1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Internet connection

I just bought a Nexus 7 tablet. I have a wired internet connection at home and I don't want to change router to wireless. Whats the easiest way to connect my Nexus 7 to the internet at home? I have been looking at a lot of things but I don't know what to look for. Neewer 150M mini pocket wireless router 802.11b/g/n ? Someone at work said that I could also hook a wireless router into the wired one. This has to be really simple, I am not understanding anything. Any ideas at all will be appreciated. Thanks.

Don't you have an wireless router, just a wired modem?

Global Posts
    189 Global Posts

Default Re: Internet connection

A lot of wireless routers also have 4 ports in the back for wired LAN, if you wanted to purchase a new wireless router you'd probably have the best of both worlds.

You can hook a wireless router to the one you have, you first need to hook directly to that wireless router and turn off it's DHCP to prevent it from also trying to assign IP numbers to your devices. Then you can connect the two routers, LAN to LAN, via an ethernet cable and you'll have wireless. Of course make sure you password protect your wireless signal.

Or just use wired internet plugged into your Nexus 7 thanks to the adapter that is found here : http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html...idcentral00-20

If your computer is running Windows 7 and has a suitable wireless card you can use Connectify which is a software program which uses your computer wireless to generate a hot spot wireless signal. Downoad Connectify lite (free) to try it out. Just google connectify to find the site.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

I have a ZyXEL-010C4C which is a travel router connected to my Surf Board modem on Comcast. When my Netgear router lost its settings during a storm three months ago I started using the ZyXEL and it has done so well that I haven't gotten around to setting up the Netgear again yet. The ZyXEL actually is operating two laptops one of which is generating the Connectify signal I am operating with. Since I am forty feet away with two walls interfering the signal is not great but still good enough to get on the forum. I got the ZyXEL from Amazon and also have a Neewer but haven't tried that yet.

man u are missing out so many many things... why dont you buy a wireless router. yes, you can buy a wireless router and hook it up to your wired router like the person someone at work said.

so on your wired router there will be a cable which you will plug in to your computer right? just plug that in to your newly purchased wireless router. that it. it becomes your wireless router.

to use internet on nexus 7 just enable wifi(which is wireless enabling) you will see your wireless router on your nexus 7. just click connect and internet is on your tablet without wires.

Global Posts
    979 Global Posts

If you have a wired router now, you could replace it with a router that is both wired and wireless.

It could be beneficial in the sense that you could connect multiple devices to a wireless router, not just a phone. For instance, I have my router set up for basic internet and networking. I have two ethernet cables for my TV in my office (smart TV) and my networked storage. On wireless, I connect my phone, my wife's phone, my XBox, ourhome entertainment center in the front room, a PC in the front room, my laptop, my wife's laptop, my tablet and anything else that I need to connect.

Note2 or Note10, that is the question

Global Posts
    432 Global Posts

Just go wireless and be done with it.
    Thanked by:
    KitN 

OP: Obviously from the posts there are several approaches to providing a home setup which provides both wired and wireless connections. Maybe by this time you have solved your problem. If not providing more detailed info on what equipment you have now such as service,modem,router and equipment currently hooked up would get you better help and advice. Where you want to use your wireless equipment is also a factor since walls and distance cause drop in signal strength. As for me I prefer wireless and a Nexus7 is fun to use because you can carry it with you. If you do get the Neewer let us know how it works out.

Check and see if one of your neighbors has an open WiFi and just borrow the signal.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using the neighbor's signal.

Global Posts
    524 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbin1 View Post
    Just go wireless and be done with it.
    +1

Join the 21st century, please. Your life will be a heck of a lot easier. A wireless router costs peanuts nowadays. Get at it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    524 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by flacousa View Post
    Check and see if one of your neighbors has an open WiFi and just borrow the signal.

In a bunch of places this is actually ILLEGAL, yes, illegal to use anyone's open network without consent. So watch it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    414 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by flacousa View Post

Yeah...this is illegal to do in the US. You should NOT be telling people to do this.

You can be fined pretty heavily or put in jail for stealing someone's connection depending on what you are using that connection for.

Considering this is what a lot of pedophiles do to "not get caught", the police are REALLY against this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuuie View Post
    Yeah...this is illegal to do in the US. You should NOT be telling people to do this.
    So is jaywalking

If I tell you to jump of a bridge will you do it?

Sent from my Nexus 7 borrowing my neighbor's signal
    Last edited by flacousa; 10-21-2012 at 12:44 PM.

Angry Re: Internet connection

I read this thread looking for a backup solution. I am a freelance writer and I have clients all over the world. I live in thunderstorm alley in Gatineau, Qc. Canada. So we are subject to frequent power outages and sometimes long one (the great ice storm of 96 took out my power for two weeks. When my power goes out I need to be able to continue to work. So I am planning to get a tablet (my tablet PC is old and my son will get that). However, wireless does not work without power, and it takes power from the tablet too. My modem keep running without power, and I could just plug into it or use the dead router like a hub (Maybe), but I am not sure what the available adapters can do.
    Thanks up front.
    Karena

Quote Originally Posted by andkarena View Post
    I read this thread looking for a backup solution. I am a freelance writer and I have clients all over the world. I live in thunderstorm alley in Gatineau, Qc. Canada. So we are subject to frequent power outages and sometimes long one (the great ice storm of 96 took out my power for two weeks. When my power goes out I need to be able to continue to work. So I am planning to get a tablet (my tablet PC is old and my son will get that). However, wireless does not work without power, and it takes power from the tablet too. My modem keep running without power, and I could just plug into it or use the dead router like a hub (Maybe), but I am not sure what the available adapters can do.
    Thanks up front.
    Karena
    I just purchased a MiFi device from Verizon. (If I had waited for the newest N7-2 I might not have.) Anyways, this is a portable hot-spot that uses mobile data to make a wireless hot spot. In my case I have 3 Verizon devices. Wife has Droid Incredible 2, I have Samsung GS3, and I added the MiFi or JetPack. I have a 4GB data plan and with the MiFi I can connect up to 10 devices. I use it for my original N7 primarily. The package states it will last about 8 hours on a full charge.

To summarize, a secondary hot-spot like a portable MiFi might help you work an extra 8 hours via wireless. Hope I explained it correctly.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2