Google still hasn't fixed WPA Enterprise

greatgoogly

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Google's failure to address the problems of the Nexus 7 (and all Jelly Bean devices) connecting to WPA Enterprise networks is very frustrating. The lack of communication regarding the issue and the timetable for a fix shows an arrogance that seems to be permeating Google. Sure if you only plan on using the Nexus 7 at the coffee shop or at home it doesn't matter, but if you are planning on using at many Universities, large businesses, or other institutions at this point you are SOL. Even the Kindle now supports WPA Enterprise, so this is really a black eye for Google, especially as more devices are upgraded to Jellybean. They've know about this issue for at almost 2 months and their folks that take the support calls seem completely clueless, unable to even differentiate between WPA and WPA Enterprise. Issue 34212 - android - On Jelly Bean, failed to connect to WPA enterprise wireless - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting :mad:

smitjeh

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
I use my Nexus at work and it connects to a WPA enterprise wireless network just fine.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

greatgoogly

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Google obviously changed something. My HTC Sensation running 4.0.3 works fine on the same wireless network. Lots of reports on the link I put in the OP of folks with devices that work fine on ICS, but after they upgrade to Jellybean they can't connect so I don't think it's just me.

berrydroidapple

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Google's failure to address the problems of the Nexus 7 (and all Jelly Bean devices) connecting to WPA Enterprise networks is very frustrating. The lack of communication regarding the issue and the timetable for a fix shows an arrogance that seems to be permeating Google. Sure if you only plan on using the Nexus 7 at the coffee shop or at home it doesn't matter, but if you are planning on using at many Universities, large businesses, or other institutions at this point you are SOL. Even the Kindle now supports WPA Enterprise, so this is really a black eye for Google, especially as more devices are upgraded to Jellybean. They've know about this issue for at almost 2 months and their folks that take the support calls seem completely clueless, unable to even differentiate between WPA and WPA Enterprise. Issue 34212 - android - On Jelly Bean, failed to connect to WPA enterprise wireless - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting :mad:

I find it interesting when individuals become so upset and frustrated when their issues are not immediately addressed by a developer or company.

Does anyone ever think about the thousands of issues that a company faces on a daily basis? Which issue should have priority and pushed ahead of others? Will someone else not also became frustrated when they're pushed to the side?

Up until a month or so ago you never even thought about this issue, give them time my dear friend, and I'm sure they'll get you straightened out.

Please understand I'm saying this with a big smile and hoping your issue is resolved quickly.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

greatgoogly

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
I find it interesting when individuals become so upset and frustrated when their issues are not immediately addressed by a developer or company.

Does anyone ever think about the thousands of issues that a company faces on a daily basis? Which issue should have priority and pushed ahead of others? Will someone else not also became frustrated when they're pushed to the side?

Up until a month or so ago you never even thought about this issue, give them time my dear friend, and I'm sure they'll get you straightened out.

Please understand I'm saying this with a big smile and hoping your issue is resolved quickly.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
I find I have to respectively disagree with you. This bug is something that should have been fixed before launch, and it is a bug that potentially will hurt Google. If they hope to make inroads against Apple which rules the tablet market and especially the tablet market at Universities releasing a product that doesn't work in these environments, especially the first device of it's type gives Google a real black eye. The bug has been out there for almost 2 months and their has been no formal communication from Google regarding the issue.
A second issue I have is that Google is not even communicating about the issue. A simple statement on their support page saying something along the lines of "we are aware of problems with the Nexus 7 and other JellyBean devices connecting to some WPA Enterprise networks and are actively working on a solution. We expect to be able to have this solution available by <fill in a date>" would be satisfactory. Unfortunately there is no communication on the webpage or via Google's telephone support. My major problem isn't that there is a bug, they happen. My primary issue is the lack of communication and lack of a window for when the bug will be fixed!

jojesa

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I agree infallibly with your statement mr. greatgoogly. At our college institution (45000+ students per year ) the IT department is recommending users (students and staff) to stay away from Android devices since they will not be able to join the Enterprise WPA & WPA2 networks.
Google and other manufactures (e.g. Asus & Samsung) should not have allowed the release of a system update (4.1.1) that will negatively interfere with one of the main features of smart devices (phones & tablets). We are referring to a major bug which is affecting millions of users, since many schools, colleges, universities and workplaces rely on Enterprise Wi-Fi.
Google and Samsung support staff appeared oblivious to the issue and had no idea what I was talking about. I have not contact Asus just yet but I plan to.
The issue could be fixed by sending and update that will replace the current wpa_supplicant file.
If you search in some Android communities you will find that the issue was fixed by changing a couple of lines of code (but it requires rooting devices).
I think Google has a lot more resources than these Android communities and could have fixed the issue if they wanted and care a bit more about their customers.
I am recommending Android users that connect to Enterprise Wi-Fi not to upgrade their devices to JB 4.1.1 until Google decides to bless us with a fix.

Last edited:

Rockbeast

Feb 13, 2012
Visit site
Although I am still searching the forums, has this been fixed by Google? I just started using a Samsung Galaxy S3 on Verizon, and I am not able to connect to my office WPA network. I am not rooted...though I do have a great love of trees...and shrubbery.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Although I am still searching the forums, has this been fixed by Google? I just started using a Samsung Galaxy S3 on Verizon, and I am not able to connect to my office WPA network. I am not rooted...though I do have a great love of trees...and shrubbery.
yes, in 4.2.1

Rockbeast

Feb 13, 2012
Visit site
I've been trying to get an idea of when Verizon might release an update to 4.1.1 that might fix this WPA Enterprise issue affecting my wifi connectivity. I'm having no luck. Has anyone else heard anything?

macEodhaidh

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
There could be a very good reason that Google's software engineers haven't fixed the WPA Enterprise error, they don't know how to fix it. But someone has, Wifi Configuration Editor Pro (with Enterprise) from OddRain (only ?0.70), install it and it works.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois