why should I buy a tablet

runer112

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Hello

I think this question was asked a dozen times before, but I thought why the hell not. So I have seen the Nexus 7 unveiled at Google I/O last month, and it was a very nice looking piece of technology.

Around the same time I had picked up a Galaxy S3.

My question is, why would I want to buy the Nexus 7/iPad/Any other tablet? What does it do that my phone doesn't already do? It already costs a lot of money around here, and if I want to spend that amount of money I would rather spend it on a new laptop with super capabilities.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
There's a big difference sitting on the couch doing things on your phone vs. a tablet. I know I don't need a tablet, yet I have 3. And that's because I just sold two. I love gadgets. Anyway, I read a post not too long ago and the poster said you need to find a way to make the table work for you. Everyone has different "needs". And I say "needs" because most of us here just love Android and/or technology and don't really need a tablet.

So if you have some $$ to burn, pick up a N7. If you don't like it, return it. I think once you start using it though you'll want to keep it.

bunnymoira

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I read and play games a lot on my phone. It hurts my eyes. My laptop is too heavy to hold as a book. I like tablet just for its size and convenience. I recently spend days in library for some research. I used my nexus 7 to write short notes. Since it is small enough to be carried around so I don't have to ask other people to watch it for me while I go to bathroom, I just take it with me. It depends what and where you need to use a tablet or a laptop.

Reactions: PrissyPJ

runer112

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
I read and play games a lot on my phone. It hurts my eyes. My laptop is too heavy to hold as a book. I like tablet just for its size and convenience. I recently spend days in library for some research. I used my nexus 7 to write short notes. Since it is small enough to be carried around so I don't have to ask other people to watch it for me while I go to bathroom, I just take it with me. It depends what and where you need to use a tablet or a laptop.

Other than that point, I don't see a reason why a tablet would do something my phone isn't already capable of doing and doing better. And personally I still haven't gotten used to reading ebooks, I am the type who whenever the urge of reading hits me I would like to grab a printed book and reading it physically.

That varies with different people of course.

Also, I love new gadgets and new technology, I really do, but I don't work (I am yet to start college next year) so I don't particularly have any disposable income to allow me to buy a tablet (They are pretty damn expensive here).

I would like to hear more opinions if possible.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Other than that point, I don't see a reason why a tablet would do something my phone isn't already capable of doing and doing better. And personally I still haven't gotten used to reading ebooks, I am the type who whenever the urge of reading hits me I would like to grab a printed book and reading it physically.

That varies with different people of course.

Also, I love new gadgets and new technology, I really do, but I don't work (I am yet to start college next year) so I don't particularly have any disposable income to allow me to buy a tablet (They are pretty damn expensive here).

I would like to hear more opinions if possible.

I don't see how more options will help at this point. You don't like eBooks (me either, I prefer a printed book too), and your phone allows you to do everything else you want. Add to that the fact that you can't spend money on a tablet right now and I think you have your answer.

Maybe you can find a use for it in college, such as taking notes or voice recording/dictation. That would justify a purchase. But it sounds like a tablet just wouldn't be your thing.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I had the same dilemma - I had a Razr, why get a tablet? There are a number of things that the tablet does better, but the #1 thing that I find more useful on the tablet is remote desktop. I own a business doing website & computer repair, and from time to time need to get a file or look something up on my desktop at my office while I'm out on site. I can do that with my phone, but the resolution and screen size are much more restricting than on the tablet. It's the difference between being able to technically do something vs easily doing something.

The other thing that it does well for me is to be able to quickly & easily show someone a website or image at a pleasant size. Again, I could do this with my phone, but it's a tiny & unimpressive image to be showing a customer.

Honestly, it sounds like you don't need one, and don't have the extra funds to get one "just because", so don't get one. For many people, tablets are a fad like netbooks were, and in a year or so we'll see a glut of abused & discarded tablets that people discovered just didn't meet their actual needs. They're not going to do many things that full size computers & laptops do, and they're not as handy to carry with you as smartphones are. They're in an in-between place that serves certain needs that not everyone has.

runer112

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't see how more options will help at this point. You don't like eBooks (me either, I prefer a printed book too), and your phone allows you to do everything else you want. Add to that the fact that you can't spend money on a tablet right now and I think you have your answer.

Maybe you can find a use for it in college, such as taking notes or voice recording/dictation. That would justify a purchase. But it sounds like a tablet just wouldn't be your thing.

