Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    2,447 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Who's swapping for the 3G N7?

AC reported today that a 3g N7 was in the works and launching within weeks. Would you have purchased the wf-fi only N7 had you known a 3g version was coming out?

I tether to my GNex, but it kills the battery on my phone. I'm all for a 3g model. I think I would take it with me more with the 3g connectivity.

So who's going to get one?
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
    Ry, pepper rundle and jakestorm like this.

Serious.... frack. Yes I would have gotten the 3g. I travel quite a bit so 3g would have been great. Hopefully the dimensions are the same so I can use the portenzo case I have on order.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Default Re: Who's swapping for the 3G N7?

Nope, don't need it. Wifi pretty much available in most places, even the camp site i usually go to. I can tether to my Rezound when that's not avaialble, and wouldn't be for extended periods anyway. I have an 8000maH portable charger that can recharge my N7 and my HTC Rezound twice from under 25% charge.
    Maxwell was the 1st "Smart" phone user......

tether from my Nexus phone to Nexus 7... why pay extra for 3g data when you can do it for free.
    but i understand people needing the 3G.. but i dont think its for me.
    markyoung04 likes this.

i can tether. besides, I don't really use my tablet away from wifi, and even if I did, having unlimited data, I'd have to switch plans AFAIK and there is zero chance of me doing that. regardless of the plan deals, I'm not willing to spend ANY more money, just to have an N7 on 3G, which is too slow for my liking, anyways.

I'm considering picking up the N7 very soon, but I will be going the WIFI route. I want access on the move then I'll just tether to my phone.

Other than the addition of 3g radio they claim there is no other hardware changes/improvements so I wouldn't expect to be looking for any fixes to existing hardware/build complaints.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.

Nope, I tether from my Samsung Galaxy, and not that often because I have free wifi all around me, plus I don't need or want the added cost for a 3g data plan.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    2,447 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by dave1812dave View Post
    i can tether. besides, I don't really use my tablet away from wifi, and even if I did, having unlimited data, I'd have to switch plans AFAIK and there is zero chance of me doing that. regardless of the plan deals, I'm not willing to spend ANY more money, just to have an N7 on 3G, which is too slow for my liking, anyways.
    Yeah, I forgot about the unlimited. I'm currently still unlimited on VZW. And the N7 being a media consumption device (for most people), I can see it going through a 2GB or 4GB plan in a week.

Nope, I already feel that my $30 a month fee is going to waste (I don't travel much) no way would I pay yet another bill when I can tether.

Also, it will receive updates slower since it's carrier branded.
    I am NOT the person set as my icon, and no, I don't know who she is.
    Thanked by:
    F34R and MrJazz like this.

3G is nice, but not a necessity for me. I take the N7 almost everywhere and tether it to my Galaxy Nexus. Lets hope the premium for a 3g radio isn't that high for those who opt for it.

Quote Originally Posted by rootbrain View Post
    Nope, don't need it. Wifi pretty much available in most places, even the camp site i usually go to. I can tether to my Rezound when that's not avaialble, and wouldn't be for extended periods anyway. I have an 8000maH portable charger that can recharge my N7 and my HTC Rezound twice from under 25% charge.
    Agreed. I use FoxFi on my Droid 4, and my portable charger fits both the phone and the N7, but rarely need this set up because wifi is usually available.

No, tether to my phones or wife everywhere is enough for me.

Sprint Galaxy S 2 Epic 4G Touch, Acer C7 Chromebook, Galaxy Exhibit II 4G

Global Posts
    524 Global Posts

I would totally go for a 3G version but only unless it was carrier unlocked like the Galaxy Nexus that Google sells right on their Play store.

Quote Originally Posted by Chocoburger View Post
    Nope, I already feel that my $30 a month fee is going to waste (I don't travel much) no way would I pay yet another bill when I can tether.

Couldn't have said it better. Some carrier will have their filthy rights to it.

On another note, why would it only be 3g capable? Faster to tether to 4g connection.

I definitely would if the 3g service wouldn't cost anything.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

ROM
    Jelly Bean

I'll stick to tethering to my GNex...LTE!!!
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,491 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by roblox84 View Post
    I definitely would if the 3g service wouldn't cost anything.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2
    lol
    Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

Nah, tethering does the job and having another bill is something I don't need .

I would just tether with my GNEX. Plus I don't want Verizon messing around with my tablet too.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    948 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by berrydroidapple View Post
    No, tether to my phones or wife everywhere is enough for me.

I'm sure you mean wifi, right?

LG Nexus 4 E960 Occam 44.2.2 JDQ39 / Nokia Lumia 920 / Samsung Galaxy Nexus I9250 Takju 4.2.2 JDQ39 / Asus Google Nexus 7 4.2.2 JDQ39
    MrJazz and MERCDROID like this.

Another GNexus user. I won't trade mine with any phone if no built-in hotspot, system selling feature for me.

No way, 3g would be a battery killer on the Nexus 7. Better to be off network and using local content than paying for an extra data bill.
    Disclaimer, I don't work at Google, I just live nearby and am a fan.

I'm not surprised that any new version would come out soon and base my decision on if I want it now or to wait. Even perhaps another version with a quality rear camera (which I could use, since I am ridding of my phone). For me it was to get rid of my phone sooner as well to same some money. But its been almost two months and have I gotten around to doing that yet? Nope lol.
    Banned

Global Posts
    4,377 Global Posts

A 3G tablet would be a waste of money for current Android users because it's so easy to tether. I can't find a single reason why an Android user would even consider a 3G tablet if he/she already is a Nexus 7 owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Chocoburger View Post

+1 THIS, nice catch Choco, hadn't even thought of that one.
    Maxwell was the 1st "Smart" phone user......
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast