Do you use NFC? Would you trade?

Jussumguy88

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
I was just reading an article saying that the iphone 5 won't have nfc available on it. That got me to thinking, I know the nexus 7 has nfc but I never ever use it. I was wondering how many of you guys and girls out there actually use NFC on your nexus 7s. And I also wanted to ask... Would u trade NFC, for expandable memory.. Or some other feature..? If so, what? Just throwing questions that I think might make for an interesting discussion.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Aguaski

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I have both a Nexus 7 and a Galaxy Nexus. I have never used NFC on either device. It sounds like cool technology but I never remember to use it. Mostly in the habit of reaching for my wallet. If I do start remembering to use it, I an more likely to use my phone than my tablet. The N7 is portable, but not add portable as my phone. That said, I really wanted expandable memory when I first got my Galaxy Nexus, but now I have realized that I don't need, it and I am really enjoying not having to hassle with managing a separate set of memory. From now on I plan to buy devices that have sufficient on board memory and bypass devices for which I feel that I need to add more memory.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

DIPNINANOUT

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
To be completely honest I want to use it but I think I'm not doing it properly or there just aren't enough devices that support this technology. Also if it was up to me I rathet have updated technology like a snap dragon or tegra processor.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

ManBearPig618

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
To be completely honest I want to use it but I think I'm not doing it properly or there just aren't enough devices that support this technology. Also if it was up to me I rathet have updated technology like a snap dragon or tegra processor.

But.....

silverthornne

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
I've used NFC from time to time, mostly to show it off to my buddies and on odd occassions to transfer a YouTube link from my phone to my tablet.

Anyway, there haven't been many times when I've thought NFC was a groundbreaking or necessary feature but I think it's just that no one has come out with a killer use for it yet.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I've had NFC for a while, starting with my Blackberry 9930. It seems like a solution looking for a problem. No one seems all that anxious to develop for it.

dextorboot

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I'd trade it for just about anything else. Expandable storage, more internal storage, gorilla glass, a foldable Bluetooth keyboard, a stylus, a nice pair of Bluetooth headphones, a lower price...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Run L1ke H3LL

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
I would not trade it for expandable memory. Why? I have plenty of on board space with the 16gb drive and gigs and gigs of cloud storage using google music dropbox box and google drive.

Second, NFC will be the technology of the future; it is just too time saving for it not to catch on.
Finally, unlike those in this thread I use NFC multiple times daily, and I don't even have a Google Wallet account. I use it to establish a bluetooth connection to my home stereo when I get home and I use it to change profiles when getting in and out of the car and also when going to bed. It's very very useful once you get in the habit of using it.

bawboh86

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I have used it with other people with NFC to transfer information (usually cool apps that I've found). I've also used it with my phones to transfer links to and from my N7. I don't use my N7 to pay for stuff, and my One X has no apps that allow me to use it at the cash register, yet (come on Isis or a working Google Wallet for stock users). When I had my Galaxy Nexus, I would use it if I remembered to put money in my temp card, but WAAAY back then, they didn't have card support for my credit cards, so I usually didn't bother with it.

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I played with NFC between my Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 7, but other than that one time, I've not used NFC since.

With my Galaxy Nexus, I have a fear of pulling out my phone to make an NFC payment and it not working and I end up looking like some while customers behind me watch.

I don't blame Apple for skipping it on the next phone, I think NFC is still quite a ways off from being practical.

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I use it a lot with Google wallet. I'm at a place that supports it I use it. Easier than taking out you wallet.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

ThatTechHead

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
I have it on my lg optimus elite, I think I'm going to buy some nfc tags for profiles on my phone. I want a keychain one to put on my backpack and switch to school wifi and reduce brightness then switch back. Payments are useless because I don't have a credit card yet. I think my phone is one of the only gingerbread phones with nfc unless you've got a nexus s without the updates.

Sent from my LG-VM696 using Android Central Forums

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm talking my phone smart guy. If you read my post you'd know that

You made no mention of a phone, it was not obvious.

The other thing to keep in mind in this discussion is that the NFC chip is probably a few dollars, so trading it for something like a bluetooth keyboard or high-end hardware is apples & oranges.

Ftspyder

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Ive never used NFC. I wouldnt be opposed to it, but I dont know where its accepted and what am i supposed to do walk into lets say walmart with my tablet just to make a payment? I see it as being more useful on a phone. As for expandable memory, i agree with one of the first commenters on this post, I try to buy phones with enough memory so i dont have to worry about all that.