Hmm, good point. I will see what the situation ends being in college, but considering I am registered for Computer Science I think it's ironic that if I am going to be spending money on a new gadget (Toy) it won't be a tablet :p.

rich.x87

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I use mine for my job. I visit clients, and often I have to bring 3D renders of products in design process, and the best way to show them is in the tablet.
I bring printed plans, but 3D renders is what usually closes the deal.
Aside of that, I use Evernote to keep track of all my meetings and clients. So during every meeting I write down in a little notebook all things I consider important. Later, I put them into Evernote with follow up to-dos in my tablet (usually I ride cabs so I use this time to input the data).

While in my house, I use it to read books, news, rss and even YouTube. I have reduced my laptop usage because it is just more confortable carrying the tablet around. Hell, I use it even when I go to the bathroom.

If you are going to study computer science, then you will need a tablet eventually.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Android Central Forums

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Tablets are great for gaming.

A 10.1" screen will always be ??? a phone screen.

Some even bother with those 7" tabs, go straight to a 10.1" tablet and really enjoy it

I wouldn't do e reading in a tablet though, LCD screens are not the best on the eyes when reading large amounts of text.

Stick with an e-ink reader like the kindle for actual book reading. Reading on those are incredible and just like reading off of a piece of paper

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

djnshores

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
If you have to ask, you shouldn't buy one.

I didn't buy my Nexus7 to use as a smart phone replacement. It is a Wi-Fi only device at this point. Cell phone carriers have had tablets on their plans for years but sales have been dismal.

The Nexus is an entertainment device, at least that is what I use it for.

So, "if you have to ask, you shouldn't buy one" is good advice.

steddora

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
I must come in... I asked myself this question a million times. Why do I want our need a tablet.. I have my phone, my laptop, and my desktop. A PlayStation and even an app ridden television... I saw this thing drop and said to myself, quad core, nice screen, and not a giant iPad.. $200?!?!?!?! I finally decided to grab it up. Since that day, I haven't put it down. Yeah, it's extremely similar to my phone... but the screen is bigger and nicer. It's such as good web browser, and imo instant messenger on here.. laptop officially made the for sale bin. Lol. I would not trade this thing for the world now that I have it. And tethering with my phone on the go, I can take it almost anywhere.

I say try one out and get addicted like I did. You won't regret it if you don't already have a tablet.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

korky99_04

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm on the go so much, and as I work in the entertainment industry, so I never really know where I'll be going or what is next. But the things I can be sure of are:

1 when I get on Site, I will have forgotten some important piece of paper work that I need.
2 I will randomly have 4 hours to kill.
3 For one reason or another, pulling out my laptop won't be possible. Be it due to not having desk space for it, not being able to plug it into the wall, or even just because I might have to get up and walk away for a while at any minute. I can just say, hang on while I coil up my laptop case.

For me it was a no brainer. I was spending so much time on my phone (evo 3d), and frankly hurting my eyes using that smaller screen, that a 7 inch tablet is perfect. If you are a male, like me, it will likely even fit in your pocket. And while at $200 it isn't exactly a disposable device, I'm sure less afraid of losing it than I am my $1200 17" laptop.

I agree with above, there is no reason to look for an excuse to buy one. If you can't easily come up with a reason, then save your money.

And it sure had been interesting watching myself regarding which device I'm grabbing my tablet instead of. It has replaced more laptop tasks than I expected.

runer112

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't have a laptop (only a desktop) so using something on the go in any place isn't usual unless its being done on my phone. I am pretty sure if the Nexus 7 is available in my country .. it won't be available for $200 ... I still don't enjoy the web browsing experience on a y device that isnt my PC: It's slower and not as quick as I would like it to be.

Thanks for everyone who answered, I do truly appreciate it, since this question has been on mind for a while now. I think I will save my money for a Laptop though, and who knows ... Maybe in a year or two there will be an android tablet that is actually worth the money for those who aren't early adopters such as myself.

rom1966

May 6, 2011
Visit site
Since getting a tablet my laptop has strictly become a work tool. There are 6 computers in house and my floating laptop . I get irritated if I have to rely on one over the tablet. 7 inches is the perfect size for around the house portability. For me anything larger would be too much and I'd go back to the laptop. If I didn't have to deal with carriers delaying software updates, I'd go for something with 4G. Other than being offline when I don't want to be, I couldn't be happier with the decision to get one.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: PrissyPJ

slag02

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Kief Halek

As college student with Limited income a tablet isn't required nor prudent.
I too was in a similar situation but recently picked up a Nexus 7 before doing some work travel.
I used it on the plane and on the go and it was the perfect size to fit in the cargo pants pocket that I could unzip and pull it out - much quicker and more convenient than a laptop.

Get a Nexus 7 for cheap in year and it will still be decent.

Mabruk on the GS3 - you'll get by fine with that

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38