Who's swapping for the 3G N7?

SeanBlader

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
No way, 3g would be a battery killer on the Nexus 7. Better to be off network and using local content than paying for an extra data bill.

dralezero

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm not surprised that any new version would come out soon and base my decision on if I want it now or to wait. Even perhaps another version with a quality rear camera (which I could use, since I am ridding of my phone). For me it was to get rid of my phone sooner as well to same some money. But its been almost two months and have I gotten around to doing that yet? Nope lol.

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
A 3G tablet would be a waste of money for current Android users because it's so easy to tether. I can't find a single reason why an Android user would even consider a 3G tablet if he/she already is a Nexus 7 owner.

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Nope, I already feel that my $30 a month fee is going to waste (I don't travel much) no way would I pay yet another bill when I can tether.

Also, it will receive updates slower since it's carrier branded.

+1 THIS, nice catch Choco, hadn't even thought of that one.

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
No, tether to my phones or wife everywhere is enough for me.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

I only tether to my wife at home. Well maybe if we get drunk we'll tether in the back seat.

:D:D:D

Gotta love that word replacement feature! I'm real careful when I use my company email with my current keyboard. Seems there are at least half a dozen words that when typed, it wants to substitute "P E N I S". Could be em-bare-assed by that.

Last edited:

lizards4444

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Nope, I pretty much only use it at home, and if not, most places have free WiFi now, or I can always tether

seriyb

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
tether from my Nexus phone to Nexus 7... why pay extra for 3g data when you can do it for free.
but i understand people needing the 3G.. but i dont think its for me.

Yep. All you have to do it turn on Tethering with 2 clicks (launch and enable) and your tablet automatically connects.
My phone is always on me so it really will never be an issue. I have better ways of spending those $120 (probably not even including tax) per year on another line.

Also, if you have 3G running at all times, you may inadvertently run up the data bill from all kinds of background syncing, etc.

Lastly, 3G is kinda weak. If you have an LTE tethering phone, you are golden.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Anyone planning on switching to a dumbphone and using a 3G Nexus 7?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

TheIowaKid

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Use case scenario for me would be using it in my car. I use Straight Talk (ATT) currently and tethering to stream non-locally stored music gets me throttled all the time. I would use the 3g N7 if it was unlocked. I would pay to have a tmo 5GB card just for it. All in all my bill would still be cheaper than most peoples and I wouldn't have to worry about being throttled.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

spectremANDROID.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I think I've already mentioned here that, not only would I have waited AND paid more for the 3G device, but I feel quite betrayed by Google because, if memory serves me correctly, its usually mentioned or at least hinted as a possibility that there will be both WiFi only and cellular versions of these types of devices. This development just feels underhanded to me. It robbed me of my ability to choose the most personally fitting version of the device the first time out. It would be different if we were talking about a new version of the device being released a year later.

I want to say I'll pass because of my irritation with this development, but the lack of cellular connectivity has been the only true sore spot in my experience with the device since I got it, so, bothered as I am, I'll probably still find some way to get the 3G device and either offset or justify the expenditure.

I think Google really should offer a buy-back or trade-in program on this device, for people in my position.

Last edited:

kajunklown

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
I am seriously considering it..... I don't have WiFi from the time I leave the house til I get home

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

spectremANDROID.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Anyone planning on switching to a dumbphone and using a 3G Nexus 7?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

I did this, kinda out of necessity. Had to make some hard sacrifices and reboot my budget. Sold my smartphone, left Sprint and went to a fairly basic prepaid situation. Got the Nexus 7 to compensate.

A 3G N7 would actually have eliminated my need for the prepaid cellular as I simply don't use the phone very much and have been carrying my WiFi only N7 EVERYWHERE since I got it. I do a lot of VoIP calling from it simply because my phone is SO LAME and bothersome to use, but also because my cellular plan has no international calling, the phone has no tethering or video chat capability and my wife lives in Hong Kong right now.

I needed to have the cellular option.

Thanks Google

I love you but, you suck!

Last edited:

MMcCraryNJ

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
A very important thing to keep in mind with a potential 3G version is that if it's going to be sold through carriers, expect slower updates.

Jussumguy88

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
I only tether to my wife at home. Well maybe if we get drunk we'll tether in the back seat.

:D:D:D

Gotta love that word replacement feature! I'm real careful when I use my company email with my current keyboard. Seems there are at least half a dozen words that when typed, it wants to substitute "P E N I S". Could be em-bare-assed by that.

Lol. This made me laugh. Haha.

But on topic, WiFi only is fine enough for me. Gonna try and sell my droid x(won't get much for it) and grab me a used gnexus off of amazon or eBay. That way I'll be able to tether 4g vs the 3g that I tether now with my droid x. So no...I won't buy..nor doing regret my purchase

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

F34R

F34RTEHDR01D
Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Nope, I already feel that my $30 a month fee is going to waste (I don't travel much) no way would I pay yet another bill when I can tether.

Also, it will receive updates slower since it's carrier branded.

Amen to that.

OT - I'd definitely NOT choose a 3g model... read above.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams