1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default For those with screen flicker??

I've had my N7 going on 3 weeks now, and until 4 days ago everything was perfect. I am now infrequently but randomly getting a single line of flicker horizontal all the way across the screen about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom (it also does it in landscape in the same physical area). For any who warrantied their N7 for screen flicker was it like this, worse, or start like this and get worse?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Default Re: For those with screen flicker??

What % is your brightness at? I had flickering at anything under 30%, but at 30% or above it went away.

Quote Originally Posted by brad_wp View Post
    I've had my N7 going on 3 weeks now, and until 4 days ago everything was perfect. I am now infrequently but randomly getting a single line of flicker horizontal all the way across the screen about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom (it also does it in landscape in the same physical area). For any who warrantied their N7 for screen flicker was it like this, worse, or start like this and get worse?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
    Have you recently changed your brightness setting to Auto? Mine flickers at times but mostly when the auto setting is checked. The reason for this is probably due to the N7 adjusting its brightness level according to the various amounts of light in the room shinning on it. If there is more than one source of light in a room (sitting in a chair near a reading light with overhead room lights on as well) I've noticed as I move my N7 around while sitting the screen slightly flickers as it's adjusting to the different light levels in a room. I usually read while the TV is on and the only light on in the room is from a light stand next to the chair. As I move the N7 around on my lap (holding it up and then down, moving it right then left) the amount of direct light shifts in its intensity and it drives my N7 crazy and flickers as it's adjusting from one brightness level to another.

When I don't have it set to auto, I have noticed some flicker as well when the brightness level is set low, but when it's set near mid range and higher there is no flicker.

I guess you need to determine how significant of an issue this is (is it happening a lot and is the flicker very noticeable?). Also, you need to ask yourself how bad it's bothering you. If it's an infrequent occurrence and not very noticeable unless you're looking for it, then I'd just live with it. Maybe give it some more time and see if it gets worse (mine has not) and get a feel for how much it's really bothering you -- it may even fix itself after a little while.

The return process with Google Play is very simple and easy. Call them, tell them what's going on and that you want to get a replacement. They'll set it up and you'll get your new one in a couple days via UPS. They'll email a shipping label to print out and they give you 21 days to ship the old one back to them. They're very pleasant about doing it and you do get a brand-new unit -- not a refurb. Good luck!
    Last edited by Traveler5; 08-30-2012 at 02:46 PM.

Do you guys even read the original posts anymore? He's not talking about that flicker. This is a completely different issue. It sounds like he has a single line of fixels flickering.

Talking Re: For those with screen flicker??

Quote Originally Posted by ozzyag View Post
    Do you guys even read the original posts anymore? He's not talking about that flicker. This is a completely different issue. It sounds like he has a single line of fixels flickering.
    I have the same kind of flicker on my N7's display so I know what he's talking about. I read the post.

As a side note: If you think I was talking about a fluttering display but was calling it a flickering display instead, you misunderstood. Flickering and fluttering are two different things. I guess there's a chance his display is flittering -- sometimes called flippering. It also could be a bad case of falooppering or even the dreaded fellerduping. I know about those device display issues as well. Either way, his N7's display is partially malfunctioning whether it be permanently or temporarily. Personally, I think it's just flickering.
    Last edited by Traveler5; 08-30-2012 at 11:25 PM.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by ozzyag View Post
    I hardly see how one line of flickering means it's not helpful to ask what his brightness level is. The brightness might still impact this flickering issue.
    Droiderator

ROM
    Bugless Nexus

Mine does it once in a blue moon only on bright white backgrounds. Mostly when reading on Engadget app.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler5 View Post
    I have the same kind of flicker on my N7's display so I know what he's talking about. I read the post.

On a side note: If you think I was talking about a fluttering display but was calling it a flickering display instead, you misunderstood. Flickering and fluttering are two different things. I guess there's a chance his display is flittering -- sometimes called flippering. It also could be a bad case of falooppering or even the dreaded fellerduping. I know about those device display issues as well. Either way, his N7's display his partially malfunctioning whether it be permanently or temporarily. Personally, I think it's just flickering.
    Lol...

It is just a single line of pixels (maybe 2 wide, it doesn't last very long so it's hard to tell). It doesn't bother me as of now, and it doesn't seem to be increasing in frequency either. I haven't seen a real good description of the screen flicker that was causing folks to exchange theirs, so I was curious if their problems began like the one I'm experiencing.

My biggest concern right now is that I'm getting ready to go on a military deployment and won't be able to easily exchange if it gets unusable or too much to put up with.

Traveler5,

How long has your N7 been doing this, and has it gotten worse in frequency or size since it started?

Sent from my Nexus 7
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler5 View Post
    Have you recently changed your brightness setting to Auto?
    I've used it on auto since I got it. I have noticed what I would call a "quick cycle" of brightness settings as it polls the light sensor in changing light conditions and this seems normal to me.

Sent from my Nexus 7

For my first Nexus 7 with flicker (the brightness of the complete screen flicker when loading websites and maps, auto brightness off) I got 1 dead pixel 3 days later. I have been using my nexus 7 with the flashing lines for 2 weeks and not developed any dead pixels.

Flicker

Flashing lines or tearing (bad at 3:15)
    Thanked by:

I just had this happen for the first time after 1 week of ownership, it was also while using the Engadget app.

It happens occasionally on my N7 as well. Seems to be only noticeable when using a white background and in certain programs. Happens to me most often the NY Time app. It happens very quickly and can be really hard to see if you are not paying attention.

I am unsure if it is a hardware or software flaw. I'm hoping it is the latter and that it can be fixed via a software update. For now I'm keeping mine.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Quote Originally Posted by dralezero View Post
    Flashing lines or tearing (bad at 3:15)
    This is exactly what mine is doing. Like I said it doesn't appear to be getting worse. I'm hoping it's a driver/software issue and will be addressed with an update soon.

Sent from my Nexus 7