Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By miller7796
  • 1 Post By NickA
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default transfer photos from camera to nexus tablet

Wondering if there is any way to directly transfer photos from the memory card in my camera (Nixon Coolpix P100) to my Nexus tablet. Seems like this would require a transfer app and probably a special cable to connect the camera to the tablet. Might also work by connecting a small card reader to the tablet. Again, would require an appropriate app and cable.

thanks,
    jay

Default Re: transfer photos from camera to nexus tablet

You need to root, get a USB OTG cable and card reader. See below for more info.

How to: Use your USB flash drives with the Nexus 7 [root] | Android Central
    Thanked by 2:
    La Luna likes this.

Global Posts
    2,516 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Get an eye-fi card. They sell them at Best Buy and other retailers. Here is the link to their site with info on the P100.

Download the eye-fi app from the Play store here.

You can have it transfer the pics as soon as you take the picture, or you can download them all at once. There's even a feature that will delete the pic from the card after dumping it to your tablet. They call this "endless memory" mode.

The whole thing works great. And add some type of simple photo editing app on your Nexus 7, and you can edit your pic right away.
    Thanked by:
    Ntchwaidumela likes this.

Depending on your camera, root is not required:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/goo...-required.html

Or there is now an app on the Play store that provides the ability to download pics from an SD card using an OTG w/o needing root. But you can't manage files on the SD card (delete pics etc.) w/o root.

Global Posts
    2,516 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Why root and have cables hanging all over the place? Just use the wireless eye-fi card? What is the advantage of rooting, getting a cable and card reader?

You can also transfer photos using OTG if your camera supports pictbridge transfer. Gallery will come up on the Nexus 7 as app to use. Just choose pictbridge on your camera and it is recognized by Nexus 7. Most digital cameras support pictbridge.

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rindog View Post
    You can also transfer photos using OTG if your camera supports pictbridge transfer. Gallery will come up on the Nexus 7 as app to use. Just choose pictbridge on your camera and it is recognized by Nexus 7. Most digital cameras support pictbridge.

My OTG cable came today and works great with 2 cameras - automatically shows in the gallery and then I can import. However, I tried with another camera (the one I want to use) and I can't get it to work. I get a display on the camera that says use PC or Pictbridge. I selected Pictbridge, but then nothing happens. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The other option is to use the app Nexus Media Importer to import your photos, if you have that installed already it should work. If not it is a valuable app to have.

The other option is to use the app Nexus Media Importer to import your photos, if you have that installed already it should work. If not it is a valuable app to have.
    Or, for viewing only and to make sure it's compatible with that camera, try the free Nexus Photo Viewer first, by the same developer. If it works, then Media Importer should also work, which allows for transferring the file onto the N7.

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

Thanks, I'll try that. But, I'd rather not have to carry the sd card reader with me. Is there something I should be doing when I plug my camera in after I select PictBridge? Nothing happens after I select it.

The simplest, cable-free, on-the-go option would be to invest in a wireless SD card.

Quote Originally Posted by jrwatson View Post
    The simplest, cable-free, on-the-go option would be to invest in a wireless SD card.
    hehe, I dunno about simple, but I agree it is at least wireless.

I don't see the problem with a physical transfer of the SD card to a reader attached to the N7 and Nexus Photo Importer (free) or over a wireless or wired connection to a laptop or desktop.

It is all personal preference - I mean you can buy an elago USB reader, 32 GB microSD card and otg adapter (<30 bux) that will all fit on your keychain or use the included cable that will fit in your front pocket, so how difficult is any of that to carry ?

Considering a mere 33 years ago I purchased the state of the art 10 Megabyte 5.25 inch hard disk for my pc for 3 grand. Let's not get too spoiled eh ?

K9, when you plug in your camera and turn it on and then select pictbridge does Gallery open up on the Nexus 7 or do you have it open already and under albums you should see your camera in one of the Album squares in Gallery and then tap that album and import. Under 4.2, it does seem to be working slightly different than 4.1 did.

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

K9, when you plug in your camera and turn it on and then select pictbridge does Gallery open up on the Nexus 7 or do you have it open already and under albums you should see your camera in one of the Album squares in Gallery and then tap that album and import. Under 4.2, it does seem to be working slightly different than 4.1 did.
    Rindog - having mixed results. Sometimes when I plug it in and then turn on, it goes to the gallery but not every time. But even when it goes to the gallery, it's not showing the square with the camera. Interestingly, it did work twice when I tried it, but it hasn't worked about 20 times! Can't figure out why

Batteries almost dead after taking pictures you won't be able to transfer.

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

Tried new battery, same issue. Works sometimes, doesn't work others.

I bought a SD card reader USB stick adapter thing on newegg. I haven't got it yet. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA0TJ07A6850

Quote Originally Posted by k9cachers View Post
    Tried new battery, same issue. Works sometimes, doesn't work others.
    K9, do you have a good fit with the OTG cable, particularly the micro usb fit. If it works at times and then doesn't work maybe the cable is not making good contact. I have read a number of posts where individuals have had bad OTG cables.

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

It seems like the cable fits ok. I did find that if I turn off the Nexus and restart - it seems to work when I connect the camera

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

Finally got this to work!! Got 2 new cables from the company. It still only worked 1 out of 10 times or so. Was getting very frustrated. Had bought a USB SD Card reader - but couldn't get that to work either. Decided to purchase the Nexus Media Importer. Worked like a charm with the USB SD card reader. That app was the best $2.99 I've spent! Thanks everyone for their help.

How about from Android smart phone to Nexus 7?

Upload to google then download to Nexus 7 probably best way huh?

Many thanks for this info.