Received 7 defective Nexus 7's and Google is now refusing RMA's

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Re: Received 7 defective Nexus 7's and Google is now refusing RMA

it is hard to know what people are experiencing but someone may be experiencing this when they say light bleed but they should not return it? it is just in their head?

http://cdn.pocketnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Nexus7Backlight.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7

If mine looked that bad in person, I'd absolutely return it as well. That's horrible.

However, I will point out that the photo looks like a fairly long exposure shot with a bright screen under darkened room conditions to demonstrate where the light sources are. Having said that, if it appears that way when looking at it with your own two eyeballs in any light at any "normal" screen brightness, that there's a defect. Mine looks absolutely nothing like that - there are slight variances in the light levels consistent with every other LED-backlit unit I've ever owned.

And, actually, in that case it looks like a defective unit because I believe the light sources are supposed to be on both sides of the screen and a couple at the top and bottom for proper light diffusion. But I may be wrong at that.

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site

if there was nothing wrong with his tablet then Google is suppose to charge him for it and in guess send it back. that is what warranty says doesn't it?
Sent from my Nexus 7

You only get charged if there is nothing wrong with it and you are returning it for a refund. Then it's just a restocking fee.

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site

it is hard to know what people are experiencing but someone may be experiencing this when they say light bleed but they should not return it? it is just in their head?

http://cdn.pocketnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Nexus7Backlight.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7

That severe level of backlight bleeding is extremely rare. I've had many tablets from many manufactures and I've never even encountered anything like that. Obviously that is a good example of something that has to be exchanged. I highly doubt all 7 of his tablets had defects that bad though.

PS. And from the picture, that almost looks like a situation some have mentioned where a screw being too tight is causing back light bleeding. That bleeding looks like it is happening about where all four of those left side screws are. It's possible that could be corrected by loosening the screws if one was so inclined to try it.

Last edited:

Dubbayoo

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
the only thing I have to complain about is the lack of external storage, which I knew full well before I bought it. I love my device.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Bryan_

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
OP posted the same thread looking for attention at XDA-Developers forum. Pics or it didn't happen and you're trolling.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

mikegoldnj

May 25, 2010
Visit site

Most normal people would make the decision to move on to another device after 2 or 3 return attempts failed to provide satisfaction.

Go ahead and report to the BBB, they will laugh at you.

Mco119

May 24, 2012
Visit site

Run a screen test on black at full brightness. If you see any white or yellow around the edges, that's light bleed. You should not be able to determine the light source behind the LCD panel. That is a defect.

Sigh..no, that does not necessarily mean your device has back light bleed. In fact, you are dead wrong, and clearly don't understand LCD technology. I gave thought to explaining this for about the 30th, but I'm not going to. It's obviously not doing any good.

Please, people, learn about the stuff you're posting about before you hit "submit."

darthmemnoch

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
Are C60 and C80 series really part of the serial #? I ordered 7/10 received it 7/15 and my serial # doesn't have a c in it at all.
I'm a little nervous because I've had a perfect unit but the speakers blew already. I started an rma last might and just read all this today.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Are C60 and C80 series really part of the serial #? I ordered 7/10 received it 7/15 and my serial # doesn't have a c in it at all.
I'm a little nervous because I've had a perfect unit but the speakers blew already. I started an rma last might and just read all this today.

Check the box, the white label, the ssn.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

darthmemnoch

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
Got it. Mine was C60K. That wasn't the serial number the Google rep asked for though, that's why I was confused.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

I purchased 2 Nexus 7's, one for myself and one for my father. My father's tablet has screen separation and he is afraid to exchange it. My tablet had a chipped bezel. I exchanged the tablet for a string of 6 defective Nexus 7's all with light bleed and dead pixels. Today, I called to process my RMA and the supervisor Cameron, told me that they will not process any more RMAs on my account and to please mail back my units.

I just want to inform anybody who is in the RMA process that Google will pull this move on you. I have been nothing but courteous to the reps, I have been patient with the RMA process and Google has written me off as a customer. I am sure some people are satisfied with their Nexus 7's, however that is not the point of my post. It is to inform potential customers of the systemic quality issues plaguing this product and Google's unwillingness to rectify the issue.

BBB complaint to follow. Also, everybody please visit Google Co-Founder Sergey Brin's Google+ page and send him an email detailing your experience with your Nexus 7:

https://plus.google.com/109813896768294978296/posts

that seems like an eminently WISE decision on the part of Google. I commend them for knowing when to quit. Try another brand of tablet, perhaps?? good luck...

Reactions: KitN

truthteller10

Banned
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site

LMAO..I don't even have a Nexus 7 but come on dude .."LIGHT BLEED"?????? and then you have to do all kinds of test just to discover said "LIGHT BLEED" ???? If I was any company you'd be written off. Geez!

Reactions: KitN

anakin_sw

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site

But, you're not any company. Thanks for your hypothetical.

Edited by moderator.

LMAO..I don't even have a Nexus 7 but come on dude .."LIGHT BLEED"?????? and then you have to do all kinds of test just to discover said "LIGHT BLEED" ???? If I was any company you'd be written off. Geez!

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 31, 2012
Visit site

Run a screen test on black at full brightness. If you see any white or yellow around the edges, that's light bleed. You should not be able to determine the light source behind the LCD panel. That is a defect.

All lcd screens have light bleed

angryweb

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site

You're better off just returning it and buying it in a few months from a retail outlet. The problem should be fixed and they should be pretty easy to get in stores. Most early adopters have to deal with QA issues.

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

Edited by moderator.

Okay then, I do have a company and I would do what I call fire the customer and drop you like a bad habit. It's a win win, I don't have to loose anymore money on you and my competition can start loosing.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

SuperJonCA

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site

Edited by moderator.

Everyone stop responding to this little kid. Obviously somebody is still on summer break with too much time on their hands. Where are the mods when you need them? Cory!?!

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Everyone stop responding to this little kid. Obviously somebody is still on summer break with too much time on their hands. Where are the mods when you need them? Cory!?!

We have to sleep too. :)

Consider this a warning shot, folks--no personal insults, no attacking each other, etc. None of that will be tolerated in this or any other thread about the Nexus 7's build quality, defects, supposed defects, or any other conceivable topic. We're here to discuss Android and to be a community of support. That does not include acting with extreme amounts of petulance and immaturity.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power