybean is better by far than any other mobile OS.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Multi-tasking does work. Unfortunately, some apps don't behave the same way as others. What you're experiencing with the YT app is just the way it functions. Sorry.

You have the best avatar ever. I wanna be the very best, that no one ever waaaaaas. To catch them is my real quest, to train them is my cauuuuuse. POKE'MON! You're my best friend, in this world we must defeeeend! POKE'MON! Your heart's so truuuuueeee. Your courage will pull us through. POKE'MON! You'll teach me and I'll teach you POOOOK'EMOOOOOON! Gotta catch em'all. POKE'MON!

Last edited:

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

Hi,

When i played a video on you tube sight or you tube app and then try to switch to game or even home page, video gets paused..
This looks weird if we cant play video on background then tablet is waste or is there any setting to be done..background video is played even on mobile but not on tablet.

Please help me to know how to play videos and do some other activity like playing games or editing photos..

Regards,
Bala
The app is designed to work that way... I don't think Google is going to update the youtube app to even play when closed because its a video app. sorry...

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

Hi,

Regards,
Bala

It doesn't even make SENSE to play a video and a game at the same time. Android isn't going to split the screen for you with two (or more apps) and even if it did, it would be giving you a TINY image of both.

If you want to do that, buy a second N7...

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site

It doesn't even make SENSE to play a video and a game at the same time. Android isn't going to split the screen for you with two (or more apps) and even if it did, it would be giving you a TINY image of both.

It may not make SENSE to you, but that doesn't mean others think differently.

That being said, there are many times I would like to watch a video while doing other things. The SGIII and the new Galaxy Note 10.1 have the ability to do "floating" video. This allows a small video to be moved anywhere on the screen while doing other things. Helpful if you are watching a tutorial on how to do something, and trying to follow along.

But like you said, buy a second N7. You could get two 16GB models for the price of one Note 10.1.

djnshores

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site

You must be one of those rare individuals that can watch a movie and play a game at the same time. My idea of multitasking is visiting Facebook or Twitter while music is playing in the background. If I am playing a game my focus is on the game. The video becomes a distraction. There are apps that allow multitasking when it makes sense to do so. Just my $.02 worth.

Reactions: Androhead27

bawboh86

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

If it means anything to you, OP, I like to put on movies while playing handhelds. I think the main thing here is that when you are playing a game and a video on the same device, you will have sound conflicts between the two. It seems Google tried to prevent this by merely pausing the video when you leave the youtube app, just in case you're going to play more sound related apps. Not to mention, the video conflicts caused when playing two video intensive items on the same device.

I can understand where both sides are coming from, and unfortunately, I don't have a good answer for you to try besides what others have said about another N7. Maybe, if you have a smartphone, pull up a video on that, and play the game on your tablet?

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site

He meant have the audio still play while the app is minimized, so he could listen to music while playing a video game.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site

There are so many good apps for Android that allow you to do whatever you want to do. Not to get into an iOS vs. Android debate (because I like my iPad as well), but this will never be possible on iOS. I wish Google would start showing advertisements showcasing some of these good apps.

garry1bowie

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site

There are so many good apps for Android that allow you to do whatever you want to do. Not to get into an iOS vs. Android debate (because I like my iPad as well), but this will never be possible on iOS. I wish Google would start showing advertisements showcasing some of these good apps.

I agree. I'm a MASIVE Apple fan boy and this is my first ever Android OS/device I've had, and I can only say, and this pains me to say, but I'm loving it! ;)

retsaw

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
YouTube or internet video pauses when you switch tasks to avoid audio conflicts. Personally, I hope they change this to give it the functionality of a PC. However, I would add that multitasking on Jellybean is better by far than any other mobile OS.
That's not true. My N900 running Maemo 5 still has better multitasking than Jelly Bean, and the hardware is far inferior to what the Nexus 7 has. I've heard that WebOS also has good multitasking (but I've never used it).

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
That's not true. My N900 running Maemo 5 still has better multitasking than Jelly Bean, and the hardware is far inferior to what the Nexus 7 has. I've heard that WebOS also has good multitasking (but I've never used it).

Lol. Yeah. Enjoy multitasking the 5 or so apps that were ever made for it back in 2007. If the N900 tried to run modern apps, it would probably overheat the CPU and shut down. I was referring to mobile O.Ss that people actually use. You know, as in not museum pieces.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

retsaw

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
So, what, a "museum piece" can multi-task better than a more modern OS and you don't see this as a problem?

And for the record, it was released late 2009, and people (including me) do still use it.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
So, what, a "museum piece" can multi-task better than a more modern OS and you don't see this as a problem?

And for the record, it was released late 2009, and people (including me) do still use it.

It multitasks ancient software. It wouldn't multi-task modern software. And I happen to have owned one. I would say it's on par with Jellybean multitasking, certainly not better. Blackberrys multitask great too, but they multitask low powered apps.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Of course audio is a common thing we multitask on cell phones, tablets, and PCs. I play Pandora frequently no matter what else I'm doing

silverthornne

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
WebOS still shines on this aspect. I could launch an email while YouTube app was playing, hit a link from the email, copy something from the link, swipe to the email app and paste the text from the email Donna reply. Then I'd go back to the YouTube app and the video would continue, exactly where it had left off, no refreshing. I haven't had that experience with any Android device yet. On email apps, Android just creates drafts. That works but isn't as elegant. On YouTube it refreshes and starts over. This was on a device with 256 MB of RAM. As good as Android is, and I really like it, WebOS still wins...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
WebOS still shines on this aspect. I could launch an email while YouTube app was playing, hit a link from the email, copy something from the link, swipe to the email app and paste the text from the email Donna reply. Then I'd go back to the YouTube app and the video would continue, exactly where it had left off, no refreshing. I haven't had that experience with any Android device yet. On email apps, Android just creates drafts. That works but isn't as elegant. On YouTube it refreshes and starts over. This was on a device with 256 MB of RAM. As good as Android is, and I really like it, WebOS still wins...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I loved web OS. Unfortunatly, it's just as dead as the spider on my wall. Android is just 4.1 as good. However, some apps perform differently.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums