How does Navigation work w/o wireless connection

newtabletuser

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I was out of town yesterday, and while Google Maps showed my location on a map, I could not use Layers to display where restaurants and gas stations were in the area. I thought the GPS would bring up such information and that I wouldn't need a wireless connection when on the road. I either get a message that wifi must be turned on or the application keeps searching.

I checked the tablet manual and, as far as I could find, this issue wasn't addressed so could use some help about how this stuff works (I'm a new tablet user and have never used a GPS device either).

Thank you.

grooks

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I haven't tried it yet but you may need to download the map of the city you are in for offline use. I suspect this will also download all Points-of-Interest.

Hoping real-time traffic information also works when using a map in offline mode.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I haven't tried it yet but you may need to download the map of the city you are in for offline use. I suspect this will also download all Points-of-Interest.

Hoping real-time traffic information also works when using a map in offline mode.

Real time traffic won't work in offline mode. It's called real time so you get a report of traffic at that time. If you are offline, there's no way of getting traffic information.

newtabletuser

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Real time traffic won't work in offline mode. It's called real time so you get a report of traffic at that time. If you are offline, there's no way of getting traffic information.

So you can't get information about local gas stations and restaurants either? The only thing GPS will do is show your location?

btw, how do you delete location and similar histories. My grandson asked Google Now how far it was to the moon, and now I'm getting a message that I've only driven 15 miles to it and have only about 28K miles more. lol

bjadams44

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
The navigation is really crippled unless you have wifi. First, it will not work at all unless you enter the destination and start it off while wifi is available. This will work unless you deviate from the route, at which point it will not be able to re-route you. So the answer seems to be that one should either have a wifi tether or hot spot or use a third party navigation app. I just downloaded Route 66 which I'm trying out but there are several paid and free nav apps available.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
So you can't get information about local gas stations and restaurants either? The only thing GPS will do is show your location?

btw, how do you delete location and similar histories. My grandson asked Google Now how far it was to the moon, and now I'm getting a message that I've only driven 15 miles to it and have only about 28K miles more. lol

I haven't tried to get local info, but I would guess it wouldn't be available either. Simply because it would do a search, and with no connection it won't be able to. You'll just get maps in offline mode, and only for the area you downloaded. It may show POI's, but you won't have any info on them.

lol about the miles to the moon. To clear the location history: go to Settings --> Apps --> Maps -->. Then press on Clear Data.

jjhoneck

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
The navigation is really crippled unless you have wifi. First, it will not work at all unless you enter the destination and start it off while wifi is available. This will work unless you deviate from the route, at which point it will not be able to re-route you. So the answer seems to be that one should either have a wifi tether or hot spot or use a third party navigation app. I just downloaded Route 66 which I'm trying out but there are several paid and free nav apps available.

I downloaded an app called CoPilot GPS that stores everything on board the N7. No WiFi needed, and you can try the free version before you buy.

It has worked flawlessly for a month, now. Highly recommended! I've got the paid version now, that gives you a lovely 3D view similar to Garmin's.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

newtabletuser

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
lol about the miles to the moon. To clear the location history: go to Settings --> Apps --> Maps -->. Then press on Clear Data.

Thank you!

Maps isn't listed in Settings, at least on my device. Neither are Navigation or Local.

I opened Maps and discovered that you can do it from the drop down menu at the right-top > settings (in the same area as you can Make Available Offline, Layers, etc.)

As difficult as learning how to use these tablets and apps, it's been fascinating at the same time. I did, however, feel a little creepy when I watched the movement of our car on a map, even when we did a U-Turn. I'm still trying to determine if I'm losing every bit or my privacy, or if the benefits outweigh those concerns.