How do I install a custom notification tone?

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I want to use a different tone for my default notification, so I copied one of the tones I use on my Galaxy Nexus to the tablet. I put the tone in the Notifications folder just like it is on my GN, but when I select notifications from the settings menu the new tone does not appear in the list.

Does anyone know where the tones are stored on the Nexus 7 tablet?

kcalmol

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
I exported from Dropbox to my notifications folder and the mp3 showed up when I went to change my email alert tone. I am not rooted.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I exported from Dropbox to my notifications folder and the mp3 showed up when I went to change my email alert tone. I am not rooted.

Hmmm, maybe the app you used to get from Dropbox to the device has a work around. Good to know it's possible.

kcalmol

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Only used the Dropbox app. Long-pressed the file, chose export, selected "sd card," and then the notifications folder. Hope you can get it to work.

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. I suspect the stock notifications on the GN are also in system yet when I browse them in settings the phone lists my custom notifications along with stock. This seems like a problem in JB because I should be able to select a custom tone from the list just like I can from my phone that is running ICS.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

mkiker2089

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
ES File Explorer will do it without root as well. It can be n any folder, just select it with a long tap and an option to make it a notification sound comes up.

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Problem solved. Instead of copying the tone into notifications I copied it into the ringtones folder. Once I moved it to the notifications folder the tone shows up in the default notifications settings. I guess I was having an idiot day.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kinmo