gr8smoke

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
I recently received a N7.

I don?t have a smart phone so this is my first foray into a touch screen device.

I am wondering if in the process of playing with the N7, I messed up the GPS settings.

When I am away from a wifi signal and I click the ?Map App?, it will continuously stay in ?loading mode?. I don?t have this problem when a wifi signal is available.

Thanks in advance for anyone who has a suggestion

Dhendy91

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
This is normal as the maps are loaded from the internet as you look at them. So no internet connection = no maps. There is an option in the new maps to make some of them available offline though.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: gr8smoke

gr8smoke

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply

but I do remember when I was first got the N7 that while my son was driving, I was able to to look at the maps and at the same time see where we were on the map. My N7 is no longer doing that.

I had cached a map of our local area and thought I maybe had screwed something up in the process

STC09

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
You may have emptied the cache by restarting, but it will work if you refresh on a network and don't wipe it while traveling. It's okay to let the screen sleep.

If you specifically saved maps offline, they shouldn't have been affected except by deliberate action, I think. Did you check for them in the settings or layers?

Bryan_

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
From what I've experienced and read of others experiences, the GPS will only work natively in Maps if you start it when you're on a WiFi connection. However if you want to look something up when you're away from a WiFi connection you'll need to explore the different GPS maps in the Play store. They store maps to memory that can be accessed by the GPS wherever you are.

gr8smoke

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
STC09 I did specifically save the maps to my cache. I don't know how to check in settings to see specifically if the map is there but settings does show I have about 61mb in my cache for the map app

Bryan_

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
It's actually the Navigation app. It should be on your suite of google apps on your home screen bar with the blue triangle shape.

beck79

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
You should probably leave both WIFI and Location (Settings->Location Services->GPS Satellites) ON even while in the car. I think Google Maps need the WIFI to be ON for whatever reason.

kenyee

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
If you want to do this the right way, look at the apps that are for offline navigation: Sygic, NDrive, Copilot, NavFree, etc...they store all the map data locally which is why they work better.

You'll get a mediocre experience at best w/ google maps if you need to reroute mid-trip...

credo

May 1, 2010
Visit site
If you want to do this the right way, look at the apps that are for offline navigation: Sygic, NDrive, Copilot, NavFree, etc...they store all the map data locally which is why they work better.

You'll get a mediocre experience at best w/ google maps if you need to reroute mid-trip...

I second that for Sygic. I have been using it for a week know and it is great. No connection needed. The GPS works better than my Nexus phone.